War of Words Continues...

I'm just guessing that since Karthikeyan was barely affected and Button came off far worse, the stewards chose not to penalise him further. Maldonado spun Di Resta (it wasn't on TV), gave the position back and lost another one I think but didn't get a penalty.
Jenson naffed his own race up and Karthikeyan's was not affected so no harm no foul. but at least Jenson said it was his own fault and didn't go round calling people idiots...

I watch on Sky over here in NZ. I've watched every replay I can find and can't see how they could blame Karthikeyan. Vettel turned in on him before he had cleared him and the Sky commentary team all saw it that way. It's up to the overtaking driver to give the other driver room and complete the pass cleanly. That rule has always applied to all forms of motorsport. Don't forget, the stewards don't always get it right. Worse than the incident itself was Vettels response to it. Some have said it was heat of the moment, it didn't appear that way to me. He made the comment some time afterwards when he had time to calm down a bit and think of what he was saying. I've never heard another top driver react that way and he didn't do himself any favors. Buttons reaction was far more measured when Vettel took him out at Spa in 2010, and Button at the time was in the running for the title. I sometimes get the impression Vettel feels no other driver has any right to be on the piece of track he wants to drive on. Vettel and Webber at Turkey ring a bell anyone. :disappointed:

I watch on Sky over here in NZ. I've watched every replay I can find and can't see how they could blame Karthikeyan. Vettel turned in on him before he had cleared him and the Sky commentary team all saw it that way. It's up to the overtaking driver to give the other driver room and complete the pass cleanly. That rule has always applied to all forms of motorsport. Don't forget, the stewards don't always get it right. Worse than the incident itself was Vettels response to it. Some have said it was heat of the moment, it didn't appear that way to me. He made the comment some time afterwards when he had time to calm down a bit and think of what he was saying.

Buttons reaction was far more measured when Vettel took him out at Spa in 2010, and Button at the time was in the running for the title. I sometimes get the impression Vettel feels no other driver has any right to be on the piece of track he wants to drive on. Vettel and Webber at Turkey ring a bell anyone. :disappointed:

Couldn't agree more with all of this I edited out the bit I didn't agree with..

Bro Horner would say that,, but do you know what sickened me more in all of this? Coulthard!! he was adamant that it was Vettal's fault and yet when they were interviewing Horner on the BBC and Horner turned to Couthard and said David will back me up on this, he squirmed into a corner and towed the RB line, what a ****ing wimp...

I'm just guessing that since Karthikeyan was barely affected and Button came off far worse, the stewards chose not to penalise him further. Maldonado spun Di Resta (it wasn't on TV), gave the position back and lost another one I think but didn't get a penalty.

On a side note, though I haven't seen it, apparently they analysed the Vettel-Karthikeyan incident on Sky's The F1 Show and they blame Karthikeyan. Did anyone watch it?

The StarSport commentators (Steve Slater and Karun Chandok) felt that Vettel was at fault.

My view is that Vettel simply didn´t allow Karthikeyan enough wriggle room.

Jenson naffed his own race up and Karthikeyan's was not affected so no harm no foul. but at least Jenson said it was his own fault and didn't go round calling people idiots...
Wasn't Alonso penalised with a post-race time penalty for doing a similar thing to Hamilton in the same race last year, even though the main damage was to his own front wing?

I'm sorry but Vettel's line doesn't change and Karthikeyan turns into him. The penalty was harsh but, given the blame culture in F1 these days, inevitable. Vettel's reaction afterwards was rather juvenile but if he hadn't been hit he would have been 2nd or 3rd (?) in the Championship so he's bound to be pissed off. Wouldn't you be?

In all sports these days the media expects instant interviews and reactions and then we are all surprised when someone comes across as a bit narked because something went wrong. Get real people :rolleyes:

Vettel's line may not change but if you look at the line he was taking you will see that it was one which did not leave Narain adequate space. Watch the line that the Virgin in front took, then watch the evasive line that Narain took and then watch Vettel take a line which shows no respect to the quarter given to him by Narain.

Shame he doesn't seem to have learned a lesson from it as this is the only way that he can avoid making such misjudgements in the future.

Vettel's line may not change but if you look at the line he was taking you will see that it was one which did not leave Narain adequate space. Watch the line that the Virgin in front took, then watch the evasive line that Narain took and then watch Vettel take a line which shows no respect to the quarter given to him by Narain.

Shame he doesn't seem to have learned a lesson from it as this is the only way that he can avoid making such misjudgements in the future.
You mean the line the Marussia took over the curbs whereas Vettel stays a car and a half's width away from them?

I'm changing my stance and blaming Karthikeyan, he created the situation by trying to let cars through at a high speed turn and though Vettel may not have given him much room, Karthikeyan could have lifted as he wasn't racing Vettel. It's just Vettel's childish reaction afterwards that's the problem on his part.

V vs N.jpg

You mean the line the Marussia took over the curbs whereas Vettel stays a car and a half's width away from them?

I'm changing my stance and blaming Karthikeyan, he created the situation by trying to let cars through at a high speed turn and though Vettel may not have given him much room, Karthikeyan could have lifted as he wasn't racing Vettel. It's just Vettel's childish reaction afterwards that's the problem on his part.

View attachment 3800

I think you have misunderstood. A line is not a position on the track at a particular moment. It is a trajectory.

I think you have misunderstood. A line is not a position on the track at a particular moment. It is a trajectory.

I understand what a line is, but perhaps I'm still misunderstanding your point. The Marussia's trajectory took him out onto the curb exiting Turn 8 which is the normal racing line then back across for the next turn, Vettel's trajectory took him on a line parallel to to the curbs/edge of the track out of Turn 8 and Karthikeyan's trajectory took him away from the curbs into Vettel's rear wheel.

I understand what a line is, but perhaps I'm still misunderstanding your point. The Marussia's trajectory took him out onto the curb exiting Turn 8 which is the normal racing line then back across for the next turn, Vettel's trajectory took him on a line parallel to to the curbs/edge of the track out of Turn 8 and Karthikeyan's trajectory took him away from the curbs into Vettel's rear wheel.

Correct, and each of those drivers chose thier lines. There are going to be many who see this incident differently and aportion blame differently.

In the last picture you posted, everybody's car is pointing toward the left curb except Vettel's which is pointing to the right curb. Why? In my view because He was deliberately crowding Narain which is a bullying tactic that we see an awful lot from Mr. Vettel, often to his own cost, as in this case.

Correct, and each of those drivers chose thier lines. There are going to be many who see this incident differently and aportion blame differently.

In the last picture you posted, everybody's car is pointing toward the left curb except Vettel's which is pointing to the right curb. Why? In my view because He was deliberately crowding Narain which is a bullying tactic that we see an awful lot from Mr. Vettel, often to his own cost, as in this case.
Ah, I get what you're saying now. It's just in my view, the only reason Vettel was parallel to the curbs was because he had a slower exit than normal from Turn 8 due to passing Karthikeyan, so he kept the car straight to maximise acceleration whilst giving Karthikeyan room on the outside.

Watching the event in slow motion distorts the events because they happened in real-time. If we were trying to determine the exact point of contact a slow-mo might be useful. In this instance it is more likely to deceive.

Back
Top Bottom