Football Euro 2012

France beat Turkey for the 2016 tournament by one vote, and apparently there was controversy about that French win.

Yeah thats gonna happen at the next Euro's. Really think with 24 teams it'll be a much better tournment.

Yeah with 24 teams Scotland might actually qualify. :thumbsup:

Heard us and Wales are once again preparing a joint-bid to host the Euros, this time Euro 2020. Apparently Ireland also may get involved.

I can't see a joint-bid with Wales being successful, for a start we're not even bordered with them. Also with the expansion to 24 teams I think a tournament now needs 12 stadiums with a minimum capacity of 30,000.

We have 4 (Hampden Park, Celtic Park, Ibrox Stadium and Murrayfield) that meet the capacity requirement. Wales have at least 1 (The Millenium Stadium) and the stadiums in Swansea and Cardiff if not holding at least 30,000 seats already could easily be expanded. That still leaves us needing 5 more though.

We shall see. Like I said don't think it will happen.

It needs 8 @BusStopChicane

One has to be above 50,000 and two above 40,000. That requirement is comfortably met by the Millenium Stadium, Murrayfield and Hampden.

However, they'd probably need the stadia to be in at least six cities to be successful. Which I think gives:

Edinburgh - Murrayfield
Glasgow - Hampden + one of Parkhead/Ibrox
A.N. Other [Aberdeen?]
Cardiff - Millenium Stadium + Cardiff City Stadium
2 Others [Swansea? Wrexham?]

Of course, I think the triple bid could be a better chance, as Ireland could add the 3 stadia:

Dublin - Croke Park + Aviva Stadium
Cork - Thomond Park (possible expansion)

I can't really not see them going with Turkey, if I'm honest, I think UEFA would see that as a great opportunity.

Especially as the three countries don't even border each other. The Turkey bid will probably win, although aren't they bidding for the Olympics aswell?

The countries may not border one another, but it is a good time for Scotland and Wales to reassert their individual identities following on from the Olympic "Team GB" business. A bid may serve that purpose well, even if unsuccessful overall.

But the olympics are being decided before the Euros - so if Turkey gets the Olympics, then another country(ies) would get the Euros.

In reply to TBY

mjo - The IOC like to feel like they're the main event in a host country's summer; don't think that would be the case if the Euros were held weeks before the Istanbul Olympics.

Yeah, but thats two years after the event. I don't think UEFA and the IOC are willing to share the limelight weeks apart.

And anyway, the IOC are using FIFA to build all their venues/infrastructure.

Bus Stop Chicane

I'd love nothing more than the Euro's to come to Scotland. It's about time Britain had then back on our shores. But TBH I would prefer to see Just Scotland and Wales bid for them. I don't like the idea of 3 countries hosting too much travelling involved.

If Scotland and Wales are successful in the bid here's what i'd go for:

Scotland:
Aberdeen - New Stadium - but if the Scot's are to bid then they should use all of Scotland not just Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Glasgow - Parkhead + Hampden
Edinburgh - Murrayfield + Easter Road developement needed though

Wales:
Swansea - The Liberty Staduim
Cardiff - Millenuim Staduim
Wrexham - New Staduim needs building.

They's eight staduims i think will be in need of using. With the final been host in Scotland at Hampden. I feel Scotland been the big bidder in this should have an extra stadium.

Why don't we have a Hine Narions Home Nations tournament? There would be plenty of stadia to go round.

Stupid iPod!!

Carroll has as much chance of being in the squad as San Marino have of winning the tournament.

From BBC:
Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)
Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)
Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)
Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

San Marino seem to have a shout at the title this year:DThey just have to sneak in somehow...

And I really loved this comment on the BBC homepage:
Ade on Twitter: "Tim Howard has got more goals and assists than stuart downing this season! Abysmal decision."

Back
Top Bottom