Super-Softs: Bad For Mercedes / Good For Sauber in Canada, Valencia

I wouldn't expect so Ray. The performance gap between the two is enough to justify an extra two pit stops using the Super-Soft, if required. The pitlane is short and the time penalty for a stop is relatively low compared to some circuits, while the worry of being caught in slower traffic is substantially negated by the over-generous DRS allowance.

Plus, the Super-Soft will hold temperature better if the race is cool, further exacerbating the performance gap between the compounds, and possibly also negating the Soft's longevity advantage.

It's also been very hot here recently. Two days ago it was 40 degrees with the humidex in Toronto.

If Vettel would have made the Softs last 62 laps...and Kobayashi made the Super-Softs last 44 laps, why would you need so many pitstops? How many were there last year? If Vettel and Kobayashi did 2-Stint races at Monaco, I can see them doing 3-Stint/2-Stopper races in Canada. No?

It's also been very hot here recently. Two days ago it was 40 degrees with the humidex in Toronto.

If Vettel would have made the Softs last 62 laps...and Kobayashi made the Super-Softs last 44 laps, why would you need so many pitstops? How many were there last year? If Vettel and Kobayashi did 2-Stint races at Monaco, I can see them doing 3-Stint/2-Stopper races in Canada. No?

2 different race circuits you are comparing there...

One where track position is key...the other is a different matter

Different thread, same point.

It's not all about just making the tyres 'last' in 2011 - they need to last and be quick.
No one's disputing that Vettel's tyres could have done 62 laps, but his car was the slowest of the 3 due to that fact because of these worn tyres.
On any track other than Monaco, where overtaking opportunities will present, this would have been the wrong choice/strategy.

It's not all about just making the tyres 'last' in 2011 - they need to last and be quick...On any track other than Monaco, where overtaking opportunities will present, this would have been the wrong choice/strategy.

I agree. How much faster will the Softs be after 25% of the race (in middle race fuel mode) in relation to a set of Softs at 37% of the race (same fuel levels) and how much will an extra pitstop be?

All of it accounting for no pitstop error and being in clean air...and no Safety Car. I wonder what the trade off is?

All of it accounting for no pitstop error and being in clean air...and no Safety Car. I wonder what the trade off is?

Take the point about the pitstop errors - we've seen an awful lot of slow ones; the desperate scramble to cut from 4 -> 3s has resulted in many much longer stops.

As I said before, plenty of overtaking opportunities will mean an aggressive tyre strategy will be needed. No point saving rubber if you have two DRS zones to defend against.

"Aggressive" tyre strategy is in the eye of the beholder, though. From Red Bull's point of view, McLaren's 3 Stopper for Monaco may have been considered "agressive" whereas McLaren may have thought that Vettel only 1 Stopping was rather 'agressive' thinking. "Aggressive" as in "more" doesn't always mean "winning", especially when you consider:

1. TIMING (a Saftey Car could undo everything ); or

2. Pit Crew ERRORS (ask Massa and Hamilton how much time they've lost in pit stops this year);

3. Time lost doing an extra stop in relation to time gained on faster tyres...and even then you have to bet that you may not trip over another contender for decent points when you have to over take guys (like Vettel did to the Ferrari and McLaren drivers in Australia and Spain...like Hamilton having to over-take everyone in China).

There are a number of variables that you need to account for...Including the opposition throwing you a curve ball or a double blinder. You are up against teams who have no problem throwing up something deceptive or who may have done their homework better.

Could this be an unfortunate by product of schumacher wanting a more pointy car? They were trying all sorts last year to achieve that, but the bridgestone were far more forgiving, generally.

Pre season it was generally put about that the pirellis would wear more at the rear naturally, and oversteer lovers would like them. Have Mercedes overdone the pointiness?

Back
Top Bottom