Things ... Welcome to the Future (2018 - 2019 Silly Season)

Yeah im not sure im assuming 2 years because i might be wrong but dont think any driver has a contract past 2020. They are all waiting

Apparently next season we will be going into december. With season not finishing until december 1st. Which feel weird to be going into christmas time

20180711_155710.png

Multi year when it was used by Mclaren it was usually 2 years definite with an option for the 3rd year which would make Alonso 40 years old and probably will retire

Alonso to Renault would be the only option for him to fight the big 3 as they will surely improve without the distractions of Red Bull

Ruslan
I think Grosjean's seat is more at risk even though Magnussen's is not confirmed. Guenther Steiner showed first signs of impatience that the team are throwing a lot of points - there are only 2 ahead of Force India and 3 ahead of Mclaren. Based on pure pace along Haas should really be 4th position..the only circuit they really struggled was Monaco so they will dread the Hungaroring

As with Perez - VJ Mallya has come out and denied Force India have money problems and the team is put up for sale but I don't think Force India can tie Perez down if his sponsors tell him to go elsewhere. I believe Telmex have an investment in Ferrari and going to Haas makes sense for all parties involved ( Ferrari, Telmex and the team) to appeal to the American market. I just don't see what Perez gains from another season at Force India

Last edited:
Multi year when it was used by Mclaren it was usually 2 years definite with an option for the 3rd year which would make Alonso 40 years old and probably will retire

Alonso to Renault would be the only option for him to fight the big 3 as they will surely improve without the distractions of Red Bull

Ruslan
I think Grosjean's seat is more at risk even though Magnussen's is not confirmed. Guenther Steiner showed first signs of impatience that the team are throwing a lot of points - there are only 2 ahead of Force India and 3 ahead of Mclaren. Based on pure pace along Haas should really be 4th position..the only circuit they really struggled was Monaco so they will dread the Hungaroring

As with Perez - VJ Mallya has come out and denied Force India have money problems and the team is put up for sale but I don't think Force India can tie Perez down if his sponsors tell him to go elsewhere. I believe Telmex have an investment in Ferrari and going to Haas makes sense for all parties involved ( Ferrari, Telmex and the team) to appeal to the American market. I just don't see what Perez gains from another season at Force India
I have lost track what the contract situation is with Grosjean, Magnussen and Perez. I gather Perez can leave at any time. As 2018 is Grosjean's third year with Haas, I am guessing that his contract for next year is either out or in flexible options.

Grosjean really only has Haas and a slim chance at Renault from the way he has been performing this season. Haas have ignored pressures to put Giovinazzi in the car because they are using a Ferrari engine but they are a small team and need money and investment from elsewhere . So $15m sponsorship that Perez might bring would be handy

A few years back Grosjean has the making of a future world champion but things have not worked out at Lotus and Haas was a good move if he wanted to prove himself he can be a top driver. Last season he was almost guaranteed first man to crash in quali or we would hear one of his rants about the brakes not working. This year the car is far better but he has done some really amateurish driving so his career could curtail if the next two races does not show a vast improvement

https://www.planetf1.com/news/renault-eyeing-alternatives-to-sainz/

At the start of the season I thought Sainz was in a win win situation but lately I am not so sure as he is still Red Bull's No 3 driver and he has not kicked on as much as I had expected

This is a shame but it is pretty clear he has been living in Verstappen's shadow from the moment Helmut promoted Max before him when he was expected to be promoted first. He's had to fight off that criticism as well as he only got into F1 because of his Dad.

Red Bull could actually really mess up his promising career l forcing him to drive for the wrong team at the wrong time like the same way Flavio Briatore did by with promising drivers like Fisichella, Trulli, Pantano to name a few.

Carlos may have to make the decision to sever ties with Red Bull to further advance his career because he's already 2 years behind Max who Red Bull intend to make their future

Interesting end point on the article Renault want to use the new engine regulations and help bring in their young drivers and not interested in helping Mclaren but looking at the grid the only team left to supply engines to would either be Williams or Force India in future to allow them to do this so it will be interesting just how Renault's influence grows again on the grid

Last edited:
Well, Grosjean had better results than Magnussen in 2017. In 2017 he outscored Magnussen 28 points to 19 and outqualified Magnussen 12 times to 8. This year, the situation has been reversed with Magnussen ahead 39 points to 12 and outqualifying Grosjean 7 times to 3. But, it appears that this is more caused by Grosjean having a poor half-season than Magnussen finding extra speed. They really probably need to see how the rest of the season goes, as I have the sense that Grosjean is the faster of the two (and I also have the sense that Perez is also faster the Magnussen).

As for Sainz, in addition to "living in Verstappen's shadow" he has kind of also been living in the rejuvinated Hulkenberg's shadow (42 points versus 28 so far this season). If he wants a career that leads to a drive with the top-three teams, he kind of needs to bury the Hulk. Being as good as the Hulk does not get him there (as it did not get the Hulk there). As it is, staying at Renault is probably the best option available for either of them, especially as it is probably a team on the rise.

If budget caps come in place in 2021....then the landscape does change and the top-three teams loose some of their edge (which is currently maintained by each spending over $400 million a year). Teams like Renault, McLaren and Haas are very interesting places to sign a multi-year deal if that could keep you there for 2021 and 2022 and the budget cap is passed (I gather two of the three top teams oppose it).

Nope because off course the teams out in front don't want to change things as it is. Its a stupid situation where teams have more power to decide the direction of the sport. It aint like moto gp where at least the satellite teams can at least compete with the factory teams now and then

Liberty media will have their hands full but F1 does need more manufactures because at lot of them are going to Formula E at the moment. Formula E will be bigger than F1 if they are so short sighted

For me, F1 has been in a steady decline since the end of the Cosworth era. That time gave me one of my greatest thrills of any form of racing when Siffert won the 1968 British GP in a Lotus privately entered by the late Rob Walker.

When a privateer can win in any form of racing, to me, that is when that form of racing is at its most entertaining. Too bad we are never likely to see such times again.

On the back of Renault wanting to look at alternatives if Sainz is not their driver

I should add Mark Blundell on Sky yesterday has suggested that if Bottas and Hamilton stay at Mercedes then Ocon needs to take the Renault offer if there is one

Hamilton, Vettel and Verstappen are apparently the only three drivers who have a confirmed contracts for 2019, I am guessing now that is sorted the rest will drop into place pretty soon.

What next in the F1 driver market after Lewis Hamilton's new deal?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/how-is-the-2019-driver-line-up-shaping-up/

Well the domino effect should start now

Interesting in the event that Riccardo does go to Merc or Ferrari , it appears Gasly would get the seat ahead of Sainz because they are worried about the intensity him and Verstappen might bring to the team which at times at Toro Rosso was stressful

So seriously Sainz could be really screwed if he is forced out of Renault because they want a Frenchman and can't get into Red Bull and is going to end up at the back of the grid with Mclaren:o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom