Which 2 people in F1 do you respect the most?

I was thinking recently how, even though BE annoys me no end and I have no empathy for him and his ilk, I respect what he has done to create and retain power and control of a business that would never have raised any financing at business plan stage.

I thought it might be interesting to find out if everyone else has someone in F1 they might not like but have utmost respect for, or do people generally only respect those they like and empathise with. I know a lot of people respect FW and CC but don't necessarily like the personalities or their methods

So who do you respect the most wether you like them or their politics or methods, just for what they have done for the sport we are all addicted to. To make it interesting let's have 2 and 2 only. And only initials and reasons

My second is LH for his trailblazing and extraordinary journey to the runners up spot in 2007

Bernie Ecclestone.I dislike his way of doing business and the amount of power (and money) that the he has.But I respect all that he has done to make F1 the huge global success that it is.
Sir Jackie Stewart.One man from the F1 world who fully deserves his title and apart from his superb racing skills has done so much to improve safety in F1.

Any team principal who survives in F1 fro more than a season deserves the utmost respect. The Piranha Club devours anyone who shows even the smallest sign of weakness.

It's been quite a while since we have seen a change of team principal at any of the current teams. The last I can recall is Martin Whitmarsh for Ron Dennis. I don't think RD stepped down as a result of a display of weakness.

Am I right or have I been ignorant to some other movements?

It's been quite a while since we have seen a change of team principal at any of the current teams. The last I can recall is Martin Whitmarsh for Ron Dennis. I don't think RD stepped down as a result of a display of weakness.

Am I right or have I been ignorant to some other movements?

Kolles for Perez-Sala in December

Sorry for beng pedantic but there seems to be scarce example. I mean, despite thier aspirations USF1 were never actually an F1 team. I see your point that being principal of an F1 team is no easy job but I don't see people's employments in these positions being brutally slain with anything that could be considered a high frequency. I would be about 10 times more concerned about job security if I was sitting in the cockpit.

[Edit] Sorry for having a go at your perfectly innocent post. It's just that the "Phiranna Club" seems a little of a myth in today's modern age.

When you look through this list there are quite a few one season wonders and this list doesn't include the teams which never even made the grid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_teams

I'll agree that the team principal job is perhaps not as dangerous as being a football manager, probably because many of them own the teams so are unlikely to sack themselves, perhaps more should!

When you look through this list there are quite a few one season wonders and this list doesn't include the teams which never even made the grid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_teams

I'll agree that the team principal job is perhaps not as dangerous as being a football manager, probably because many of them own the teams so are unlikely to sack themselves, perhaps more should!

Fair enough. I wasn't considering F1's lengthy history, but more its current and recent state. I'm not much of a historian.

Ken Tyrrell - for his decency, honesty, directness and determination. There are few people in F1 about whom nothing bad is heard from either colleagues or rivals, but Ken was one.

David Purley - for two exceptional acts of heroism - his vain attempts to save Roger Williamson's life at Zandvoort, and his bravery in agreeing to even get into, let alone race, the extremely home-made LEC F1 car.

I chosen to interpret this as being currently in F1 (one way to make life a little easier for myself).

Seeing as how its a Monday towards the end of February I'll go for:

Adrian Newey - A man who has really turned racing engineering into an art form. When half the world is complaining about how F1 is being forced towards being a single car series Adrian is showing how the edge of genius can still keep you in front;

Michael Schumacher - Controversial I know, but through his years he has been as close to the perfect racing solution as we've seen in modern times. Able to keep a close link to mechanics, engineers and management, and sponsors the only person he ever seems to have upset is his teammate (although Massa must attribute a significant portion of his success to his early years teaming with/learning from Michael). Fast and feared on the track, superbly fit to maximise what he can wring from the car, and charismatic (sorry again, but yes, I believe he is) - controversial, yes, but he has good company there with the racing elite.

Tomorrow's tuesday so I shall probably completely change my mind ;)

Back
Top Bottom