The 2011 cars

Your spot on IMO Enja, it will make minimal difference in the race, as designed, and simply give a very small assist to any hard chasing driver. It will hopefully turn those, nearly close enough to have a go chances, into, close enough to at least take a look down the inside chances....

I'm not too worried about the drag reduction device. Hopefully it will do it's job and cancel out the drag but other than that i just want to get on with the racing.

One thing that worries me is it might dominate the coverage in the first week. I can just imagine lap after lap the broadcasters showing two cars go through timing zone and seeing if the are less than a second behind, then waiting with baited breath to see if the magic overtake button works, then going to sleep for the next 3 quarters of a lap.

When i first heard about it i thought it was a great idea, now i think while it is not a bad idea, we should put it to the back of our minds and focus on the excitement the tyres are going to make instead. The general consensus is this will be where the real drama is, and too right. :)

Kers and wing explained by Maaaaark Webber

The animators have the leading red bull veering to the left on another red bull :whistle:

I hear that there has been talk of possible driver action over the increasing complexity of operations, number of buttons to press, etc. required to be carried out by the drivers, leading to safety concerns. They might even go on strike! (though I doubt it)

They should give them back a proper gearstick and a third foot pedal. That would sort the men out from the boys.

I hear that there has been talk of possible driver action over the increasing complexity of operations, number of buttons to press, etc. required to be carried out by the drivers, leading to safety concerns. They might even go on strike! (though I doubt it)

They should give them back a proper gearstick and a third foot pedal. That would sort the men out from the boys.

I heard about this as well. I think Charlie's reply was that "nobody is forcing them to use anything."

I can certainly see incidents being blamed on these devices and the dexterity necessary to operate them though.

But in all seriousness, if drivers on the average American freeway can eat a burger, type a text message, honk at the slower motorist ahead of them, sip on a bevearge, and discipline the youngsters in the back seat, all while operating a motor vehicle, I see no reason why the best racers in the world cannot handle a few more tasks behind the wheel. :thankyou:

One final note. There is some talk about Hamilton hopping into Tony Stewart's car at Watkins Glen this summer, and in the article about it, one of the only quotes from Lewis was a remark about how utterly primitive a NASCAR steering wheel is compared to an F1 model.

But in all seriousness, if drivers on the average American freeway can eat a burger, type a text message, honk at the slower motorist ahead of them, sip on a bevearge, and discipline the youngsters in the back seat, all while operating a motor vehicle, I see no reason why the best racers in the world cannot handle a few more tasks behind the wheel. :thankyou:

Precisely. Make'em work! Separate the men from the boys.:thumbsup: It can give more opportunity for great drivers to outshine their competitors/theoretically faster cars etc as well, which is great for us. We all saw Schumacher back in the early 2000s changing brake bias, diff settings, power steering settings from corner to corner to leap clear of his rivals.

PS - you forgot to mention tune the radio too.....

S'pose this is relevant to the car thread. That well known "gut Lord", Rubens Barrichello has been asked to lose weight to suit the new cars!

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?optio...r-formula-1-kers-return&catid=1:f1&Itemid=157

Rubens weighs between 70 and 79 kg (a weight I can only dream about). I remember reading an article many moons ago which suggested F1 drivers would become like jockeys. Turns out it was true.

Its interesting, in that David Coulthard article you linked to, he says if Webber had more freedom on ballast then he may have won the title last year. Very possible.

The "tall vs small" thing will play out again at Red Bull and McLaren this year, and it would take a mad man to sell the idea that it doesn't make a difference.

Not exactly.

The weight distribution has been fixed so that a heavier driver whose car is equipped with KERS doesn't pay a weight-distribution penalty.

I heard about this as well. I think Charlie's reply was that "nobody is forcing them to use anything."

I can certainly see incidents being blamed on these devices and the dexterity necessary to operate them though.

I can see why some of them argue it is getting too much like an xbox game but most of these buttons will surely become second nature to them by the first race if not already. It is just excuses.

Don't think you got away with that little sleight towards "our Nige" :D

I'm making a serious point, it is unlikely that he would be successful in modern F1 (he'd have to get rid of the 'tasche to start with). And he was beaten by le petit Prost in the same car in 1990!

Back
Top Bottom