The 2011 cars

Next up is the Renault R34.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/01/31/renault-r31-launch-first-pictures/renaultr31_2011/

renaultr31_2011.jpg

I looked at a comparision between the 2010 ferrari and the 2011 car, and i take back what i said, when put side by side the two cars really look differnent

Yeah. To be fair to Ferrari it is like football kits. You can move things around but at the end of the day Ferrari are as likely to change their shade of red, or style of car as Manchester United or Liverpool are. I think i am just getting use to the major year to year changes cars have had in recent years. They are all very similar in shape this year.

A colleague of mine at the office reckons that the Lotus Renault (I think!) has an EBVF (exhaust-blown front wing)!!*!?!?

Can this be true? I haven't seen any reference to such a thing in the launch info on any of the usual F1 sites or forums, including this one (which is normally pretty quick to spot and flag up things like that).

Wow. The brains in f1 are incredible. No wonder we haven't been to the moon in years. NASA must've lost all its potential staff to f1.

I would imagine that channelling the exhaust into an area under the front of the side pods would free up a lot of space to the rear of the car and allow for a great space to channel air to the rear diffuser but as Grizz has said, heat management is going to be the big issue here surely?
Perhaps not. There is mostly only bodywork here for the hot air to pass over, rather than the rather important suspension parts that caused so many problems last year with the teams trying to retrospectively incorporate the EBD.
And I understand that they may also be doing clever things with those flanges at the base of the sidepods to further channel the air round towards the rear diffuser to get even more benefit.

Sauber C30 and Lotus T128 also launched, pictures on F1.com
Nice to see Sauber have a car full of sponsors.
The pictures of the Lotus are rubbish, but it looks more or less the same.

Perhaps not. There is mostly only bodywork here for the hot air to pass over, rather than the rather important suspension parts that caused so many problems last year with the teams trying to retrospectively incorporate the EBD.
And I understand that they may also be doing clever things with those flanges at the base of the sidepods to further channel the air round towards the rear diffuser to get even more benefit.

There's a bit more to it than that though. I've attempted to illustrate the main hurdles as i see them...

Firstly you do not want heat spreading into the car body, fluids/hydraulics, mechanisms and delicacies. All the heat will need to be entirely contained in the pipes with thermal protection and will need to travel much further through the car to get the air where you want it... which leads to point two, gas flow and heat.

To achieve a down-force advantage from this, you need the gas as hot (thin/low pressure) as possible, so as much heat as you can retain the better, but also, you need to get rid of the exhaust as freely and easily as possible, ie, the lowest restriction possible since this is directly linked to how many ponies you'll reap from the engine.

Corners = restriction and Enstone Lotus Renault not only need to turn the exhaust through 180deg, twice, their exhaust gas will need to travel at least twice as far as traditional exits, bringing further restriction. All these hurdles need to be overcome to make this a gain. Its not that the potential isn't there, but it will take a lot to make this truly work. Certainly the most exciting innovation we know about thus far...

There is another theory that could be explored ; Which is whether the under floor exits could actually be used as venturis and positively draw the exhaust out of the engine. The tuning/timing etc would need to be matched, but in theory you could produce an effect similar but opposite to ram-air, actually improving the flow through the exhausts, raising hp in the same breath!

smile.gif

This front exhaust blown diffuser sounds interesting. Can't say I know anything about the technics but it's fun to speculate ha

Anyone car to take a bet on how long it will be into the season before the Exhaust Blown Front Diffuser is banned?

Anyone car to take a bet on how long it will be into the season before the Exhaust Blown Front Diffuser is banned?

If renault, and any other team who put it in there car blow everyone away in the first race, ill bet £20 protests will be made after the first round, FIA will say its legal and by race 2 get banned for next season.

Thats basicilly whats happened for the past 2 seasons right?

That Lotus looks really nice. Probably drives horribly but damn, that is one fine looking vehicle!

When i heard they were going to run the classic gold and black colours i did start to wonder why? They horrible colours to run in the modern age of racing, and mean nothing to me personally as i am too young to have seen the original cars racing. So glad they chose to keep their green.

When i heard they were going to run the classic gold and black colours i did start to wonder why? They horrible colours to run in the modern age of racing, and mean nothing to me personally as i am too young to have seen the original cars racing. So glad they chose to keep their green.
Got to agree with you John. As I've said before black and gold are not Team Lotus colours they are the colours of the JPS cars and probably only appeal to those who don't know better. If Genii Lotus Renault aquired a sponsor who's corporate colours were black and gold then it would make sense but this is just posturing.

BTW, welcome to the site
thumbsup.gif

If any one is interested, Autosport.com are offering £1.99 for a months access to Autosport.Com plus which includes live commentary of the Valencia tests.

Sorry, AMR, you don't even get to view the tests, it's a live text stream. I don't think anyone is covering the tests live.
frown.gif

The Mercedes is an agressive looking car...

It's got a very, very tightly packaged rear end compared to the others, but it looks like it might be carrying its bulk 'up front' in the sidepods.

RB7 looks like RB6 to me...?

It's got a very, very tightly packaged rear end compared to the others, but it looks like it might be carrying its bulk 'up front' in the sidepods.

RB7 looks like RB6 to me...?
I thought the same, Autosport has pointed out though that the nose is higher, engine cover is higher? and a differnt concept rear wing??, differnt concpet as in its moveable??

I think verymuch an evolution of last years car.

Back
Top Bottom