Weblonsilton vs. Vettel

A KERS failure is the best you can hope for.

A DNF or a non-points finish will surely come Vettel's way...

A KERS failure is the best you can hope for.

A DNF or a non-points finish will surely come Vettel's way...

It may well do, but on recent form it's just as like to come Alonso's or Hamilton's way.

Plus, of course, they need 3 DNFs from Vettel, not one...

I think with 2 DNFs for Vettel the title will be in contention again, assuming Alonso gets some luck because (to me at least) that Ferrari looks very fast now, it was on pace with McLaren Hamilton this weekend in cold conditions which harm Ferrari and even at a circuit like the Hungaroring I wouldn't bet against Red Bull being 2nd fastest.

Of course they wouldn't. It's over.

But we should have some cracking races now up to the end of the season. I know that won't be enough for everyone, but I'm more than happy.

It aint over til it's over. It looks very much imminent but if anyone in with a chance got into their cockpit with that mentality they wouldn't be a racing driver. Kimi and Ferrari picked up the WDC in 2007 when Hamilton and McLaren dropped the ball. The reason he won that title is because he didn't give up and was there to pick up the pieces.

I wish people would stop referencing 2007, the circumstances are very different.

The point is that in very recent times a driver has come from a long way back to win the championship. The circumstances, of course, are very different but they would not need to be the same for a similar outcome. Formula One can be very unpredictable and none of us therefor can know what the circumstances will be for the rest of the season. I'm not drawing parallels with 2007 by any means. I am simply pointing out that it is very pessemistic to give up on the season at this point. Formula One championships are not won through pessimism.

I'm more interested in who's gonna finish 2nd rather than who will win the championship.

Plus Ferrari and Mclaren are only 51 points apart in the WCC, so could be an almighty scrap between them two as to who will finish runners-up in the WCC.

OK, barring Adrian Newey's wife getting caught out down the Milton Keynes copy shop, Vettel is the 2011 world champion.

Or an unmatchable leap-frog effort from McLaren and Ferrari, or a crash, or reliability, or Vettel losing the plot or [insert infinite scenario]

They certainly look like winning and when they do I'll congratulate them. They haven't yet. Vettel knows it, Newey knows it, Horner knows it, Alonso knows it and Hamilton knows it.

We have seen Tennis players come back 2 sets down and we have seen football teams come back and win in the last 5 minutes. As I pointed out, we have also seen Formula One teams come back from similar deficits in shorter time periods.

A quick table.

For the remaining 9 races Seb comes 5th, scoring 10 points at each race.
The first 4 places are shared amongst the other 4 drivers.

Seb still wins.

View attachment 2113
That table proves that my assertion that it is too early to award Vettel the title is absolutely correct. In it, Hamilton, Webber and Alonso are all within one win of Seb at the end, having gained two more wins each from the remaining races. So if any one of them were to get one more win than the table assumes (especially if it were accompanied by a Vettel DNF - and your later post demonstrates that maybe he is overdue at least one of those), then that individual would have overhauled him.

As I have done before, I would remind people of 25 May 2005, Ataturk stadium, Istanbul. Liverpool FC are 3-0 down at half time, outplayed and outclassed by AC Milan. Against all odds they come back in the second half to level the match and go on to win the European Champions League final on penalties.

This season has just started its second half. Still all to play for.

Being realistic, for Vettel not to win from here, at least Ferrari and McLaren need to gain a clear step on RBR. If Button and Massa can finish 3/4 every race, with Alonsilton gaining 7 to 15 points every race, then Webber beating Seb ("SEBASTIAN IS FASTER THAN YOU, MARK!"), might not be necessary.

Is that going to happen. Probably not, but I don't think it is as improbable as some of the rest of you. :)

I wish I had your optimism.
One of the things that impressed me most about Lewis Hamilton, even going right back to his karting days, was his 'never-give-up' attitude. However impossible things might look (either within a race or over a season) he would not let up; he would keep going, keep pushing, always believing that until the race was over anything might still happen. Schumacher shared the same attribute and though I was never a fan, I always admired this aspect of his racing.

Manchester United play football the same way and there has been many a game, or even championship, that they have won in the last few moments by refusing to believe that their chance was gone.

That's all.

One of the things that impressed me most about Lewis Hamilton, even going right back to his karting days, was his 'never-give-up' attitude. However impossible things might look (either within a race or over a season) he would not let up; he would keep going, keep pushing, always believing that until the race was over anything might still happen. Schumacher shared the same attribute and though I was never a fan, I always admired this aspect of his racing.

Manchester United play football the same way and there has been many a game, or even championship, that they have won in the last few moments by refusing to believe that their chance was gone.

That's all.
I'm hoping I get this reply quote posty thingy right, but yeah, you're absolutely right Chad, he'll not give in and that's the mark of a champion in my book. The season ain't over, anything can happen, fingers crossed. I'd like to think the tides turning away from Red Bull dominance slightly and sweating less knowing one of Michaels records still stands regarding podium positions in a season. Was getting close there with Sebastian. I'm a fan of Schumacher bud can you guess, lol.

for the first time this season Vettel looks quite unsettled the team orders row has no t donehim good and obviously comparisons made to his idol Schumacher about not racing his teammate. Vettel has managed to dodge the question whether he would hold back if the positions were reversed on top of accusations he can't overtake when in the middle of the pack again and is only good with a clear track

his lead is massive 3 wins at this stage and no one has managed to overcome such deficit to claim the title

Vettel it has to be said has had all the luck going his way despite the numerous kers issues he has managed to finish races

I don't see Webber catching Vettel but will take points off him. Vettel will fear Hamilton or Alonso more so if ever one of them puts a string of solid races together and finishing ahead of Vettel then who knows

Realistically Vettel needs to drop out of two races and then have some pretty awful races to give others a chance
With Spa and Monza coming up it should suit Mclaren with long straights

Back
Top Bottom