Vettel's Gearbox

We're Vettel's gearbox problems genuine?

• Yes, what fantastic gearbox management.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • No, what a thinly veiled ploy.

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • We shall never know...

Votes: 16 42.1%

• Total voters
I have to say I really don't know and Webber's had such a terrible year I wouldn't want to ruin it more by rubbing his nose in it.

What was funny though was when Brundle asked Coulthard about it on the commentary DC suddenly found other things to talk about and the topic never came back up again. Nicely avoided David.

Word was it had an oil leak as well and Red Bull were surprised it went past 1/3rd distance.

I suspected shenanigans from the outset, but as G has posted earlier, I don't think the drivers were in on it.

Fairly clever on RBR's part, and I don't think anyone will know the full story for quite some time.

This doesn't tarnish Webber's victory in my eyes though, as there have been many GP wins over the years that were much less deserved.

Well in that case I doubt it was genuine. With Hamilton's gearbox problem his engineer just said to him that there's nothing he can do in the car, whereas Vettel's engineer seemed to think he could manage the issue from the car and seemed to get progressively more dramatic telling him to short shift second gear, then second and third, then every corner.

Plus his comment about feeling like Senna in '91 and the RB pit wall laughing at the comment, didn't really make it seem a tense moment for them.

If Vettel had a gear box problem I'll cut off all my buttons change my name to Abram Schwartz and start an Amish community in Somerset.

And I have no doubt that the drivers were in on it either, Vettel definitely was you can tell by the radio transmissions.

Ive not voted; because I dont know whether to go for option 2 or 3. I cant help but think if he raced as hard as he did he cant have had a gear box problem. But I'm told(by more technical people than myself) that I do not understand gear box problems and that an oil leak would not affect performance. Is that so? Is there a technical person that can explain this (in not too technical language)to me:).

The oil leak itself wouldn't affect performance, but it would cause the gearbox to overheat and eventually fail.

What would cause a reduction in performance is short shifting every gear.
Doesn't seem to have caused him to lose too much time though considering how many gear changes there are per lap...

Short shifting in itself also wouldn't stop the oil leak so luckily there was just enough oil to make it to the end of the race...

Yes that makes it clearer about the performance. Thank you. Do you think that happened, or it was just a scam? It sounds like Im coming to the 'we'll never know ' option:unsure:

Back
Top Bottom