Tokyo 2020 (21) olympics

No doubt Sky would have jumped in,
but thats the thing sky cant, its against the law

Screenshot_20210728-151324_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210728-151136_Samsung Internet.jpg

But the event is not in the UK, therefore they can do their own deal with the rights holder. We are mainly getting highlights except for only two live sports at any one time, though who chooses them I don't know but when it becomes to the field sports it will crap

Last edited:
Dartman - the issue is more that the legislation is not specific enough, nor is it designed for a digital world. So, had the legislation been written today, it would probably have specified that unlimited coverage across multiple streams on tv and online would be protected. As it stands, the reason that BBC have live coverage is because it is enshrined in law - but it's not full, unconstrained, live coverage... (Partly because in 1996, very few officials could see how much the internet was going to take over)

I know it's currently against the law to criticise Alex Scott for anything at the moment but I swear I would rather listen to 2 hours of static on full volume than listen to 5 minutes of "banter" between her and Clare Balding.

It's like a watching the female equivalent of a pair of Alan Partridge's presenting a sporting section of the one show.

Unwatchable.

GB athletics team, must think they are are cursed. then came with great hopes. but every athlete with great medal hopes has been struck down at worst possible time
  • Father time caught up with Mo Farah
  • Dina asher Smith gets a hamstring tear a month before the Olympics & then reoccurs in the semi final
  • Adam Gemilli in his final warm up, tears his hamstring & cant take his place in semi final
  • KJT leading 200m hepathlon. going to be in medal positions overnight & then gets a calf tear

this was absolutely heartbreaking. not often i feel sorry for the germans but to see her in tears on a halfway through a ride. was tough to watch

also it couldve been avoided, the 1st time you can put it down to luck of the draw . but the olympic organisers were idiots to let that horse out a 2nd time. it was clearly spooked & they knew what was coming. it was bordering on sabotage

also it couldve been avoided, the 1st time you can put it down to luck of the draw . but the olympic organisers were idiots to let that horse out a 2nd time.
They've just said on the BBC1 highlights program that the German rider had the option to refuse the horse and take a reserve one but she chose not to.

They also have a 20 minutes period prior to jumping to settle the horse and work with it.

Finally, if you are sat on a horse's back and losing the plot, in floods of tears and looking as tight as a ducks chuff before you even start the course then the horse will absolutely pick up on that and be even more spooked.

It was absolutely awful to watch though.

They've just said on the BBC1 highlights program that the German rider had the option to refuse the horse and take a reserve one but she chose not to.
ah i wasnt aware of that. im surprised at that & she must not have been watching the fellow competitors. because id been finding out who has "my" horse to get any tips beforehand

yeah i know its easy to say because I've been there. easy for emotions to get better of you. but youve just got to hold it together & jump off at the time when youve hit time limit & got half of the fences to jumo

ah i wasnt aware of that. im surprised at that & she must not have been watching the fellow competitors. because id been finding out who has "my" horse to get any tips beforehand
Looking at it a bit more. The horses are all tested on the same course before the event to prove they can do it and there are no issues.

The 30 best horses are used for the event with a couple added to the list as reserves.

The German lady would have known what had happened in the first round but was left with the option of trusting her own riding ability on this horse or riding a horse that would have been the 31st best and an unknown quantity.

I suppose it's easy with hindsight to say could have or would have but it's too late now.

Being honest, I’m deeply uncomfortable about horses being transported across the world for the olympics, whether in dressage, or the modern pentathlon.

Sadly, the horses don’t get any choice in being herded into aeroplanes, and flown halfway round the world… the achievements of modern pentathletes is amazing - but it would make it even better if they
a) didn’t have to ride horses
b) weren’t disadvantaged by particular horses!

Maybe, they could replace the showjumping with go-karting!

Despite being flown around the world these horses travel in first class conditions with their attendants, far better than you will ever travel in tourist or cattle class. Horse class is way up there possibly above first class more private luxury class, you don't put a horse worth tens of thousands of pounds in a flying version of your average horsebox to fly thousands of miles.

Think you are right on the Pentathlon, all the others are shunted about like circus animals. Apropros nothing, I used to travel past Stamford regularly and they used to advertise the Burghley Horse Trials on a vary large billboard by the A1. I don't think the organisers saw the irony of the event being sponsored by Pedigree Chum dog food.

Interesting bit of trivia fact fans, the Equestrian events of the 1956 Melbourne Olympics were held in Stockholm, Sweden due to Australia's strict quarantine regs.

Horse dancing - a load of ****ing nonsense.

Here's more nonsense.
The rightful winner was demoted to silver for beating his opponent in karate.

Apparently his kick was too hard :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom