Tennis Wimbledon 2015

Federer seems to be back on form so Andy might have to work really hard for the win.

cider_and_toast, there have been two good matches in the women's league - Watson v Serena and Azarenka v Serena. Most women's tennis involves a lot of baseline grunting and little finesse!

I expect that Serena will be in the final and out-grunt Sharapova. There might be a degree of crafted tennis if we are lucky, but the hardest hitter will win.

Good match from murray the draw has been kinder than it couldve been with karolovic & pospsil instead of tsonga & nadal not to say he hasnt been great only dropping 1 set in that crazy game v seppi but federer will be massive step up
Why didnt wimbledon close the roof the 1st time as they had 35min delay anyway wouldve stopped yet another interruption for Murray

Also great a victory it was for gasquet great drama 11-9 in 5th, slightly gutted it meant we were denied the semu final line up of djokovic v wawrinka & murray v federer couldve been epic

Well that was disappointing. Andy never really troubled Federer did he. Hopefully the final will be more entertaining.

Gutted for andy murray thought he was going to win wimbledon was in fantastic form, but I cant fault him he gave everything but sometimes best isnt good enough as opponent is just that good I didnt bank on the sublime federer from 5/10yrs ago making a return., As he wouldve beaten anyone today I believe. Made me eat my words as when he lost Olympic final in 2012 never thought he would still be playing or even competitive at 34 (35 come rio) That service game at 75 54 1 of the best surely at Wimbledon 15 mins great drama

Also 1 thing if you can red button or online need to catch behrami & leconte game in senior gentleman invational doubles crack me up everytime hilarious

Rather proud of both Andy and Heather this fortnight.
Of course I wanted both to win and seriously thought Andy had a decent chance this year but neither lost their games, they were just outplayed by opponents on superb form.
Heather in particular did brilliantly to rattle Serena and came oh so close.
The ladies final is panning out as I feared.
On the bright side I am looking forward what should be an epic men's final without the agony of watching a brit :)

Yes particularly proud of heather could ve argued whe was serena only test of championships others were breezed through.

Although this probably can be controversial begore I start I am all for equality in all walks of life. But is it just me that the prize fund is wrong in giving mens & women champs equal prize for winning. Reason I say is hypothetically djokovic/federer could end up with same £1.88m after playing a 4hr 5 setter that serena took hr & 2 sets

I'm all for the 5 sets for women debate. I can't see any reason to not do it.

Disapointing Federer didn't stretch things out to five sets today. Still, decent game.

Last edited:
I'm not really concerned about the pay, but I do think it does a disservice to the women's game. In college basketball women play 20 minute halves just like the men. In golf they play 18 holes. In soccer they still play 90 minutes. They run the same distances in track, and swim the same distance in swimming. Yet in tennis it takes two sets to win a match instead of three. Why?

I know it sounds crazy, but why not reduce the number of sets for men from 5 down to 3, instead of increasing the number of sets for women? The high profile matches go on longer anyway, but the tournaments as a whole can get finished more quickly, and with more of the smaller matches able to be televised. The less popular matches tend to have some actual variety anyway, instead of the same old serve and baseline game that gets really boring to watch after a while.

I'm not really concerned about the pay, but I do think it does a disservice to the women's game. In college basketball women play 20 minute halves just like the men. In golf they play 18 holes. In soccer they still play 90 minutes. They run the same distances in track, and swim the same distance in swimming. Yet in tennis it takes two sets to win a match instead of three. Why?

Very good point there & dash in mens you just cant get rid of best of 5 because they make for such drama

Back
Top Bottom