Poll The 2012 Monaco Grand Prix out of 11

The 2012 Monaco Grand Prix out of 11

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I gave it a 2.I might have gone as high as 3 were it not for the rubbish coverage (and I had a Sky feed on the net as well as the Beeb).

At one extreme there are exciting all action races, and at the other extreme there are challenges. Monaco is at the challenge end of the spectrum. F1 is not just about the racing, it is also about the challenges that the constructors and drivers face in making their packages the best of the best. Todays race was intriguing and tense.

Unfortunately, in their efforts to make the race sound exciting, commentary teams failed to convey the issues that the drivers and engineers were working through. Only in the post race forum did they actually talk about what was going on in the cockpits and along pitwall. A bit.

I'm not surprised that so many folk find Monaco boring when so much of the story relies on either having sufficient knowledge about what is happening unseen on screen - whether that is one's own knowledge or the information provided by the commentary, data screens, trackers and all the other toys that can be accessed on the net. Apart from the timing screen, the Beeb's selection of screens (tracker, pit-lane, etc.) were of little use and a waste of space. I'd like to know from someone somewhat younger than I as to how helpful they were to anyone new or newer to the sport. At least I've been watching all kinds of motorsport for forty odd years along with an engineering and technical background. That at least enables me to enjoy Monaco quite a lot!
I don't think anybody fails to recognise what a challenge the circuit is for driver, car and team but at the end of the day F1 is an open wheel single seat race format. It's not like hill racing or rallying as interesting as they may be. The circuit being what it is effectively ends the racing on Saturday the actual "race" is a matter of getting to the first corner ahead of your nearest rivals and then making the tyres last. Oh and 1000's of people at the venue with absolutely no interest in watching the racing.

I can understand folk's getting bored reading my excessively long and pedestrian intro-paragraphs and subsequently missing the main points of my posts. Unfortunately, I am disinclined to alter my writing style since I come from the age group that, for some reason, have excessively long attention spans and appreciation for the narrative over the action. Sorry about that.

I've only ever enjoyed Monaco once. That was 1992. I think because I was young I actually thought Mansell might get past Senna. I was wrong then and I'm still wrong now in thinking that it'll ever be something more than a processional snooze fest with a crash and a broken front wing or two.

Zero.

-5 one of the dullest races ever. Lets not go back, F1 is to fast for Monaco. Cancel Monaco bring back Paul Ricard.

Now, how about this for an idea. If F1 must go to monaco, why not race in the opposite direction? The dynamics of the circuit would be changed, and then there would be the possibility of overtaking into a tight first corner!

Or how about this.... If F1 needs to go to Monaco, they can race around on bikes instead of in cars.... A circuit like Monaco is really not designed for cars - but it would probably be interesting to see the racing on motorbikes.... However, it would never happen, not least because it would be lethal.

Edit... I'm not saying that I would like the racing to be lethal! The racing would be better, but it would be horrible to watch because of the other issues.

Monaco is an anachronism.

There is no way it would ever get FIA approval to hold an F1 race these days.

I fail to see why just because a bunch of "beautiful people" want to party that weekend the strict FIA safety and technical regulations with regards to circuits should be waived.

I fail to see why Monaco is attracting these critical comments... the "racing" around these streets has been woeful to average since the early 80's...

Would this year have been different if one Lewis Reggie Hamilton or Jenson Nigel Button had bunged it on pole and taken home the chocolates ? I think think the comments would have been a little more muted...

Aussie Aussie Aussie.... Oi Oi Oi...:goodday:

I'm not sure why you're turning it into a partisan argument, other than just to create an argument.

My opinion of Monaco hasn't changed, regardless of who has won over the years.

Webber winning suited me nicely as he's in my FF1 team.

Brogan...not seeking an argument, nor wishing to create an argument... agree that Monaco hasn't provided a "race" for 30+ years... I was just making an observation... it was a procession with the quality and temperament of the drivers in the top six train no doubt influenced by the way this years WC is shaping up with regard to consistency...

FB... agreed... the last reasonable race in Monaco was 1984 (which pre-dates my viewing by a year or so)... and that was (n)Ickx'd just in time for the result to come in...

Back
Top Bottom