Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

I understand it. And I forgive it. (I said in my post "Lewis is a great driver"). Lewis was in a title race but that was ended - for all intents and purposes - at Monaco/Canada.

I say the pressure of being on the limit comes from having to deal with Vettel/Button...but Hughes suggests it's the reg changes.

In my opinion Hughes is wrong and i'm right. But that's my opinion. :)

i think huges had a point.i mean lewis was the only top driver at silverstone to pull off his overtakes outside of the drs zone.the others pulled theirs off inside the drs zones.

It's an interesting point Hughes brings up.

Hamilton is known for his overtaking and has been since before he joined F1.
Now that overtaking is devalued and a lot, lot easier, he longer has that edge he had on most of the other drivers.

does that mean the Lotus 98T was the 'fastest package' at 8 of the 16 meetings?

Qualifying in 1986 is incomparable to today. Lotus always cranked their turbo way up in quali, which is why Senna often went backwards in the GP. You qualify with your race car now.

isn't it possible that some - and not all - of the Poles Vettel has gotten in 2011 is somewhat his own doing..

They're all his own doing. I don't begrudge the guy for using the equipment at his disposal. But you seem utterly incapable of acknowledging the enormous car advantage.

In your narrative of the 2011 Season, Hamilton has massively underachieved in a car that you would lead people to believe was a match for the Red Bull. It wasn't.

Conversely, you want to constantly extol Vettel for doing what should be done in that car. I'm sure you've noticed that he only pushes when it's absolutely critical. A couple of laps in Q3 and the opening stint of the race. Seb consistently under-drives the car because he's been afforded that luxury.

It's an interesting point Hughes brings up.

Hamilton is known for his overtaking and has been since before he joined F1.
Now that overtaking is devalued and a lot, lot easier, he longer has that edge he had on most of the other drivers.

I agree with you but how does that explain his mistakes?

But you seem utterly incapable of acknowledging the enormous car advantage.

In your narrative of the 2011 Season, Hamilton has massively underachieved in a car that you would lead people to believe was a match for the Red Bull. It wasn't.

Conversely, you want to constantly extol Vettel for doing what should be done in that car...

There's a car advantage. I admit it. But if it was so "enormous", then why hasn't Webber won given that he won 4 races last year and 2 the year before.

According to your thesis, RBRs should be getting a number of 1-2s when Vettel is winning...and when he's not, then Webber should be picking up the pieces!

That hasn't been the case and it's because the RB7 didn't have an "enormous advantage" at some of the circuits they went to at the time they did!

And, no, that's not my 2011 narrative. My narrative is that McLaren ought to have won more than 4 races and Hamilton needs to at least beat Button...and that's not happening. It could. It should!

Lastly, I admit Vettel lost Canada - a race he should have won. But Monaco is a different story. China he lost because Lewis was exceptional but RBR's tyre strategy played a part. Lastly you already know what I think about Italy.

So, no, it's not as black and white as you're suggesting.

Hopefully McLaren will make a relatively better package in 2012 and Lewis can win a title next year.

I think it fair to say that Lewis is having problems this year - and only he knows what they are. We can try and figure out what is going on (and argue about it for decades to come) but only he will know and that will only be in hindsight.

@ray: Because even if you have the fastest car you can still make mistakes and be worse than guys with a slower car? It's not that hard...

This may be a departure from the way this thread is going but I'm just off out for a curry and I've just finished a pint of Stella after a day of listening to people suggesting that things may be "a tough ask" and asking whether I can "speak to that" and even someone suggesting that regardless of how difficult "we can make the ask happen".

My thought is that Hamilton should concentrate on one thing only: becoming a multiple World Champion, the first Brit to do so for over 40 years. How should he do so? By modelling himself on other multiple World Champs.
The way they're managed, how they behave towards their team mates and their teams, how they interract with the public and the F1world.
He needs to do this now because at the beginning of next season there'll be one more to model on, and if he doesn't make it work for himself at McLaren he may not be the next english multiple World Champ.

Chicken Jal calling, I'll check in on my return. :goodday:

Imagine that Fender, a Hamilton thread that covers just about anything and everything. :D

My thought is that Hamilton should concentrate on one thing only: becoming a multiple World Champion, the first Brit to do so for over 40 years. How should he do so? By modelling himself on other multiple World Champs.

While it would be nice, I think Lewis has already missed his chance to model himself after Hill, Clark, or Stewart.

He's going to win his next title in typical Hamiltonian fashion and the BBC will sing his praises from the highest hilltops regardless.

This may be a departure from the way this thread is going but I'm just off out for a curry and I've just finished a pint of Stella after a day of listening to people suggesting that things may be "a tough ask" and asking whether I can "speak to that" and even someone suggesting that regardless of how difficult "we can make the ask happen".

The way they're managed, how they behave towards their team mates and their teams, how they interract with the public and the F1world.
He needs to do this now because at the beginning of next season there'll be one more to model on, and if he doesn't make it work for himself at McLaren he may not be the next english multiple World Champ.

Chicken Jal calling, I'll check in on my return. :goodday:
... ah! I remember. You've encapsulated all of the positive advice, Trouble is he's tried all of that and gets barracked regardless. As Bro' pointed out (quite some time ago but I can't recall where to find the post - or posts) he's in a "no win" situation. He's tried being open. He's tried keeping schtum. He's tried variations in between. He's been fast and feisty, careful and considered. He even killed the myth about not being able to conserve tyres by being smooth when he wanted to.

It's the "marmite problem" - some love him, some hate him. All he can really do is just drive as best he can, try to shut out the crap and leave the rest to fate. Oh, and if he can get a good one, a media go-between who knows his business might be a useful addition to his entourage.

P.S. As for his mistakes? there are plenty of guys who've stepped into F1 where it could be argued that that was their mistake. Period.

For me, IMHO, Lewis coming through the field after 2 extra stops, was the most impressive recovery so far this season

I suspect that if the race had been double the distance he would have challenged for the lead

There are lots of variables and possible reasons.

Look at Barrichello in 2009; until he got the brake pads he liked he was nowhere; after that he performed much better.

Hamilton prefers an over-steering car and getting the back end out. The new tyres don't really allow for that as they wear a lot quicker than the Bridgestones.
I suspect that has something to do with it.

No driver likes driving against their natural style.

Back
Top Bottom