Formula 2 The 2013 season

He did race the previous GP2 in Malaysia HammydiRestarules but he didn't do too badly then either.

I'm still unsure with Bird. He looked ok in the World Series last year and was on terms with Frinjs and Bianchi and his previous years in GP2 have been ok. He seems to suffer a lot of 'bad luck' which I still haven't figured out if he's the course or not yet.

One things for sure on both the feature and sprint race Bird was very lucky to hang on to his positions with his tyres going off. He pulled it off though so I doth my cap too him.

I loved his start in the feature race, it was awesome.

The title battle doesn't look too great with most of the predicted contenders far behind, and Ericsson with no points.

Nasr is consistent, but doesn't seem quite there, a bit like Raikkonen last year.

That feature race was great, a little amateurish at times.

Got to feel for Ericsson, his seasons basically over and it's just started. Bird was unlucky too.

Dillman drove a fantastic race and deserved better, got a little excited for 3rd place, could have easily been on the podium if Riquelme didn't decide to tangle with him.

Frijns was very good, after Bahrain, I thought he was quite average, but he learned from it, and is certainly a force to be reckoned with.

Nasr, again leaves it too little too late, but is second in the championship, and seems to have exceptional consistency.

And Berthon....what was he trying? LOL

For those who didn't see it here is the Berthon moment in all it's glory. Grosjean and Maldonado better watch out, he is coming for your seats!

The sprint race wasn't interesting until the last 2 laps and then it was amateur hour. These guys need to concentrate a bit more if they want to get into F1.

Frinjs has really spiced up this championship for me this weekend been a while since we've seen a rookie rock upband hit the front straight off. He does look the real deal (have we found a dutch driver for Josh to support).

Frinjs, Colleti and Nasr are starting to look a cut above the rest. Bird might be up there with him if he stops running into trouble.

A word for Jon Lancaster who is a Brit without a budget who jumped in after not being in GP2 for over 12 months and scoring some good results.

The feature race was fantastic. Lotta action. A highlight reel of Dillmans race would be enjoyable. Cannonball Calado continues his antics.

Rossi can be very very fast when he can go all out. He's great at the undercut, but he is paying the price at the back end. Doing a good job for Caterham though.

The race was restarted behind the safety car.
Why?

Are the drivers not deemed competent enough to race?
If not they should have their licenses revoked or be banned.

FFS!
What a ****ing farce.

The race was restarted behind the safety car.
Why?

Are the drivers not deemed competent enough to race?
If not they should have their licenses revoked or be banned.

FFS!
What a ****ing farce.

It wasn't a re-start as such - the drivers weren't on the positions they were on the original grid and in that case the rules state it's done behind SC. The same reason applies to F1 race as was seen on Sunday.

So, with four rounds of the championship down, I thought that, given the number of accidents in GP2, perhaps qualifying is the best way to assess the abilities of the up and coming drivers.

Here I present the average qualifying performances of the GP2 field after Monaco. Each driver is ranked according to their average % difference to the pole position holder, hence 100 is the best possible (corresponding to four pole positions).

As past experience is so important in GP2, and given the practice time restrictions, even more so for qualifying, I've colour-coded the drivers according to their experience level. Hence Robin Frijns has been the strongest average qualifier of the pure rookies with no experience at this level whatsoever.
GP2_2013.jpg

Back
Top Bottom