Why Didn't Hamilton Complete His Flyer For A Top 4 Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'll break my word just this once:). Had a bit of banter a while back with fellow posters about the prospects for overtaking in the race. The tyre degradation issue looks like a non-starter as both compounds appear to be lasting very well so, historically, Monaco's reputation for being somewhat processional is unlikely to be tarnished tomorrow. Our only hope for an exciting race will be if it rains as, again historically, inclement weather has thrown up some great Monaco GP's.:goodday::thumbsup:

Rain.

Or...

...We could have Schumacher getting a flyer (as he has been lately) off the grid when the lights go out and have him plow into the back of Alonso and Webber into Ste Devote...and have the Safety Car come out with Hamilton immediately going into the pits...

...add in Vettel doing a Senna-1988-at-Portier...and, Voila!

Hehe

Blast, I'll have to break my word again only to say "we live in hope!":D I'm not saying anything more on this thread because you folk's have said it all already and I would only be repeating myself and you lot!:):thumbsup::goodday:

Suffice it to say that many were hoping for Hamilton to halt Vettel's juggernaut towards this years Championship.

Having been set back, suffice it to say many are hoping for someone else to beat Vettel in the Grand Prix tomorrow.

Not least Ecclestone and CVC Partners who like to see people tuning in to their TVs all the way in to November.

Ha!

Not aborting the flyer when you're down 7/10s(rounded up) in the 1st sector and still try to set a "banker lap" would only be a sad reminder of what poor state "our" banks are in these days:sick:

cheers

I'm not sure if anyone else has said this but did the red flags come out before he would have finished the lap? Therefore it wouldnt count anyway? I'm not 100% if thats what happened

I'm not sure if anyone else has said this but did the red flags come out before he would have finished the lap? Therefore it wouldnt count anyway? I'm not 100% if thats what happened
Waved yellows came out straight away and we saw Lewis carefully negotiate the scene of the accident shortly thereafter. That would have been in Lewis's second attempt after aborting the lap where he was impeded by Massa.

If he boycotted a lap (unless he came into the pits which would be pointless) he would have had to have crossed the start/finish line and set a time, albeit very slow? the timings show no lap time recorded

Post #35 (page 2) of this thread has a screen shot of Hamilton and Massa with:

A.... 3:21 remaining in Q3

B... Hamilton's S1 time of around 19.8 seconds and delta

C... Vettel's, Button', Webber's, Alonso's times, etc.

The race was Red Flagged with 2:26 remaining...i.e. 55 seconds after Hamilton's clocking in at S1.

Add in 19 seconds to 55 seconds and you get a time of around 1:14

Vettel, Button had clocked sub 1:14s...and Webber was virtually 1:14 flat.

Hamilton would have been WELL PAST the Chicane when the Session was Red Flagged at 2:26 remaining.

Indeed, he'd have been crossing the Start/Finish line at about 2:26.

Hamilton, instead of waving to Massa, should have kept his head down and completed his Flyer, knowing he hadn't a banker in his pocket from not having gone out earlier like the others.

Shame.

If he boycotted a lap (unless he came into the pits which would be pointless) he would have had to have crossed the start/finish line and set a time, albeit very slow? the timings show no lap time recorded

Lewis's time was struck from the record by the Stewards for cutting the chicane at the swimming pool.

Lewis's time was struck from the record by the Stewards for cutting the chicane at the swimming pool.

That was the lap after Perez was taken away. The invalidated lap for chicane-cutting came in the re-started session.

It had nothing to do with the laps surrounding the 'Massa lap'.

Post #35 (page 2) of this thread has a screen shot of Hamilton and Massa with:

A.... 3:21 remaining in Q3

B... Hamilton's S1 time of around 19.8 seconds and delta

C... Vettel's, Button', Webber's, Alonso's times, etc.

The race was Red Flagged with 2:26 remaining...i.e. 55 seconds after Hamilton's clocking in at S1.

Add in 19 seconds to 55 seconds and you get a time of around 1:14

Vettel, Button had clocked sub 1:14s...and Webber was virtually 1:14 flat.

Hamilton would have been WELL PAST the Chicane when the Session was Red Flagged at 2:26 remaining.

Indeed, he'd have been crossing the Start/Finish line at about 2:26.

Hamilton, instead of waving to Massa, should have kept his head down and completed his Flyer, knowing he hadn't a banker in his pocket from not having gone out earlier like the others.

Shame.

so i am guessing that had he started that lap about 5 seconds earlier he would have completed that lap (albeit slower from massa) before the red flag and could have been much higher up the grid?

That was the lap after Perez was taken away. The invalidated lap for chicane-cutting came in the re-started session.

It had nothing to do with the laps surrounding the 'Massa lap'.

If Chris is talking about the lap when Perez crashed then that's because everyone pitted due to the RED FLAG. I don't believe that is what Chris was asking about. I think he was asking about the classification after completion of Q3. If that is not the case then Chris' can talk to me directly.

If Chris is talking about the lap when Perez crashed then that's because everyone pitted due to the RED FLAG. I don't believe that is what Chris was asking about. I think he was asking about the classification after completion of Q3. If that is not the case then Chris' can talk to me directly.

What I was saying/asking is that Lewis never got to finish the lap he was on where Perez crashed? He would have been near the end of his lap when the red flag came out - could have only been a few seconds before finishing the lap?

so i am guessing that had he started that lap about 5 seconds earlier he would have completed that lap (albeit slower from massa) before the red flag and could have been much higher up the grid?

Hamilton would have clocked a time faster than Alonso's at least had he just completed that 'Massa lap' of his, whether or not he'd have started 5 seconds earlier.

Massa was always going to be on his out lap.

Someone was always going to be on their out or in lap in Q3 at Monaco.

It's a very short lap of around sub 1:15s...that's one of the shortest laps of the year on a track that the shortest of the year...so there's always going to be some traffic.

What I was saying/asking is that Lewis never got to finish the lap he was on where Perez crashed? He would have been near the end of his lap when the red flag came out - could have only been a few seconds before finishing the lap?

I answered that in the lengthy post a couple/few posts above yours.

Cheers. :)

Hamilton would have clocked a time faster than Alonso's at least had he just completed that 'Massa lap' of his, whether or not he'd have started 5 seconds earlier.

Massa was always going to be on his out lap.

Someone was always going to be on their out or in lap in Q3 at Monaco.

It's a very short lap of around sub 1:15s...that's one of the shortest laps of the year on a track that the shortest of the year...so there's always going to be some traffic.

I merely questioning whether he didnt complete the lap from choice (he came into the pits of his own accord as he felt it was a bad lap) or whether the red flag prevented him from ending the lap. If it was the latter then it could have only been a few seconds in it as he would have been near the end of the lap at the time of the red flag.

Chris, as you can see from my post (post # 71 aove) which cites the screen shot on post # 35 in this thread, Hamilton would have been crossing the start finish line at 2:26 when the Red Flag came out.

Yes?

I'm checking out of here to see the race.

Enjoy the Grand Prix everyone!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom