Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

Pardon my incompetence but was China 2007 held in wet/mixed conditions??

Yes. China 2007 was held in changable conditions.

The point scorers were:
  1. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)
  2. Fernando Alonso (McLaren)
  3. Felipe Massa (Ferrari)
  4. Sebastian Vettel (Toro Rosso)
  5. Jenson Button (Earth Car)
  6. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Toro Rosso)
  7. Nick Heidfeld (BMW Sauber)
  8. David Coulthard (Red Bull)

I never heard of a rainmaster that came last of all the established teams in the rain

Rainmaster (regenmeister) is supposed to beat all others, regardless of car, because his mastery in the wet transcends car advantage

In Korea 2010 the only cars Jenson beat were those of the 3 teams popularly accepted to be the absolute back of the grid, HRT, Lotus and Virgin

He was beaten by everyone else

I never heard excuses made for rainmasters

I think that there are several "Rainmasters" currently in F1. Cookin's definition of "rain master" would indicate that there can be only one, given that none of the current drivers is Christopher Lambert I can only disagree. :)

By that token every current driver is a rainmaster, no?

So we all agree that Button is not the absolute best in the rain?

Vettel for example is not less better than Jenson?

Ha ha, an interesting leap!
There are a handful of rainmasters currently including Alonso, Hamilton and Schumacher. Jenson is a (not necessarily the) master of drytodamptowettodamptodrytodamp conditions.

Jenson is a (not necessarily the) master of drytodamptowettodamptodrytodamp conditions.

Ok, all drivers have skills, the best are the ones that have most points

So romantic notions aside, Jenson is a good driver and we do not have to attribute mythical accolades like the absolute best in certain conditions, would have murdered Prost in the wet, would have won where Rosberg didnt

etc etc

So it is now acceptable to use one race as a measure of a drivers career?

I am not saying Korea was a good race for Jenson, but there were so many other things in play that seem to be overlooked. Would it be acceptable to judge lewis Hamilton by monza 10? Massa by silverstone 08? No. People do, and are taken to task, but one race does not make or break a driver, and however much people say it does not make it true.

The results in changeable conditions have been presented, and people can interpret that how they want. Personally, I do not see Jenson as a rainmaster, but his record in certain conditions is very good. This does not give him mythical powers, but it is a skill which should be acknowledged. Sorry if that upsets some people.

As for the other bits, opinions rather than fact I suppose, which is unproven either way.

I am really not sure why he polarized opinion so much, possibly more so than any driver (am I allowed to say that?) and I think his real level lies somewhere between the extremes.

Jenson Button used to be a likeable guy but fame has gone to his head.

I was conducting an interview with him in 2009 and he broke it off to take a call on his mobile. To me, that’s the height of bad manners. He seems to have changed enormously as a person on the back of his F1 success. I don’t even think he deserved to be world champion. There’s no way he’d have won in 2009 if everyone had been driving similar cars. Quite simply, there’s no way he’s the best F1 driver. Lewis Hamilton is a far better driver and a nicer person.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2027409/Tamara-Ecclestone-My-surname-curse-blessing.html#ixzz1VeOBBXdi

So it is now acceptable to use one race as a measure of a drivers career?

This is wildly off the mark. The discussion is about skill in wet/changeable conditions. I think even his critics would admit that generally Jenson is a good driver and has done well in above mentioned conditions without being labelled the outright best. At least you acknowledge he is no rain master.

But the Korea scenario is used a lot, three times in the last two pages alone. My point is that he has won 4 races in changeable conditions in the last two seasons, and has had Korea, a bad race, so which is the more likely?

Also, I believe he has scored more points in the defined mixed races than any other driver since 09. I appreciate that each race has different reasons for each driver finishing where they did, but it seems that detractors are almost too willing to leap on korea as an example of his level, (appreciate the opposite may also be true) where there is significant evidence to the contrary.

As for the tamara ecclestone interview, I am not sure that her opinion has any more validity than yours or mine.

Tamara Ecclestone's opinion is not going to be admissible evidence in the court of my opinion, especially when it comes from such a manipulative, error-strewn rag as the Daily Mail.

Yes but you suggested that his career was under discussion when this wasn't the case. I think we need to look beyond the last two pages to see why Korea is being singled out. Silverstone 08 has also been mentioned. Korea is used a lot more because unlike the other 4races he won, strategy wasn't an influencing factor and this is where I think Jenson excels not outright wet/mixed weather driving skills.

Edit:The Tamara Ecclestone article was posted for just a bit of fun but her opinion about 2009 is generally shared by many.

Korea 2010 does not define his career but it does show us that at a race where strategic or tyre decisions made little difference, Jensons wet driving skills drove him backwards

His wet driving skills are no better than Sebs, Lewis, Nico etc

His skills at remaining calm and making the right gambles in confused conditions have maybe paid off more than his younger rivals

No, it tells us he had a bad race at korea. I would think that however bad you think jenson is, that finishing where he did, wet, dry, snow, etc or otherwise is anything other than a bad race. You can continue to read whatever you like into it however.

Q, agreed regarding the career bit, but it seems that the discussion about his career usually gets stuck in about the same place, hence it is sometimes tricky to judge just what is being discussed, regardless of the words used. The spirit of the point still remains, but I agree in context of the discussion only, not his career.

Q, also, Tamaras opinion may be shared by many, it may not, that just makes it one more opinion, with no more validity because it was published. I am fairly sure I could trawl the internet and find many things about many drivers which back up my opinions, but it would make the opinions no more valid, nor more accurate.

As I said, I didn't post it for anything other than just a bit of fun so no need to be all up in arms about it.. In all fairness she does come across as a bit dense sometimes.

I think Tamara is a very astute judge of character and demonstrates great knowledge of the realities of F1

She will probably take over from Bernie at some stage and take it all to the the next level

LOL

Back
Top Bottom