The Vuelta 2016

Maybe he thought that if all the minders were out of the way he would have a better chance of beating Quintana who is not known for his non-climbing skills. Today would have been a good day for Froome and a poor one for Quintana.

Knew froome had come out all guns blazing on this vuelta TT. But wow based on 1st sector gap & some calculations ive done froome could be taking 2min 16 out of Quintana

The SKY management must be livid. As expected Quintana was outclassed by Froome in the time trial; the first two places should have been swapped but weren't. I feel that it reinforces my view that Froome would have been better off if all the support riders had been disqualified.

That must go down as 1 of Greatest time trial ive ever watched. 1st time froome been under pressure in his career, he produced in bucketloads. Its almost roles reversed in 2015 tour de france. As then quintana in the final competitive stage on the summit finish. Came very close

On Saturday Quintana did exactly what Froome should have done earlier; he sat on Froome's wheel as though there was a tow rope between them. In my opinion which could be totally rubbish SKY should have sent Konig + another on an early break. Then with at least 2 climbs to go the attacks should have started with the forward riders dropping back to help as necessary. It might have resulted in being a complete failure but at least it would have been a wirthwhile effort. Starting the attacks when halfway up the final clinb could never have resulted in Quintana losing over one and a half minutes.

I have seen criticism of SKY being too defensive and not knowing how to attack and also concentrating on the last fifteen minutes of the stages with uphill finishes without thinking about how much damage could happen from early breaks. It certainly looks that way to me as well.

The big prize for Sky is the Tour De France, the other two Grand Tours are ridden with a second string team and have been since the team's inception. It will take a better rider than Froome to take a double or triple Grand Tour in one season for Sky.

I think that there are so many factors. The olympics will have curtailed any specific preparation, and the tdf win would take a degree of importance away too.

The Sky team seemed to lack the nous of a G or a Stannard or Rowe to manage thd situation on the day. Missinv the break was key. I think that stayinv in contention until the tt was the card that sky were playjng.

As for multiple GT wins in a season, in a non olympic year with specific preparation i think its doable, i think it was a team issue this year. Giro Vuelta double would be the least tough option, but with the tdf as the main target, that is unlikely. Unless they allow landa or g to go for it.

Froome has done far better than I thought he would. Because after the tour de france Olympic time trial & Road Race. Then the vuelta all in 2 months. I thought he would fade, but bill is spot on im surprised sky left it so late i wouldve had a go on prior mountain like chaves. As even worst case scenario you've got quintana isolated. Although typical the 1 time i dont tip quintana & he wins after disappointing tour de france

But after friday & how he very nearly lost it. i found quintana pre season 2017 training schedule
Monday - Time Trial Practice
Tuesday - Time Trial Practice
Wednesday - Time Trial Practice
Thursday - Time Trial Practice
Friday - Time Trial Practice
Saturday - Time Trial Practice
Sunday - Time Trial Practice

Back
Top Bottom