Teams protest McLaren's rear wing

BlackCountryBob said:
snowy said:
For some odd reason I don't believe this report is true. :thinking:

At first site I also thought it was a bit iffy but I found a corroborating source at ESPN who seem to be going for less of the McLaren are a bunch of cheaters angle by stating that several cars have been told to change their diffusers including McLaren and Renault.

http://en.espnf1.com/bahrain/motorsport ... 11176.html

Autosport writes:
F1's technical regulations state that a hole can exist in the diffuser to allow access for an engine start motor. Article 3.12.7 states: "A single break in the surface is permitted solely to allow the minimum required access for the device referred to in Article 5.15. [supposed to refer to starter motor, although this is Article 5.16]".

There is no definition of what the 'minimum' requirement is though - and some teams have used exotically shaped starter motors to allow themselves to fit sculpted holes in the diffuser that produce an aerodynamic benefit.

It is understood talks took place between the FIA and at least three teams - including McLaren and Mercedes GP – to sort out the matter. The governing body believes that the outfits are exploiting the rules with what they are doing – even if they are not strictly going against the regulations.

Sources suggest that a clarification will be issued by the FIA prior to the Australian Grand Prix. Reports which suggest the designs had definitely been outlawed are believed to be wide of the mark.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said about the situation: "I think Charlie came came down and looked at all the cars in that area, but I am not aware that anyone had any action taken against them over it. There were some concerns expressed.

"There is a discussion between all the teams about what we are going to do. There are holes in the diffuser for the starter, the hole in ours is no bigger than the one on the championship winning car last year. And also no bigger than it is on about four other cars."

Back
Top Bottom