War of Words Continues...

I think it's unreasonable to expect backmarkers to compromise their own race by getting out of the way in a series of corners. Any half decent racer knows that a compromised line into one corner ruins the run through the rest. Patience and reading the behaviour of another driver are other virtues of race craft and therefore provide further opportunities for a driver to demonstrate skills and attributes. I am reminded of the quaint epithet "haste makes waste". That was certainly shown to be a truism on Sunday.

lets see how vettel reacts if things continue to go against him.will he continue with the insults,or suck it up,grin and bare it,get his head down and try and help redbull improve the car while getting decent results along the way.
its funny coz everyone was comparing vettels attitude to that of another drivers,and saying that that other driver should be more like vettel....how quickly things can change.

As I said in the Backmarkers thread, the backmarkers do need to be sensible about where they let cars through.

Whilst Vettel's puncture may have been his own fault, Karthikeyan chose to let Hamilton and Vettel through at the double apex Turns 7 & 8 where he ended up on the wet curbs & soaked astro almost losing the car as both Hamilton & Vettel came through. Vettel may have squeezed Karthikeyan, but Karthikeyan created that whole situation when he could have just let the 2 cars through on the short straight before Turn 7.

Here's the onboard video from Vettel's perspective:

So, he observed the blue flags for the faster car directly behind. In theory he had the right to pass another blue flag before letting anyone else by. The driver overtaking also has a responsibility to make a clean pass anyway. At worst a racing incident. Having said that I believe Vettel was either a) impatient, b) clumsy or c) both. he knew what the conditions were and should have made allowances. Sorry folk's, but that's only my opinion, of course.

Well no idea if Karthikeyan was shown any blue flags before the video, but what we do know is that the stewards who have all the camera angles and steering traces chose to give Karthikeyan a penalty for the incident.

Vettel was catching Hamilton and got caught up in the moment of trying to squeeze Narain as far as he could to close even further. He should have left more room. A racing incident at best.
Vettels biggest mistake was the idiot comment afterwards - that was totally out of order.

Is this not just these appearing in the RBR Team?
cement-crack-lg.jpg

The on board cameras are absolutely fabulous these days. Unfortunately from my perspective it shows that even though the circuit cameras show NK moving over to Vettel, which is what caused the penalty, Vettel's own on board view shows a vastly slower back marker weaving on the edge of control on a dirty track.

One has to assume the penalty on NK is because he got into a position where he moved into the racing line whilst allowing a front runner past.

Vettel's apparent foolhardiness for squeezing a back runner who was on the edge of control was legitimate, but must be viewed as a driver error at best.

Though I've never heard of a self imposed penalty through an accident of your own making, canceling out a stewards penalty. One is not weighed up against the other.
I'm just guessing that since Karthikeyan was barely affected and Button came off far worse, the stewards chose not to penalise him further. Maldonado spun Di Resta (it wasn't on TV), gave the position back and lost another one I think but didn't get a penalty.

On a side note, though I haven't seen it, apparently they analysed the Vettel-Karthikeyan incident on Sky's The F1 Show and they blame Karthikeyan. Did anyone watch it?

Back
Top Bottom