The 2011 cars

I think they may have some issues passing the FIA Crash test with that one and where are they going to find room for the sponsors logos ??

lol.gif

Mercedes Duck Bill looks awful, isn't there some quote about if a car looks quick it it quick? That needs to have some major speed benefits to make it look attractive! It's a shame they've gone back to a "conventional" air intake too - I really liked the look of last year's.

Mercedes Duck Bill looks awful, isn't there some quote about if a car looks quick it it quick? That needs to have some major speed benefits to make it look attractive! It's a shame they've gone back to a "conventional" air intake too - I really liked the look of last year's.

suprised nobody as mentioned it yet, but the Green AirAsia Lotus seems to a Mercades style intake groovy.

I thought the Merc-style airbox had been banned for 2011 on safety grounds (wouldn't fancy it much upside-down in a gravel trap) so it'll be interesting to see what LotusMalaysia have done and how.

Yep, according to Autosport magazine that flat style roll bar is on the banned list for 2011 and rightly so IMHO. Don't know if they are going to get away with this one. I would assume that we will see the car looking different when it makes it's public debut on track tomorrow.

thinking.gif

Agree AMR however there is one post of the car surrounded by mechanics at the factory and you can clearly see the Merc style roll fin in that picture as well.

Yippeeee I got a question on the Lotus T128 roll bar answered by Autosport.Com. :victory:

15:44 Robert asks live@autosport.com: Having looked at the launch pictures of the new Lotus T128, I've noticed that the roll bar is in the style of the Mercedes from last year. I believe this was made illegal for 2011 due to the dangers of it digging in should the car roll. Is there an explanation or will the car look different tomorrow?

AUTOSPORT's F1 editor @eddstrawF1 says:

The rules were modified to prevent such a narrow spike being used because of fears about the single spike digging into the ground if the car were to roll. The images we've seen of the Lotus so far suggest that the spike is much wider than that of last year's Mercedes, which would allow it to comply with the way that the rules were changed.

It remains to be seen whether having such a wide spike works well with the needs of the airbox, as the shape of the box is critical when it comes to the airflow into the engine and the flow approaching the rear wing.

It's hard to say conclusively until we see the final car, but having asked a few technical directors their opinions, the feeling is that there is no problem on legality. Whether it is the right way to go design-wise, given the thickness, is another matter.

It's worth noting that Mercedes designed their car to switch easily between the two concepts, and Lotus might be able to return to a more conventional design if it doesn't work. So probably not a big risk.

Some interesting comments from Rosberg on the movable rear wing here, which we haven't had much discussion of so far. Whilst I can understand from his comments that it must feel pretty unsettling when it's activated, it seems to me that the wing getting stuck shouldn't be a huge issue* - in this video of the Sauber the flap appears to be up when activated, so I would expect that if it did fail, it would probably be more likely to fail safe - that is, in it's downward position, due to all that air pressure forcing it down. Thoughts?

And do we think all the different team's flaps will work in the same way, or might the Merc's operate in the opposite direction (for example)?

*in terms of likelihood of occurrence, that is - a sudden lack of downforce under braking would obviously be potentially disastrous!

Cheers,
J

Some interesting comments from Rosberg on the movable rear wing here, which we haven't had much discussion of so far. Whilst I can understand from his comments that it must feel pretty unsettling when it's activated, it seems to me that the wing getting stuck shouldn't be a huge issue* - in this video of the Sauber the flap appears to be up when activated, so I would expect that if it did fail, it would probably be more likely to fail safe - that is, in it's downward position, due to all that air pressure forcing it down. Thoughts?

Hi J, As far as I can recall you are correct in assuming that they are designed to fail safe, I'll dig out a link when I get back, unless someone else can find it first ;)

Back
Top Bottom