Where has the Latest Threads link gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help thinking there's some user error going on here.

Probably! :D

It was late last night, but when we were first talking about this, I'm sure there was a new post on Site Suggestions which didn't show up on What's new but did on Latest Threads.

It would only do that if you had already read the new posts.

To summarise:
What's New - only new unread posts - for you personally
Latest Threads - threads which have been posted on within the last 7 days, whether you have read them or not.

Here are the two links for you to test:
What's New - http://cliptheapex.com/find-new/threads
Latest Threads - http://cliptheapex.com/find-new/threads?days=7

Note that the only difference is the ?days=7 on the second URL.

What's new isn't in the forum navigation, though. It's in the homepage navigation. This means I need to navigate out of the forums to find a link back into the forums. I can get by the labelling as once I know what it is it's learnt and requires no extra effort to use. The removal of "latest threads" on the forums nav means that my journey is now elongated when I want to make my most frequent action.

I'm not moaning. Just pointing out that something I use very regularly (more than anything else) has gone, or been moved out of the context in which I use it.

What's new isn't in the forum navigation, though.
It is and always has been since day one :s

It is on the nav bar and is default core functionality.
See here for evidence: http://xenforo.com/community/

whats-new.png

I am absolutely thoroughly confused.

Edit: Now renamed New Threads, which is what it will be changing to in the next release.
whats-new-CTA.png

Someone please tell me I'm not going mad :unsure:

I don't know why you are confused.

There used to be a link (called "Latest threads") which showed you all threads in order of most recent posts regardless of whether you have read them or not. This no longer exists.

It was feature I used a lot and, if it's going, I am going to miss it a lot.

You said, and I quote:
What's new isn't in the forum navigation, though.
Which is 100% incorrect.

It is and always has been.

You still haven't explained why latest threads is more useful than what's new.
Are you re-reading threads you have already read, despite there being no new posts?

OK. Fair enough. Some confusion there. But that's not the issue. I don't care much about the "What's new link". It's the "Latest threads" link that I'm interested in. I never clicked on the "What's New" link as it's not of as much interest to me. The ONLY point I am making, or trying to, is that the "Latest threads" link is gone and I thought it was a valuable feature. No other issues have particularly affected me or the way I use the site, so I'm pretty oblivious to them at the moment.

The difference is attached. Both screen captures taken at the same time just on different links. New & Recent

NEW THREADS.JPGRECENT THREADS.JPG

I'm used to clicking on the recent threads and knowing what has been read and what hasn't, the new threads only shows unread threads.

Having the recent threads at the top of every forum page is the functionality that myself and ExtremeNinja are used to. It does make a difference depending if you are using a web page browser or a tablet/phone browser. If you want to read threads and then go back to a read thread later it is easier when all threads are shown and not just unread ones.

ExtremeNinja, what does the Latest Threads link do that the New Threads (Whats New) link doesn't do for you personally?

I also don't understand the point about PC or tablet browser - I use both, although at least you have explained that you are going back to read threads though F1Yorkshire.
Although my next question would be why?

In your second screenshot, you were the last poster on the rant thread, why would you click on that again?

Surely it is not beyond the wit of man to navigate around a web forum if the Recent Threads button is on a slightly different page.

There are two instances of it on the forum New Threads page and two on the home page.

Basically 4 links that can be clicked to get the same thing.

Of all the features and functionality available and a link which was added as an afterthought, months after we migrated is the most important thing?

Wow!

Normally I read through a lot of threads while travelling on the way home from work. I lose internet signal a lot due to working away from civilisation and by the time I've written a reply to a post I usually have lost signal and either lose the reply or it posts the reply multiple times as it did on the rant thread yesterday. I usually wait till I get home to do my replying and like to go back to to the already read threads so I know

I will try get a bookmark linked to my phone so the recent threads always pops up when I open the browser there. It just helps me to know which threads I have read and replied to easily and which ones I haven't.

In reply to teabagyokel, when browsing in a low signal area, clicking onto an extra page to get to a link can take minutes! While it seems like forever while waiting for a non 3G internet page to load.

You have already pointed out what the difference between the two links is. I'm not being awkward here. The difference between the two links is whether they filter by "read" or not to my understanding. I much prefered to see those threads that are read as well. It gives a chronoligical view of all forum activity rather than a chronological view of all forum activity minus forum activity that I have opened and closed.

teabagyokel. I'm not saying it's difficult or beyond the wit of a man. I am just giving feedback and now I feel like I am being ridiculed and shot down for it. I have not moaned, I have not complained. I am simply pointing out, and I am being very clear about this, that I miss the feature that has now been removed as it impacts on my user experience in both terms of intuity and in terms of cost. If my most used feature now takes twice as long to do, then that adds cost to my experience. Extra cost to my experience means a lesser experience.

There is no need for anyone to be defensive about this. I am not attacking anyone or being unappreciative. I may be being critical, but if everyone is now understanding of the point I am making and why I am making it, then I have made my point. What happens beyond that is up to Brogan. I am just registering my feedback as a user.

In relation to the site usage do you have statistics of which links are clicked the most?

I think there's a certain level of frustration from most parties here.

I personally don't understand why the link was so important to some, but I now at least understand the manner in which it was being used.
That doesn't mean I understand why it was being used like that though as I personally have never gone back to read a thread I have already read.

Then there is the frustration at the link being removed, although I have explained why that is the case.

It may return in the future, if reasonably practicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom