Would you race in Bahrain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, mate. I really hope it does. For the sake of the folk's who have to live there. :blink:

F1 was in South Africa for a long time when that country had many problems, I can't remember I have only read about it.

But Bahrain can only get better since they seem to be ready for hosting the race?

F1 was in South Africa for a long time when that country had many problems, I can't remember I have only read about it.

But Bahrain can only get better since they seem to be ready for hosting the race?

We live in hope, I hope;) Last post tonight, honest.:sleeping:

I have been asked to reduce the size of my signature, which I have done (font size).
This does not diminish my support for Freedom of Speech and Human Rights for Bahrain.

Would I race in Bahrain? Yes....but next year, when everything has calmed down
Think F1 has too look at the bigger picture too, even with the unrest going on they can't go & race there in 2011. We'll have some cynic takling photo's of a bloke sweeping sand on to the blood in the road as the F1 circus rolls into town.

You also have to think a late 2011 would mean we could see back to back races in Bahrain with just a couple of months apart, so even delaying to an early race in 2012 may be seen in some eyes as too early. There is still unrest going on, the Middle East is raising its voice after years of oppression, this is not going to go away.

Also you have to think, if they go ahead with the F1 race this year, errmmmmm wouldn't that be a fantastic opportunity for the people trying to fight the regime to make there point in front of Millions of people? Not sure Bernie would like to see oppressed people shot on the track with an AK47 whilst protesting with a banner about their freedom.......

Sport should not interfere with the politics of a country, but should be a symbol above oppression and despotic governance.

.............and man should love his brother and share his bread with the hungry, provide blankets for the cold, medicine for the ill and say sorry when you knock into someone running for the tube.

Sorry bro but in 6th form politics world you would be correct but we ain't living there

Edit: (sorry, missed out what I was replying to)
Sport should not interfere with the politics of a country, but should be a symbol above oppression and despotic governance.
Yes, but should we put our personal gratification above the needs of an oppressed people? After all, there are plenty of other motor sports series to entertain us, if entertainment is that important. I agree with those who say they should not go, and those in whose hands the decision lies should have had the guts to make that decision before now, rather than prevaricating as they have done.

I wouldn't be surprised if the teams were to boycott the race anyway purely on safety grounds, and if I were a team principal I certainly would. Here's the latest Foreign Office travel advice:

TRAVEL SUMMARY
  • We advise against all but essential travel to Bahrain until further notice.

• We advise British nationals in Bahrain to maintain a high level of security awareness and to exercise caution, particularly in public places and on the roads, and avoid large crowds and demonstrations. The airport remains open and transiting through the airport is unaffected by this advice.

• Our assessment remains that travel on the main routes on the island during daylight hours is orderly and has now returned to normal levels. Police checkpoints remain but have been reduced around the main highways. You should exercise caution in particular on any routes you use to get to these main routes, and consider carefully the situation in your local vicinity.

• We have had no recently confirmed reports of serious security incidents, but the risk of outbreaks of violence is ongoing and the security situation remains uncertain.
And as updated on 23 May:

This advice has been reviewed and reissued with amendments to the Travel Summary and the Safety and Security - Political Situation section (curfew). The overall level of advice has not changed; we advise against all but essential travel to Bahrain.

I was just lending another spin on it, but yeah we can all be "green peace hippies" and "human rights activists" all while endorsing coalition occupation of the Middle East explicitly/tacitly or impliedly.

It is simple, F1 is a business and well if they pay, you must deliver unless there is a clear danger to the event and those involved. Sport backing out has the message of saying "well your despotic governance is something we shun, but are not willing to make a statement against it".

I'm not certain whether you're calling me a "green peace hippy" or "human rights activist".
I'm simply someone who will not condone a regime's brutal murder of those who are claiming their human rights. The staging of the Bahrain GP in 2011 will indicate that all involved are in some way in support of Bahraini state sponsored oppression and violence ultimately resulting in death.
Open your eyes, use your keyboard skills and search on line for the facts, please.

I was just lending another spin on it, but yeah we can all be "green peace hippies" and "human rights activists" all while endorsing coalition occupation of the Middle East explicitly/tacitly or impliedly.

It is simple, F1 is a business and well if they pay, you must deliver unless there is a clear danger to the event and those involved. Sport backing out has the message of saying "well your despotic governance is something we shun, but are not willing to make a statement against it".

No but we can make a statement against it, can we not?

This generally only points fingers towards the Middle East and Islam in general, sure it may be seen as detest and vile to us westerners but remember they have been living under Muslim laws for longer than Human Rights existed. Lets not pretend we can change the world. Why have anything anywhere in the middle east then!

Lets rather say that we don't want to host the event as we don't support the national regime, rather than pander around human rights

This generally only points fingers towards the Middle East and Islam in general, sure it may be seen as detest and vile to us westerners but remember they have been living under Muslim laws for longer than Human Rights existed. Lets not pretend we can change the world. Why have anything anywhere in the middle east then!

Lets rather say that we don't want to host the event as we don't support the national regime, rather than pander around human rights

No, I refuse to say that. Your argument is not convincing and lacks maturity, your view of Islam seems to lack any deep knowledge of it at all.

It has nothing to do with Islam. It is entirely to do with the fact that a regime is murdering, arresting, imprisoning and terrifying its own citizens for having the audacity to make peaceful protest about injustices, or in some cases for the simple fact of giving medical care to the regime's victims.
If there were such unrest in Brazil (for instance), I would be against the Grand Prix being held at Interlagos. But there isn't.

China continues to commit human rights abuses.

F1 raced in South Africa under Apartheid.

China continues to commit human rights abuses.

F1 raced in South Africa under Apartheid.

Spot on Brogan but it doesn't make it either right or any less un-palatable.

The problem is Bernie has been too quick to jump into bed with these countries the minute they meet his and CVC 's demands for a big fat pay cheque and failed to look at the bigger picture.

It's not F1's or any sports place to get heavily involved with politics, but as a World Championship we should look at a potential or existing host nation and ask ourselves, do they behave, rule and uphold the views of the common World and it's people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom