Why Didn't Hamilton Complete His Flyer For A Top 4 Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a bit of a moo point to me (as in a cows opinion: moo - no one cares) - if the accident hadn't happened he'd have backed off save his tyres and put it top 4 unfourtunalty it did. Was always going to happen to someone with all this 'trying to save a set of tyres' malarkie going on. Rosberg came a cropper too

Artist,

Yeah...My bad.

Unintentional error in the OP.

But the OP idea of Hamilton posting the 4th fastest time - at the very least - over that lap still stands.

Cheers!

I posted this on the Monaco thread but it also applies here.

In Lewis' own words.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91813

He was only ever planning to do one run.

Lewis has to accept along with his engineers responsibility, for such a disatrous decision , especially after all the other heavy hitters put in a banker time. Mclaren also have played their part, by agreeing to any of their drivers having a one stint run during Q3, especially at a place like Monaco.

Yorkshire,
But what really is a shame is that, for whatever reason, McLaren decided Button would go out early...and then go out again late.
Hamilton, meanwhile, was left to go out once only. Later in the session.
This means there was no 'banker'.
Knowing this, Lewis should have completed that lap, especially since it's Monaco!
Monaco = Traffic, Possibility of accidents, Grid Position being vital.
That's not hindsight.

It seems McLaren's strategy for Hamilton was to fuel him enough for 2 runs so even if he came across traffic he would still have been able to commit to a fast lap. The single run would have meant an extra set of SS tyres for the race.

It was a gamble which if he had have pulled off would have given him a great position for tomorrows race.

You can't predict what will happen in any session during F1 and it's just unfortunate that things turn out this way. There's nothing anyone can do about it now except hope that he gets some luck during the race to enable to gain back some of these lost positions.

McLarens best strategy for the win now lies with Button so hopefully he can do the business.

It seems McLaren's strategy for Hamilton was to fuel him enough for 2 runs so even if he came across traffic he would still have been able to commit to a fast lap. The single run would have meant an extra set of SS tyres for the race.

1. If you're 2-Stopping tomorrow, you don't need 3 sets of Super-Softs/Options because you have to use the Softs/Primes for at least 1 stint.

Thus, you only require 2 sets of Super-Softs for the Grand Prix (unlike all 3 sets of Options for a 5-Stopper in Spain.)

Correct?

2. By 2 runs you mean sending him out for that singular 'stint' of 2 flying laps/'timed' laps, correct?

Why did they do this when Button had gone out once early...and was going to go out again late?

As I said, Alonso said the optimal strategy for Monaco qually in order to maximize the usefullness of their Pirellis for this race was to do TWO stints consisting of TWO flying laps EACH.

lewyMP4, in his post, above has it right. McLaren's race team for Lewis as well as Lewis himself have only themselves to blame.

Both of the parties are to blame for deciding to go out late...and Lewis himself is to blame for not completing the flyer lap he was on when he passed Massa under waved Blues.

As I said, Alonso said the optimal strategy for Monaco qually to make use of their Pirellis for this race was to do TWO stints consisting of TWO flying laps EACH.

Just because that's the best way for Ferrari to use the Pirelli rubber doesn't mean it's best for all the teams though.

Just because that's the best way for Ferrari to use the Pirelli rubber doesn't mean it's best for all the teams though.

Why not?

It's not like Spain where they were 4-Stopping and had to use ALL 3 sets of Options.

Monaco is going to be a 2-Stopper. Meaning you can only use 2 sets of one tyre (most likely the Options) and 1 set of the other (as a result the Primes).

Exactly my point MCLS. We also don't know what pit-stop strategies the teams will so it's a moot point.

But you don't need ALL THREE SETS of Options for a 2-Stop race!

[It was different in Spain where people were 3- and 4-Stopping!]

So, why not make full use of at least 1 set of Options in Qually 3 because you won't be using them in the race.

Correct?

It's not about degredation, MCLS. It's about the fact that you won't need a 3rd Set of Options for tomorrow's race.

A 2-Stopper means the following:

1 set of Primes/2 sets of Options

OR

2 sets of Primes/1 set of Options

So, why 'save' a set of Otions for the race when you have 3 sets but are only going to use 2?

See?

Teams change strategies through the race, depending on degradation levels it might be wise to keep a spare set just in case they need a fresh set, or need to get in clear air

We also don't know what pit-stop strategies the teams will so it's a moot point.

In the context of this thread we do actually know that no one is going to be 3-Stopping.

The optimal route is a 2-Stopper because we know from Practice that the Super-Softs are lasting at least 20 laps. At least.

There was some talk of Sauber or Renault even doing a 1-Stopper because they're kinder on tyres.

The race tomorrow will be all about track position...and excessive tyre degredation - as was the case in Spain - won't be an issue.

Why, do you have a crystal ball? Nothing is certain in F1, Hamilton might gamble on a three stop and gun it for the entire race.

Objectively it was wrong, subjectively (as in the heat of the moment) perfectly understandable and with plenty of precedent.

Why, do you have a crystal ball? Nothing is certain in F1, Hamilton might gamble on a three stop and gun it for the entire race.

No I don't have a crystal ball...but, with all due respect to you, Hamilton won't be able to "gun it" from 9th on the grid in the early laps.

He'd like to...and as fans, we'd like him to...but it's Monaco.

Gunning it can be done in clean air or a clear road or on a track that's wide enough to allow some over-taking.

Lewis has got 4 rows of car ahead of him...and he won't be able to over-take all 4 rows of cars quickly enough on a circuit like this to get into clean air in order to be able to 'gun it' out in the open.

He's likely to get held up...and then opt to come in early...even at the end of Lap 1!
Track position is more crucial than tyres at Monaco, especially with the tyres holding up like they did in Practice.

His only hope is the podium from 9th on the grid...unless Vettel and Button and Webber take each-other out at St Devote...and then he has Alonso and Schumacher and Rosberg to contend with.

It's not as if Lewis has rookies ahead of him. They're a tough bunch, Vettel/Alonso/Schumacher/Webber, when it comes to trying to over-take them, especially on a track like they're at.

Good luck to Lewis. He'll need it.

I do, however, admire you committment and defence of Lewis, though, MCLS. ;)

Well, what I mean is, not that bothered about conserving tyres as he has fresh supplies, I know what you mean, but he won't be holding back anyway.

I don't think Lewis knows hows to hold back.:)

Good luck to him.

Vettel must be thrilled that his most realistic WDC threat for 2011 is so out of position at such a circuit.

I bet Hamilton and Alonso are hoping Button or Webber win the Grand Prix if they themselves can't otherwise Vettel will be sewing up the Title by mid Summer! ;)

The way things are going it looks like it, however anything can happen, I still think the safety car will appear at some point, which will throw a real curve ball into the pack.

I now hope it rains:) after all (my followers know what I mean;)) I was wondering why this question required a whole thread. The answer whether one likes it or not to the question is a) track position is everything at Monaco and b) if you lose time in your pole attempt you can't make it up - at Monaco. Not even by jumping a chicane.8-) That is my one and only contribution to this particular debate and I have read all the posts and considered the problem carefully. OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom