Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

Jenson may have similar points than Lewis but he's not fast enough in Qually. Jenson should just accept what's being offered because Lewis was signed pre-recession.

Slow in qualifying but ahead on points. What do points make? Money.

Anyone who was signed pre-recession was going to get a better package than post-recession. We're on the edge of another recession. Especially in Europe.

There is no recession in F1. Ask Bernie.

I'm sure Kimi would sign for McLaren now that they have a winning car again and he isn't constrained by a huge bag of Ferrari money. (That's if Kimi's interested.)

Ever the optimist. Whilst talking to my Finnish friend in Germany he opined that Raikkonen would never come back, it is not in the nature of Finns to do so. Been there, done that.

I'm willing to bet Kimi would be faster than Jenson and make less errors than Lewis.

We will never know.

Kimi in that McLaren would be a sweet site again. :) ...And, he's still the most recent King Of Spa! Hehe ;)

Which "site" do you mean? The building sight? Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

I'm sure that King Albert II would contest that.

I just don't understand why Jenson gets no love......nice chap, and great hair.

images

Daniel Craig....eat your heart out.

I reckon Brawn will have him back.

Yeah I think a Merc Mclaren swap Button for Rosberg would probably work nicely for all involved. Jenson will have his team back and might be sitting pretty or when Merc finally produce that race winning car(which will happen eventually) and Nico feels like he's got his big shot by going to Mclaren and taking on his carting buddy Lewis.

Would also mean we had the 4 best drivers on the grid in the 4 big teams on the grid (I'll put IMO here so the thread doesn't go crazy).

I doubt it'll happen though. Mclaren will resign him. Although I do like the idea of Jenson in a shiney ref Ferrari pretending him and Fernando are best of mates as he runs into him going down to first corner in Australia.

Yeah I think a Merc Mclaren swap Button for Rosberg would probably work nicely for all involved. Jenson will have his team back and might be sitting pretty or when Merc finally produce that race winning car(which will happen eventually) and Nico feels like he's got his big shot by going to Mclaren and taking on his carting buddy Lewis.

Would also mean we had the 4 best drivers on the grid in the 4 big teams on the grid (I'll put IMO here so the thread doesn't go crazy).

I doubt it'll happen though. Mclaren will resign him. Although I do like the idea of Jenson in a shiney ref Ferrari pretending him and Fernando are best of mates as he runs into him going down to first corner in Australia.

Now if Nico were to outclass Hammy like he's outclassing Schumi, that would certainly put an end to his doubters. Seranaide would still insist Alonso is better and Ray would still insist Vettel is better, however.

Now if Nico were to outclass Hammy like he's outclassing Schumi, that would certainly put an end to his doubters. Seranaide would still insist Alonso is better and Ray would still insist Vettel is better, however.

A wiseman once said "What The" I don't really get into the whole "mine is better than yours" debates, and if I do it is all tongue and cheek. I mean, I thought so much was obvious!!!:p

What if Jenson finished ahead of Lewis this season and then went to Ferrari and beat Fernando? Would you all drop to the floor and declare him the greatest?

Uhhhh, probably not, but surfice to say, I wouldn't really be all pissed about it. I really do hope that people are not getting the opinion that if anyone beats Nando me boy, that It will be like "gosh the world is ending", really there are bigger things to fret about.......like when I am going to get my next beer.

What if Jenson finished ahead of Lewis this season and then went to Ferrari and beat Fernando? Would you all drop to the floor and declare him the greatest?

It's entirely possible and my already huge respect for him would grow even further. However, I'd rather watch Lewis come third than watch Jenson win. It comes back to that "entertainment" thing which floats some people's boats but sinks others.

Martin Whitmarsh said:
Jenson will be here next year. We know that, he knows that. There’s nothing complicated about it. But we’re looking to do a deal that will see him race for McLaren for the rest of his career.
That may be for the next three years or the next five years. Who knows? Jenson is a mature and very intelligent guy. And he is still as fit as a flea and still hungry to race. He could take on an ambassador’s role for McLaren.
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/09/behind-the-button-contract-story/

It seems also that Hamilton is not the only one who has been sounding out Red Bull...

Button had some discussions with Red Bull, but team owner Dietrich Mateschitz has a long personal relationship with Mark Webber and this seems to have overridden whatever anyone else in the team might have wanted.
Martin Whitmarsh said:
Jenson's done some of the most spectacular drives in the history of Formula 1 this year. And I think he's capable of even more.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14855057.stm

Ray would still insist Vettel is better, however.

I think so. Vettel was being talked about as a huge threat to Hamilton-Alonso as early as the final third of 2008. Button certainly wasn't...though he won the title in 2009.

Alonso has such a big following because:

1. Schumacher haters wanted to like someone else (Kimi or Nando);

2. Hamilton haters wanted to like someone else (Kimi or Nando)

Hamilton has such a big following because - as a mere rookie - he unhinged the guy who ended Schumacher's title reign.

To me, Vettel is faster than Alonso and doesn't make as many mistakes. Not anymore. Alonso in his 8th or 9th year is still making mistakes...and he didn't really beat anyone in-team other than Fisichella and Massa (who had only one very good season (2008)). He certainly didn't beat Trulli in 2004 or Hamilton in 2007.

I don't know if Vettel is faster than Hamilton...but he's matured a heck of a lot since his low period (the Summer of 2010: Silverstone-Hungary-Spa). I think Vettel makes less errors than Hamilton and is considered very intelligent.

Button is mature and consitent...but his ultimate raw pace is lacking. You can see it in his qualifying of McLarens into places which makes it hard work in races.

In terms of overall pure pace, consistency and minimal driving errors, I don't think there's anyone better than Vettel...at least not in terms of baggage.

Button had some baggage in '01,'05 but has gotten rid of it. Hamilton has a little baggage too (2007, 'Liegate') but it's minimal.

Alonso has shit piles of baggage. Vettel has none...and I like that. :thumbsup:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/09/behind-the-button-contract-story/

It seems also that Hamilton is not the only one who has been sounding out Red Bull...

Button had some discussions with Red Bull, but team owner Dietrich Mateschitz has a long personal relationship with Mark Webber and this seems to have overridden whatever anyone else in the team might have wanted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14855057.stm

As they say anything can happen in F1

No one predicted Prost would be fired by Renault in 1983 and then join Mclaren and enter a period of dominance

No one predicted Prost would be fired by Ferrari in 1991 and sat out 1992 before coming back in 1993 to win the title

No one predicted Alonso after having a water tight contract with Mclaren and buying himself after 1 year

I think Jenson is just trying to have more bargaining power if he knows Ferrari and Red Bull would be interested in him as leverage...he wants an increased pay from his £6m a year to closer to £15m or so Lewis is on

If he keeps up his form then he can justify it surely.

I find the Red Bull situation interestingto hear Webber deals with Dieter directly which must annoy Helmut in trying to promote his stable of young drivers

What if Button beat Lewis but Lewis beat Alonso and Alonso beat Vettel but Vettel beat Button????

Well there is clearly enough time for others to get involved. There needs to be a half-decent team-mate everyone should be able to beat easily if they're excellent but not if they're average. Lets see if I can find one...

f-one.jpg

All this means is by adding my control I can conclude that Kimi Raikkonen is awful, especially compared with Nick Heidfeld, thus irritating Ray.

However, I would suggest that Jenson is an excellent driver, especially in certain climactic conditions.

Personally, it seems that Jenson might have won a World Title with the right car. Its just a pity that car never came along...

Sorry, I thought it was 2008. And because that sentence is not true, I honestly don't think he has any doubts about himself, and I think he gives even less of a :censored: about what we think than he previously did!

Back
Top Bottom