Which 2 people in F1 do you respect the most?

I don't think I can pick just 2. Just about everyone there from the mechanics, drivers, team princpals, PR, health care and everone else has had to wok very hard to reach that point in their career that they can say they have made it to F1. There are personalities associated with F1 that I may not like, but I have to respect th person for having been able to make it that far in the first place. There are some people there that I admire more than others, because not only have they reached the pinacle of their career, but they have pushed the standards further than othersthrough dedication or pure talent.

Frank Williams - I have heard him speak at a dinner in the past, an amazingly likable personality with a tough life even now. He never gav up on hi dreams and worked through every obstacle that life or anyone else could throw at him in order to achieve what he has.

Adrian Newey - What does this man have that other designers don't? I am not sure we will ever answer that question but he has a vision that has created some of the best cars in recent years, but lets not forget that he has also managed to create some of the worst, but stuck with it until he got it right.

Ron Dennis - Say what you like about him, he had a vision, he went about achieving it. Not only in F1 but in industry as a whole.

I could go on for some time about everyone, but those would be the top of my list for admiration in what they have done. This is just those still around today, the history of F1 is littered with people who have achieved as much and more.

Really hard to choose only two. So many good choices made already.
Syd Watkins -tireless devotion to drivers safety
Jackie Steward-similar reasons and of course his driving skills
Frank Williams- overcoming his injury and forming an ace F1 team
Ayrton Senna-for being exceptional
Lewis Hamilton- for also being exceptional and a basically nice guy
Ron Dennis-to rise from a mechanic to the head of one of the most successful ever F1 teams.
Newey- foro obvious reasons
Colin Chapman- for same resons as Newey
Ahhhh! To choose two. Well I cant put aside my passions so I choose with my heart. At this moment in time I have to choose
Lewis Hamiltion
Ron Dennis
but that was tough choosing.

My 2 choices are:

Sir Jackie Stewart - Played a major role in pushing for, and setting the standards for both driver and track safety, in which todays drivers thankfully enjoy.

Ron Dennis - Started as a mechanic, to eventually create one of the more premier F1 racing teams and technology centers, and let's not also forget most of all.......Ronspeak!

Ayrton Senna
Existed seemingly with one intention - to push and push and push and find the extra dose of speed. Nobody can drive like that without some kind of blind faith in a higher power watching over them, he drove like he was invincible and nothing quite compares to seeing an F1 car being pushed to it's limits. When we strip down what we like about F1, what first turns us on and gets us hooked, we surely reveal the style that Senna defined by defying grip and limitations so single mindedly.

Nick Heidfeld
Quoth the raven - Nevermore.

Honourable mention to wee Jackie and Jimmy.

Oh, can we include drivers? Then I'm afraid that 2 simply is not enough. I mean, there's the whole of the current grid with the exception of this year's rookies ; they will come into the reckoning once they have had a few races.

Jackie Stewart - Simply for all his efforts in bring safety into Formula One. Plus when ever he's on the tele talking about the past i find it really interesting.

Bernie Ecclestone - At times he might be a bit of an idiot. But without him F1 wouldn't be in the good shape it is at this moment in time. It takes a controversial character in F1 to get the Fans juices going.

I've always been cynical about Bernie's involvement in making F1 as big as it is. Didn't F1's boom in popularity happen to coincide with worldwide TV coverage?

Yes it did.And that boom was brought about by FOCA buying the commercial and TV rights to F1.
The Chief Executive Officer was none other than Bernard Charles Ecclestone.

Yes it did.And that boom was brought about by FOCA buying the commercial and TV rights to F1.
The Chief Executive Officer was none other than Bernard Charles Ecclestone.
I'm with you sportsman. For me the answer is Bernie + someone else.

Bernie did a great thing when FOM took over the tv production from the host broadcasters. Do you remember all those races where all we saw were the local hero? Who won? Who cares? We got to see Luis Perez Sala or whoever in a clip between the horse racing on Sunday grandstand. He insisted that they show the whole race live and qualifying too. Broke the EBU which had become fat and lazy.

Look at it now. Imagine interrupting a race now for the 2.15 from Kempton park...

So Bernie + who?

Watkins, for all the right reasons. Williams and Dennis for their commitment. Di Montezemolo for being theatrical?

Horner for doing an amazing job at Red Bull. Newey for being a genius. All the other designers for keeping going trying to beat Newey.

Or Max Mosley? Without whom, Bernie would have struggled politically. Also for saving the sport from itself with his work with Watkins on safety. Especially after Senna. A few drivers today owe their lives to Max's madcap life in the sport. and he was very theatrical, very entertaining!

It's Bernie plus one. Maybe one day that one will be Paul Hembery. I like how he has started - his company's tyres have already improved the sport, but there is more to come from him, I think.

Ramble over. Blame the op :)

Back
Top Bottom