Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

image.png

Dithering or disinterested? Personally, I'm not sure just how good the Williams seat will be next year, and therefore whether it would be better to move on rather than watch the Mclarens step on again and beat you, effectively taking a step down the grid.

And I am not sure what constitutes "banging down the door" especially if JB was still hopeful of a McLaren drive next year. it is rumoured that the conversations have already taken place, but it is just a rumour, and I don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

It certainly adds a little more interest to the silly season this year.

I do think though that Vandoorne will be in the McLaren next season, and rightly so.

To be honest, if Button is dithering then moving on from F1 would be his best option. Endurance racing beckons for one of the finest mixed conditions drivers out there.

On particular why would Perez leave FI after the leaps forward that they have taken recently whilst Williams have continued their slow slide down the order?

JB couldn't drive for Williams because they are unable to deliver a pay packet even close to what he's been collecting at McLaren for the last 7 years. Pretty sure he would stick with them for as long as they would have him, regardless of car performance. And I definitely do not see Button toying with the Indy 500.

If it's a pay packet that keeps Button motivated then any follow on career after F1 is unlikely to involve continuing to drive then.

I know button from interviews is interested more winning than money. Especially that top gear interview when he talking about birth of brawn & how he took a i believe something like a 80% paycut. & I wonder whether button quote about a competitive car has a point because i might be barking up the wrong tree but i think dominant Mercedes-Benz engine masked alot of chassis problems performance wise & should be no coincidence that as engine manufacturers have been gradually closing the gap to Mercedes. Williams have gone backwards down the grid

I'm not sure what to think about this- it'd be nice to believe he'll rejoin the grid in 2018 at the wheel of a finally-competitive McHonda...but I can't see it happening, not in my heart of hearts, not even though JB is my favourite driver. It seems a better bet than another year spent tugging about in the midfield either at McLaren, or another team. I can't help feeling though, that if the Honda is remotely quick enough next year, then Alonso is more likely to sign an extension than not, which would keep JB off the grid in '18. Vandoorne is too good a prospect, and has been thoroughly patient this season, not to be a long-term bet for His Ronship.

If Button goes out of F1 it will be for good. He's not, despite his loveliness, a favoured part of the Dennis family of drivers where a door will always be held open for him. I think Ron would still take Mika back even now.

Vandoorne only has to come in and get close to Alonso and it's goodnight and good luck Jense.

A sad way to go out really. No dignified retirement more of a shuffle off into nothingness.

I think the time has come for Button. McLaren news someone for Alonso's annual early season week off though.

He'll be remembered for me as the man who won the World Championship to huge doubts and then spent the next six years thoroughly dispelling them.

There are a few drivers in F1 who are faster in outright pace than Button, but I doubt any are smarter in terms of maximising the 300km of a race distance.

He's gone toe-to-toe with three World Champions in the same team and beaten them all at least once. He changed for inters at the right moment unnervingly often.

He'd have done better in his career had he had fewer Honda engines. He cringed less than Hamilton during McLaren Tooned. Apparently, he's a lovely boy too.

Delighted for vandoorne 1 the best drivers in junior formula I seen & on par maybe just higher than lewis or hulkenburg . In 2 yrs he Broke nearly every Gp2 record (most wins, poles, podiums, highest win %, points & points in a season) Always great to see talent not money make f1. Even if he shouldve got a seat this year instead of the stupid super formula.

But Find Jenson Button decision a bit strange as hes not retiring but hes not racing & instead i believe have a ambassadorial sabbatical . But others taken sabbaticals Mansell Hakkinen & Prost, but 2017 will strange because been watching him every season since i was 9 in march 2000 & was the guy 1st British guy to cheer on. That 06 Hungarian gp & 11 Canadian GP he won both. Always go down as my 2 favourite races. But Button wont go down as a great because i feel he will go underrated but 1 of the greatest wet & mixed conditions driver f1 has ever had. You'll tell the difference between the dedicated & casual f1 fan on the ranking of Button

But as others have speculated have they accidentally announced Alonso retirement or his leaving date because alonso already said he will be leaving if he doesnt like the new cars & being in the midfield if its status quo wont help & 3 into 2 wont go. vandoorne won't be going anywhere & button wouldn't be staying if he didnt want to race in 2018

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom