Head To Head Jenson Button vs Lewis Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Button has won only 5 races from pole out of his 14 victories - which I think its fair to say makes him the most likely winner from not-pole of the current grid.

And 4 of those came in the year he won the championship. He has also won more races in 2009 than any other year bar this one. In fact I think his win percentage from pole position is 100%, ergo

But Jenson Button does mostly rely on safety cars, rain and competitors being knocked out to do so. Not exactly superior racecraft compared to the top of the field and he has been in a position (through his own lower qualifying) where taking gambles is easier to do. More poles for Jenson would equal more wins. Simple.

But Jenson Button does mostly rely on safety cars, rain and competitors being knocked out to do so. Not exactly superior racecraft compared to the top of the field and he has been in a position (through his own lower qualifying) where taking gambles is easier to do. More poles for Jenson would equal more wins. Simple.

Which raises the question- why don't the other drivers still beat JB in those cases if they're so much better? It just sounds like another excuse to try and belittle Button's achievements!

the fact that Jenson is one of few drivers who does not regularly rely on pole or front row to be a winner shows he has superb race craft okay not the same level as say Prost or Alonso but still deserves respect

Respect he gets plenty but his relatively average qualifying record is the reason his championship credentials will always suffer. And to add to this - if a driver of Jenson's experience hasn't got good racecraft then he hasn't learned anything in all those years.

Which raises the question- why don't the other drivers still beat JB in those cases if they're so much better? It just sounds like another excuse to try and belittle Button's achievements!

I'll say it again shall I?

Firstly where he's qualified lower there are less points available by playing it safe and he's in a position to gamble as opposed to those at the front who have more to lose. It's paid off on a few of those wet occasions.

Secondly, if his competitors are no longer in the race then it by default makes it a little on the impossible side to beat him.

So. Not at all an attempt to belittle him. To say he has better race craft as though this is apparently more desirable/makes him a better driver, than someone that can put the car on pole and win more races, is in my eyes an attempt to belittle Hamilton's achievements.

Thoughts?

Hamberg obviously Lewis is a great driver and nobody can deny that, but sometimes he lets his emotions get in the way of being the best he can be, as Sir Stirling Moss once said Lewis is a great driver but Jenson has got it up there, he pointed to his head at that point....

I don't think any of us are in a position to say that Moss doesn't know what he is talking about...

.....if his competitors are no longer in the race then it by default makes it a little on the impossible side to beat him.

So. Not at all an attempt to belittle him.

Hmmm......

I would absolutely agree, that there is no need to belittle either driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom