The LH Paradox

There was yet some more glee yesterday when it was reported that Hamilton would get
1. More money
2. Number one status

As in haha so we were right about golden boy being a mercenary selfish git after all. Yet they haven't commented on the clarity that in fact neither are true. I love it. The lengths people will go to to discredit him are quite sad. I'm beginning to think it is better to be deluded and in awe than just searching for negativity and taking smug delight when the tinyest smidgen of even speculation is found.

@ Josh - http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12472/8116535/Brawn-Lewis-wants-new-challenge

"There is a competitive market for drivers and Lewis is as competitive as anyone else in that respect. But Lewis didn't come here because we offered more money - because we didn't," he said.

"As far as I am aware, didn't offer any more than McLaren from a financial point of view. There may be some more freedoms on the branding or imaging side, but that is the kind of freedom our drivers had already - we are not changing what we are offering in that respect.

It's in an autosport article titled "Mercedes 'didn't off more money'", I can't copy the link as its an iPhone app but it's one of the top articles. And I watched the F1 show which was very interesting.

I am not sure about the money, however, I am not really too bothered, as all the sums that were reported have varied wildly, but all seem to be more than enough.

Can anyone honestly say that it is not going to be a challenge? Or that Mercedes would not benefit from his skills and talent? Or that he would need number one status? I don't think so, therefore it would logically follow that lewis was after a new challenge, which Mercedes was able to provide that, so he is off.

Not sure there needs to be much more to it than that.

I think it was James Allan who said yesterday:

Benneton were ok but add Schumacher they were great.
Ferrari were out in the wilderness but add Schumacher they were great
Red Bull had not achieved anything but they got Vettel and became great

Each of these teams had built up a pretty solid base with names such as Brawn and Newey onboard but it was the addition of a great driver that really sparked their success. There is no reason to believe the same won't happen at Mercedes.

I'm delighted that Hamilton now has a chance to show eveyone what he can do by freeing himself from the sticks that he's been beaten with by his detractors. At the same time he hasn't got anywhere to hide either.

Ultimately it comes down to the car.
As good as Schumacher and Vettel are, they wouldn't have won races without a car capable of doing so.

Yes a great driver can make a difference, but not that much.

We only have to see the effect of the loss of the downforce this year to see the marked drop in Vettel's results relative to others.

Oh I agree.

Mercedes just need to come up with a race winning car, which sounds simple enough as they all have the same rules and regulations to work from. Of course if it was that easy then all teams would have race winning cars.

Lotus and Williams have moved forwards this year so it's definitely possible.

But Mercedes already have a race winning car. They've won a race this season haven't they?

I bet if you look at the results of the car in the years before each of the drivers named above joined their teams you can see a clear before and after improvement. It took Schumacher two and a half seasons to win the title with Benneton and a few seasons longer to win the title with Ferrari. It's obviously not going to be an overnight success but unless next years Merc is a stinker there is no reason given the lack of new regulations for nest year that Hamilton shouldn't at least be a regular top three challenger.

Benneton were ok but add Rory Byrne they were great.
Ferrari were out in the wilderness but add Rory Byrne they were great
Red Bull had not achieved anything but they got Adrian Newey and became great

------------------------------------------------

cider_and_toast Fixed that for you! :D

Back
Top Bottom