Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

Anyway, this is the Button thread so...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-traffic-wardens-170K-McLaren-sports-car.html

article-0-0D78F84700000578-983_468x318.jpg

And removing races where only one driver finished, (Belgium 2010, and Canada and gb this year), and also excluding 2009, we end up with Jenson 93, Lewis 81. That includes Korea.

I fully agree with Cfs that stats are not the whole picture, but they are part of it.

Aust 2010 shouldn't be counted..JB did not have track position...went in for tyres......team had to rush, he only radioed as he entered pits. This helped him win the race. Mclaren want points for CC.....Lewis doesn't complain, but had JB radioed in...LH in first......race win? Where does that leave the points?

Aust 2010 shouldn't be counted..JB did not have track position...went in for tyres......team had to rush, he only radioed as he entered pits. This helped him win the race. Mclaren want points for CC.....Lewis doesn't complain, but had JB radioed in...LH in first......race win? Where does that leave the points?

Simply read the tables, and remove all the results that you want to until you see the result you want to see.

I spotted the error when you posted it but the discussion had moved on then and i got sidetracked. Even a cursory look at the numbers would indicate that your figures are too high for a start looking at the races. I'll definitely cede on the point that Jenson has the best overall record. However, when you ignore the 2009 results when he had the outright best car in the first half of the season when he won those races, it's pretty much even between him and Hamilton. Let us know if you want the numbers.

our stats are actually exactly the same other than you've given half points for the Malaysia race and are still using the old scoring system for 2009 whilst I already stated I was using the current scoring system. As for including the 2009 races - they were the rules you set out when you asked someone to do the stats.

*edit* not number crunching doing my ironing if you must know :)

But if you want to change all the rules and adjust the scoring to make yourself feel better then feel free too Q. We all know the real score.

As for 'removing the races both car's didn't finsih' doesn't that defeat the object?

Guys, this argument is going round and round and round. Some of you think Jenson is good in the wet/changeable conditions others think he isn't. You've gone through every wet/dry race since 1952 to prove or disprove your theories and points of view and no one's opinion has changed.

I don't want to be a grumpy git, and I'd had to have to lock this thread, but it's degenerating into yah boo, 606 stuff. If you can stick to facts, discussion about Jenson Button and avoid revisionist theories it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

FB

Yes indeed. But Button has had two retirements due to mechanical problems and not in any way his fault. In both cases he was headed for a probable fourth position. Assuming fifth in each he would have scored and extra 20 points, taking him up to second in the championship. Hamilton may be in front of him but morally Button has the high ground. However WDCs are not won on maybes.

Night, night.

lewis got 2 more dnfs than button last season,2 of which were not his fault.but he still ended up with 26 more points.
so jenson with only 1 more dnf shouldnt have a problem finishing the season more than 26 points ahead of lewis if they both finish the season with the amount of dnfs they have now.
actually if you look at the bigger picture and then compare the drivers you realize why its closer than it should be.
yes button does have 1 more dnf this season which lewis has benefitted from.but button has benefitted from hamiltons bad luck this season too.he also benefitted from it last season also.
button is good in changeable conditions,but luck has to be massively on his side.

So has every other driver except Michael Schumacher. in his first stint of F1except running into the back of DC at Spa 1998...looking at the current grid only Michael Schumacher has a better wet weather/ changeable conditions record than Jenson Button

in changeable conditions lewis usually drives better than jenson.but jenson for some reason gets very lucky on strategy or a safety car comes out at just the right time for him.i dont see jenson do anything amazing in changeable conditions which wins him the race.its strategy and luck which wins him the race.
he just drives the car around the track within its limits.
if for example jenson and lewis raced in changeable conditions on tyres that would last the whole race,who would win?my money would be on lewis,because he is alot faster in wet and changeable conditions than button.

imo jenson might be the best driver currently at looking after his tyres in changeable conditions,but that doesnt make him the best driver in changeable conditions.
i think if the other top drivers had tyres on their cars capable of lasting the whole race in changeable conditions,jenson would win very few of those races if any.
so i just think he's the best at looking after his tyres in changeable conditions.but is that because he drives his car within its limits for most of the race.or it it because he's a highly skilled driver?

.....i think if the other top drivers had tyres on their cars capable of lasting the whole race in changeable conditions,jenson would win very few of those races if any.....

It's a matter of making the best of what is allowed. They all have the same tyres, some are better at using them than others. The evidence is that Button is one of the best drivers in changeable conditions under the current regulations.

It's a matter of making the best of what is allowed. They all have the same tyres, some are better at using them than others. The evidence is that Button is one of the best drivers in changeable conditions under the current regulations.

The evidence may be interpreted to mean that Button is the best driver in changeable conditions. Evidence and conclusions are two different things. He is certainly up there, and yes, perhaps the best but the results don't always tell the story of the race and if you look at these races from lights to flag and consider the external factors then you can easily arrive at different conclusions. Ones which are equally valid.

The evidence may be interpreted to mean that Button is the best driver in changeable conditions.

You said it, not me!

Evidence and conclusions are two different things. He is certainly up there, and yes, perhaps the best but the results don't always tell the story of the race and if you look at these races from lights to flag and consider the external factors then you can easily arrive at different conclusions. Ones which are equally valid.

It seems to me that you are under the impression that I said that Button was the best. I didn't, apologies if you did not mean that.

Back
Top Bottom