Football Euro 2012

I'm sure San Marino will win it! Anyway, I'm surprised that there is no Micah Richards - he is amazing for Man City.

It is a pretty poor squad on paper. And they usually play better on paper than they do on grass, too.

If Johnson gets injured, who's the right back? Jones? Milner?

Probably Jones. Could be Downing though, because he's not in the squad because he's a good winger.

Also we've not yet tried Gerrard there. Someday we'll find a position where he'll play well for England*.

*Most likely the position he was in throughout 2011 - i.e. not in the squad.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?! How old is he? 26?! That's like Kevin Prince Boateng! And would have had Ferdinand in too but...
405142_154036684727160_102991889831640_197433_1562299985_n.jpg
BTW this is fake!

Milner, Downing, and Carroll have done nothing this season.If England get past the Quarter Finals then i would say that they have had a good tournament with that squad.

If England get to the final group game with anything to play for they'll have done better than I expect. Presumably Carroll will be the lone striker against the French? That will give Laurent Blanc a few sleepless nights. Or split sides, more likely.

Georgia have put in a bid as well.

Knowing UEFA they would probably win. However they would have to rig qualifying so Russia couldn't make it to the finals.

Jos the Boss

Ruddy's only 25 and would be going as a Number 3 goalie behind Joe Hart and Robert Green. I think Hodgson's thought were to give the lad some tournament experience and hope that one day he'll be Joe Harts understudy for years to come.

Hodgson's squad is ok IMHO i think we'll get out of the group stages but not go past the quarters. Even as a Boro fan who still loves Stewart Downing i really don't think he should be going to the Euro's. IMHO I think Hodgson should have taken Lennon. Sturridge or A Johnson instead, All three would offer more than him for the type of players we have up front.

Wasn't overally surprised to see Ferinand miss out, I don't think he's done it for England in recent times and isn't the world class centre back he used to be. IMO i would play Lescott and Cahill at the back from the off and use Terry as a sub.

Also good choice of Captain for England in Steven Gerrard, but it's come 5-7 years too late.

The original decision to not include Ferdinand in the squad could maybe be understood for "footballing reasons" but with the recent injuries there can be absolutely no question that he has been left out of the squad because Terry is in the squad. Terry is the one accused of racism, not Ferdinand, so this is a controversial decision to say the least. Maybe Terry is the more reliable option, in terms of fitness and "footballing reasons", but Hodgson or someone in the England camp should at least have the guts to admit it.

I think across the squad Hodgson has relied too heavily on Liverpool players that he know from his short spell there. I cannot understand why players like Kelly and Henderson have been picked ahead of players like Richards and Carrick.

The squad looks a lot weaker without Cahill, Lampard and Barry, and without Rooney for the first couple of group games. I think we'll struggle against France, and so getting out the group may even be a struggle. On a positive note, at least we've won both the friendlies going in to the tournament.

THE SLIGHTLY CRAP EURO 2012 GUIDE FOR HUMANS

GROUP A: A SLIGHTLY CRAP GROUP

POLAND Hosts. Haven't won a major tournament match since 2002, and even then they were already out. Surprisingly not drawn against England - balance restored by being drawn against England for 2014 WC qualifiers.

GREECE Winners in 2004 and took the hint to be boring bastards ever since, with far less success. Unlikely to bribe opponents to lose due to combined national wealth of €2.17.

CZECH REPUBLIC Winners in 1976, sort of. Not looked like achieving anything since 2004, went out of 2008 tournament after Petr Cech did an impression of a drunk David James. Anyone remember Milan Baros? Still there.

RUSSIA Darlings of Euro 2008 but idiotic non-qualifiers to 2010 World Cup. Team still captained by Andrei Arshavin, whose online Q&A sessions are much better than his football. And slightly better than Messi's football, frankly.

GROUP B: A BIG-SHOT GROUP

NETHERLANDS 1988 winners famed for sexy football, 2010 saw an output of 0 on the Sexy-football-o-meter. The Netherlands is not underwater because it is frightened of Van Bommel/De Jong midfield.

DENMARK Winners in 1992 despite not actually qualifying. Unlikely to repeat feat because they actually qualified. Their only World Class footballer is Nicklas Bendtner, according to Nicklas Bendtner.

GERMANY Winners on 3 occasions. Team of very good players, and they always reach the semis even if they're a bit crap. Some foreign-born players: Klose from Poland, Khedira from Turkey, Özil from Atlantis. (He's a fish.)

PORTUGAL Unlike most of their history, now regular qualifiers to international tournaments. The two wingers - Ronaldo and Nani are probably the best pairing in the tournament. No-one else is.

GROUP C: THE GROUP OF DEBT (AND CROATIA)

SPAIN Euro & World Champions. Worse at Mastermind because they passed every question. Contain 8 or 9 of the World's best players - 6 or 7 of whom play in central midfield. Also contain Torres.

ITALY 1968 winners. Caught up in a match-fixing scandal, which usually bodes well. About ¼ of the newspaper stories about Mario Balotelli are true, which is still an outstanding hit-rate of crazy.

IRELAND Green shod eleven man defence. Richard Dunne plays football the way it was played when the game was played between entire villages on Shrove Tuesday.

CROATIA Notable for extending productivity of national picnic mat industry. Josip Simunic was once booked three times in a match, and is capable of being booked six or more times by ill-attentive referees.

GROUP D: THE GROUP OF PAIN

UKRAINE Hosts. Andrei Shevchenko was a big-money Chelsea flop before Torres made it cool. Supposedly could not have qualified without host status, but for 2014 World Cup have advantage of playing England.

SWEDEN Generic European plodders capable of getting through only group matches. Zlatan Ibrahimovic is back to role of being an excessively talented wastrel, after losing that role at Milan to Robinho.

FRANCE Twice winners. Spent the last World Cup on strike, and the last Euros on a work-to-rule. May have returned to actually being bothered. Manager Laurent Blanc is in crisis due to lack of Barthez' head to kiss.

ENGLAND 1966 World Champions and still living off it. Andy Carroll's imitation of Zlatan Ibrahimovic only does not include footballing ability. Wayne Rooney banned for first two games, will still be more effective than Stewart Downing.

I've drew out Spain in my work's "Euro Sweepstake" thingy.

Cost £2.00 to enter. Any chance that Spain will win again.? :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom