The 2011 cars

I remember hearing/reading that the Virgin was running over the weight limit until mid-season last year, so I don't think we should assume that they could incorporate KERS without getting into similar trouble again...even if there was an off-the-shelf system available, which there isn't.

I rather like the HRT. Aerodynamically it looks somewhat more convincing than the Virgin to me, though they're using the same tub as last year.

Magnetti Marelli make and sell a complete KERS system for F1.This is the same system as used Ferrari,Sauber, Red Bull and Renault.

There was no ban on "blades". All the rules state is that the roll structure must have a cross sectional area of 10,000 sqmm at 5 cm below its highest point, with a maximum width or length of 20 cm. That means it only has to be 5 cm in the other dimension, which is still much more blade-like than a traditional airbox.

FIA said:
For 2011 the FIA has decided such solutions could prove dangerous in incidents of cars rolling on a soft surface such as grass or sand, where the blade could cut into the ground. A minimum cross section has thus been imposed, to discourage similar designs.

It appears the regulations weren't that discouraging. :blink:

Except that Mercedes have binned it!
confused.gif

I thought the same. They are technical partners too
dunno.gif

Maybe between the three of them (Merc/FI/McL) they decided to do a full program with it...

I like this thought from Williams technical director Sam Michael:

And I think the other thing that shows up this year is there is not much that you can't do. And because of whats happened with Formula One with restrictive bodywork regulations, people are becoming more and more extreme, either in the aero or mechanical solutions they are coming up with. There are things on the car now, ours included, that you'd look at two years ago and you'd say, "oh that's impossible, you can't do that" and we're doing them all. And other teams are doing them aswell.

It would seem the tighter the restrictions the more slippery the designers become.

It appears that McLaren have already tried a number of exhaust options including a possible FEE, though no one yet knows where that exit might be.

Sort of conventional blowing over the diffuser:

Ubend to a possible FEE?

Search me? It's gone walkabout!

How on Earth would that work? I can see how the front exit exhaust is being used to accelerate airflow around the sidepod, but an exhaust placed such that the exhaust gasses flow orthogonally to the airflow around the sidepod will disrupt flow to the beam wing, not enhance it... odd.

Back
Top Bottom