The 2011 cars

Reportedly RBR will use Infiniti engines this year. Infiniti are part of Nissan. Nissan and Renault work as one company. Engine remains the same, seems like Infiniti trying to boost their poor European sales figures. Bit like Jaguar a few years ago was really a Ford, but with a costume on.

It didn't help Ford or Jaguar much, did it? And I can't see it helping Nissan/Renault/Infiniti much now either. Funny that it's the team who bought 'Jaguar' though that are still playing the 'Name' game.

Meh. I suppose with this change it doesn't look as much as though the Renault customer team are beating the Renault works team any more (even though they are).

I thought Infiniti was still a North America only brand; I remember them doing badged engines for IRL in the early days. I don't think I've ever seen an Infiniti in the UK, though Wikipedia tells me they are starting to sell them in "certain European markets".

hmmm...... The same Renault engine, differnt name, extra 7million quid in there back pocket. Well from RedBulls point of view they must be pretty pleased.

All i know about Infiniti, they're supposed to be to Nissan, what Lexus are to Toyota, Oh and they appear in Forza 3.

Since when did Ferrari chnage their sidepods?

Launch sidepod
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ferrari_f150_1680_3.jpg

Revised one use in latest Barcelona test
http://i61.servimg.com/u/f61/11/51/83/56/mass_f10.jpg
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

Well I think all the cars are going to have new parts before the start of the season. The devlopment race never stops.

Considering that a lot of people invovled in F1 were saying tha the Ferrari that launched was very conservative then pehaps theyve got more parts to fit to the car, and perhaps were not fully revealing there hand at the launch, knowing the intrest launches get and not wanting to show there secrets to the other teams.

Given Ferrari launched there car without even getting the name right it shouldn't come as any surprise that quite major things like the side pods are going to change during testing. I'm sure I read somewhere that Williams plan to change as much as 20% of the car per test and what they roll at at the car launch and what they race at the first Grand Prix are almost completely different cars.

But still Nick Wirth thinks it can all be done with CFD (sorry, am I starting to sound like a broken record?)

I may have some good news McLaren fans! It's possible that they may have found a better way for the drivers to enact their KERS and Drag-Reduction System's (DRS) and than Red Bull. Or it could just be that Seb's getting a jump on the competition in the complaint department.

http://f1.madeinmotorsport.com/en/h...elbourne-overtaking-zone-confusing-20290.html

Meanwhile, also during the meeting with Whiting, some teams proposed that the wings not be allowed to be triggered in practice and qualifying in a bid to reduce the drivers' workload.
Reportedly, Red Bull wanted the limitation to be imposed, while the likes of Ferrari and McLaren did not agree.

"Presumably, McLaren and Ferrari have developed techniques that make it easier for the drivers to operate the systems," said Whiting.

Indeed, close inspection of the McLaren and Ferrari steering wheels reveals extra paddles on the back, reportedly simplifying the use of KERS and the rear wing.

I know I'm clutching at straws here, but I'll cherish any piece of news that suggests Red Bull might not utterly demolish the McLaren this year.

Weren't Ferrari testing a foot operated adjustable wing at Barcelona?

Which reminds me of the foot operated dipswitch on my old Morris 1100. Perhaps that's where they got the idea from.

Just wondering whether running ARW and KERS in practice and qualifying might have any reliability implications that RBR could be concerned about? KERS obviously generates a lot of heat...

Just wondering whether running ARW and KERS in practice and qualifying might have any reliability implications that RBR could be concerned about? KERS obviously generates a lot of heat...​
I can understand the KERS causing reliability problems but hows would the ARW affect reliability, even if it does get stuck it reverts to the closed version doesn't it...?

It does.So all that would happen is that either the car would go straight on at the corner at the end of the activation straight or the manage to get round it somehow and return to the pits.
By the time the season starts any remaining KERS problems should be ironed out and I don't see it causing any reliability issues.
There will be some problems occassionally but no more than other parts of the car.

I'm not particularly sympathetic with the safety concerns, Rubens suggesting that other drivers will attempt to drive through corners with the wing up and crash, or too many buttons to press :nah:Drivers crash, Petrov manages to crash testing the curbs in a race, driver error is driver error and will always be there. Pretty inescapable example is the quick-shift. It wasn't invented for safety, it was speed and until that time you had a clutch and a gear stick. I don't see pressing a couple of buttons and moving your knee every so often being anything like as challenging as shifting gear through 130R or Parabolica, awaiting 4 bar of boost to hit you in the arse with enough shove to spin the wheels at will. If the top drivers in the world cannot manage it, I/we are all completely unsafe driving a normal manual car. ...Well many of us are but that's another point:whistle:

One legitimate complaint i see, is the fact if unlimited use of the wing is permissible in qualifying, you will have different ideal gear ratios to that required in the race, however they will be under parc ferme conditions between, so teams will have to go with the ideal quali setup, or the ideal race setup.... but thinking about it, that could just add another dimension to the racing....

Weren't Ferrari testing a foot operated adjustable wing at Barcelona?

Which reminds me of the foot operated dipswitch on my old Morris 1100. Perhaps that's where they got the idea from.

No, they got it from the Rover P5 floor mounted 'free wheel' pedal.. :D

One legitimate complaint i see, is the fact if unlimited use of the wing is permissible in qualifying, you will have different ideal gear ratios to that required in the race, however they will be under parc ferme conditions between, so teams will have to go with the ideal quali setup, or the ideal race setup.... but thinking about it, that could just add another dimension to the racing....
Very good point Grizzly.
The difference is about half a gear for 12 kmph at 18000 rpm.

Sam Michael :

Q: How effective do you think the rear wing will be in racing conditions?
SM: “In qualifying it will be worth about half a second per lap.

Half a second a lap sounds surprisingly low doesn't it? If you can use it freely in qualifying couldn't you use it down every straight? Would've thought it was closer to 1s..

Doubt it.High top speed has a very small impact on actual lap speed.Corner speed is far more important.

Alright, stupid thought of the day.

Sam Michael says (as in the quote) that the DRS/ARW will be worth 0.5s in qualifying. I'm assuming he means that includes every time on the track you can use it, which will be down every straight and through some corners, if you're brave enough or the car is good enough to handle it.

My question now is, if it is only worth 0.5s per lap in free use in qualifying, then how much does that make it worth down the pit straight during the race? 0.2s? 0.3s? 0.4s? Depends on the track, obviously, as does his comment of "0.5s".

Let's say it's worth 0.5s in qualifying across the whole lap at Melbourne. During the race, you're 1s behind, and you can use it down the main straight, so obviously that will be less than 0.5s, since the main straight is the only time you can use it. So it's going to do you very little good if you can only cut the gap to the guy in front of you 0.1s!

I really think that the effect will be both

a) minimal
b) not artificial in producing 'push-to-pass' overtakes

OR

a) Sam Michael is underestimating the amount it will be worth, or his numbers were based around some simulation of another track.

The more I think about it and the more the FIA get the balance right, I think this could really work in giving drivers the chance to overtake.

Calculations can be found here.
Note: The zones will be on the start-finish straights in Australia and Malaysia, while in China it will be at the end of the long back-straight.
The current F1 cars are all close to an overall length of five metres. So for the following car to pass the car in front it has to cover at the bare minimum of three car lengths plus reasonable spacing between them to avoid accidents. The following car cannot get closer than two metres to the car in front before it pulls out to overtake. On that basis the following car must cover at least eighteen metres to safely pass the other car. The driver in front will position his car to force his opponent to pass him on the wrong side thus ensuring that his opponent has to be fully clear of him before he can get onto the correct racing line for the next corner. He will not need to change his line more than once which he is allowed to do within the present rules.
Using the FOTA simulated data as my source, the wing will be worth about 10/12 kph when deployed, a similar effect to the F-Duct. To do a proper calculation of the effectiveness of the low downforce wing positions, we must make some assumptions. They are as follows:
  • Two cars reach the “wing deployment” line almost equal and almost side by side.
  • Neither car uses Kers
  • Both cars have equal speed at the line, for this example, 300 kph.
  • One does not use the wing (A) due to regulation
  • One does use the wing (B)
  • The distance covered is 600m
Here is the formula for car A:
(600m/300,000m) * 3600secs = 7.2 seconds to go 600m at 300 kph
300 kph = 300,000m per hour
1 hour =3600 seconds
Here’s the formula for car B:
(600m/312,000m) * 3600secs = 6.92 seconds to go 600m at 312kph
Results: car B covers the 600m .28 seconds faster than car A, as 7.2 – 6.92 = .28 secs
Is that enough of an advantage to make the pass? It depends on how much distance a car covers in .28 secs at an average of 312 kph.
If one (B) goes 600m in 6.92 secs they travel 1m in 6.92secs/600m = .011533….sec per meter
If the speed advantage using the “wing down” gains .28secs, then the formula is .28secs/.011533 secs per meter = 24 meters gained over the other car. 24 meters is enough. The pass could be made.
But of course, the cars will not be operating under the assumptions expressed above. They will not be side by side, they will not be going the exact same speed, they will not be without the Kers option, and they will not be equal in any way.
The best case example shown above proves it is possible to pass with the “wing down” option, in a best case scenario, but the many other variables means that it is not likely to happen with any regularity.
Last year’s dominant car the Red Bull RB6 dominance was not down to its top speed. In truth it rarely appeared in the top five or six cars in the speed traps. High lap speeds are far more dependent on cornering speeds than outright top speeds on the straights.
It would also appear that even if this wing was in use last year that Alonso would still not have managed to pass Petrov on the straight at Abu Dhabi as the Renault was some eight kph faster on the straight.
If its use was unrestricted it could well play a much more decisive role. It is unrestricted in qualifying which will give a good indication of its potential.

Back
Top Bottom