USF1/USGPE News

Brogan said:
I had the same thoughts FB when I read the article about it on Autosport yesterday.

Oh my how I LOL when I read that.

Yeah Peter, most of the other teams on the grid know how long it takes to put a car together.

As in Australia, August for Americans is just another working month in which some people maybe take a week or two away. There's no nationwide shut-down

Hey, Pete, this is going to sound like a craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzy idea, but.... hear me out here, oh man are you going to piss when you hear this but you know, it's, like, winter in Australia in August, yeah?

oh and

And, for a company operating on the global stage via a European regulatory hub, the order and method of the US working day. You start as Europe is entering its afternoon frenzy, fresh and ready. You match that until lunch time – and then in the afternoon you move forwards, untroubled by interruptions from the F1 world outside.

Yeah Pete, unless you have lets say a problem in the afternoon with lets say your engine supplier who are based in the UK then you have to wait till the day after for the answer.

Windsor is an interesting character. Please forgive me the slight diversion from topic.

I got Maurice Hamilton's "Williams" book for Xmas. Not bad at all, particularly the contributions from Virginia, and a few nice little tales about mechanics and drivers practical jokes. Perhaps not a huge amount for those who are already very familiar with the team's history, though.

There is a fair bit on the infamous Reutemann fade at Las Vegas in 1981. Windsor stands by his long-stated position that the team weren't equipped to run two spare cars (which they did for the first time) and also that Carlos suffered a terrible vibration due to mismatched tyres.

Quite a few of the other team members are evidently asked the same question, including Patrick Head, and none of them recall there being any mention of a vibration problem.

It's a long time ago though, of course. I didn't get the benefit of Windsor's commentaries on SPEED TV - has anyone heard him?

I remember Craig Pollock and (particularly) Adrian Reynard making some pretty wild claims on BAR's F1 entry. They put the other team owners' noses out of joint and naturally didn't get any favours when they needed them - the twin livery, for one. Not a good idea to rock the boat too much initially, I don't think.

Could this explain why there have never been any serious American rally drivers (holds breath and waits for long list of Wiki entries to prove him wrong) as if the co-drivers would shouted anythign other than "800ft, 90 degree left, fast" "1 mile, 90 degree left, fast" they would get too confused?

fat_jez said:
cider_and_toast":3mfvuxw8]And here's the Barber Motorsport Park if anyone's interested. It looks like a bit of a tricky circuit. Plenty of corners. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_Motorsports_Park said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_Motorsports_Park[/url]

Unusual for an American racing circuit. I thought they only came with 4 left turns ;)[/quote:3mfvuxw8]

Indy Car is racing there this year as well

Here's a possible sponsorship partner and food supplier for USF1:

Bojangles

If Peter Windsor wants to bring us "The best of the good old US of A" what better way to start than with what is reputed to be one of the unhealthiest fast food companies in America. Proudly based in USF1's home city of Charlotte NC. Krispy Kreme doughnuts are also based in Charlotte so I think this mean we can expect many of the pit crew to look somewhat like Mr Bibendum.

bibendum6.jpg

Despite my rather flippent posting above there is some real news from USF1. No, no announcement on drivers but they now have a team manager - John Anderson. Unfortunately this isn't the former (current?) lead singer of Yes but the bloke who used to run Gil de Ferran's Le Man Series team.

Other than what is on this link there is little else about Anderson J, apart from the fact he is Australian. Perhaps he can explain to Peter Windsor when winter & summer are down under :snigger: . Anyone else also suprised that they couldn't find an American to manager Team USA?

GordonMurray said:
Windsor is an interesting character. Please forgive me the slight diversion from topic.

I got Maurice Hamilton's "Williams" book for Xmas. Not bad at all, particularly the contributions from Virginia, and a few nice little tales about mechanics and drivers practical jokes. Perhaps not a huge amount for those who are already very familiar with the team's history, though.

It's not a bad book, is it? I read it myself a month or two ago. I actually found myself disliking Virginia somewhat, some of her comments seemed a little out of place, the one about "retarded children" springs to mind. Of course it's impossible to truly judge these things and the context in which they are given so, no hard feelings Virginia.

Windsor's comments were very interesting in the book, particularly, as you say, some of the stuff about Carlos Reutemann. Can't quite recall much of it right now though :givemestrength:

GordonMurray said:
It's a long time ago though, of course. I didn't get the benefit of Windsor's commentaries on SPEED TV - has anyone heard him?.

I've heard some Speed TV commentaries, I wouldn't describe him as a commentator for those. He's the only one out of the Speed TV team to actually be at the race [which in itself is a crime against broadcasting], and he chips in with the occasional comment in the pits, a bit like the role Ted Kravitz takes with ITV/BBC.

Perhaps a bit more opinionated as you would expect, but his observations are usually eloquent if a little obvious to the seasoned viewer.

I've always found Windsor to be an engaging, intelligent and strong minded journalist in the time I've been following F1. His article in the season review issue of F1Racing was excellent ; erudite and articulate, putting the case forward for JB as the driver most apt to the era in which he races, an era of low speed corners and careful consideration of throttle and braking technique.

He'll be a welcome, and refreshing, voice in the pit lane if he has the opportunity to be in the limelight a little bit more, it could make for some interesting quotes! Whether USF1 will match his ability as a speaker on the race track remains to be seen and I do doubt their ability to survive, even exist, as an F1 team.

LOL - How much am I bet they fall foul of some regulation/rule/design specification before the first race?

Team US F1 has promised an innovative approach for the design of its first Formula 1 car, as the Charlotte-based operation edges closer its first test with the 2010 challenger.

The outfit has spent almost one year working on the new car and one of its chief designers, Scott Bennett, has revealed that the team will not simply be following the pack

I bet they will be LOL

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80962

:?: but with slicks obviously

f1-car.jpg

Apparently the USF1/USGPE car is to be called the "Type 1". What odds do you think I can get that the "Type 2" never makes it to the track?

I think that's a bit of a non story from what I've read.

The actual building is up for sale by the owners but US F1 are tenants and will continue to be after the building has been sold.

The New York Times believes it's down to sponsors pulling out with Chad Hurley (of You Tube fame) moving his money to Campos:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/sports/autoracing/18autos.html?ref=sports

I love this quote from "someone with knowledge of the problems facing the team"

The bottom line is really simple: Sponsor money didn’t come through the way it was supposed to and it has grinded down the company to a halt. They’re having trouble making payroll, they’re having trouble paying suppliers and that’s the situation they find themselves in

Presumably, from the appaling syntax, that person is John Prescott :D

While the current global economic situatin isn't helping matters I think what it does highlight is the general lack of interest in F1 in the USA.

USF1 was supposed to centre itself on it's national origin much in the same way as Dan Gurneys' All American Racers in the 60's. The last team to go cap in hand to it's own country of origin also failed due to lack of interest which was Prost. Poor Alain thought that the French would not wish to see his team fail but he was wrong as well.

It's a shame because I think most people want to see more interest in F1 state side and were looking forward to seeing how they would get on but obviously Bernie knew something we didn't because he's been saying this for 4 months now.

Back
Top Bottom