The LH Paradox

........and had one race win and was never on leading pace. They basically got 3rd because Williams and Mclaren were completely under performed all season - and as Jarno Trulli was sacked for underperforming that year too then you can prob put that 3rd place down to Alonso out performing the car.

The Ferrari was the only thing pretty much on leading pace all season. It's fair to say no-one else was on leading pace that season, even BAR

RasputinLives I think he'd sealed his fate some weeks previously when he let himself get mugged on the very last corner by Barichello for a podium spot at the French GP. He sort of forgot to defend and left the door open on the very last corner. The team were absolutely spitting furious at this. It's a strange thing that one split-second loss of concentration should lose you your job but under Flavio that's apparently what hgappened,

RasputinLives

When trulli was sacked, he had more points than Alonso! Certainly, I can't say that 3rd was down to Alonso outperforming the car!

Also, trulli refused to be managed by flabio, so he had to be shipped out... Alonso on the other hand was managed by flav, so essentially as his employer and his manager, flavio was paying himself extra money by keeping Alonso on!

Yeah - he was ahead by 1 point but in the last 5 Grand Prixs before he was sacked Alonso scored 2 podiums and Trulli didn't finish any higher than 9th. If you add in the fact that Fernando has beat him by 22 points the season before and that since his Monaco win Jarno had just decided to go to sleep - as well as being mugged by Rubens on the last lap in France he quite famously put in the fastest lap of the 2004 Italian Grand Prix in on his last lap of the race when he'd been running in a lowly 10th and massively off the pace all day.

Whilst I'm sure the Flav thing had something to do with it lets remember Jarno dug his own grave - and I still maintaine that the 2004 Renault was only the 5th best car on the grid and only finished 3rd in the constructors because Alonso(and yes Trulli) picked up results whilst Kimi suffered constant retirements for Mclaren and all the Williams drivers completely under-performed.

Kimi had 8 retirements so that's a fair point although Alonso had 5 himself. Trulli was in fact 13 points ahead of Alonso after France, but as RasputinLives says he went to sleep after Monaco (he didnt score a point after France) But I would say that the Renault was as competitive as either the McLaren or the Williams throughout the season, after all, Alonso was close to winning in France until Ferrari pulled a masterstroke on the strategy. (I think this might deserve it's own thread very soon The Pits LOL )

Back
Top Bottom