Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

since he has definitely qualified lower than that on many an occasion does that mean he is incapable of winning unless he has a decent qualifying position?

Lewis has qualified on the front two rows in 97 of 138 Grands Prix. The front row on 64 occasions. Fact of the matter is that he simply hasn't had that many opportunities for legitimate charges from the 3rd row or beyond.

Just for reference, JB has put it on the two front rows 60 times from 260 GP. Alonso has 88 starts from the front two rows in his 226 races.

Apparantly the trophies were designed by the winner of a worldwide competition, it was just the Santander logo on a spring cheaply constructed, but other than that definitely the best trophy on the calendar! :whistle:

Although he also received the real trophy as well....

dpl1406jy130.jpg

Can I just say after Lewis has been repeatedly beaten over the head by FOM in the snippets of radio footage they decide to air on the TV coverage (a stick they are now deciding to hit Vettel with) it was nice to hear them air something nice he said.

"Don't worry about the pit stop guys lets just concentrate on cutting the gap"

Perfect attitude. Good lad.

The vast majority of Grands Prix are won from the front two rows, particularly in the dry.

Essentially to win from elsewhere you need to have a wet race or qualify out of position.

Not sure cocking up qualifying should confound his doubters, but it seems to get any credit in F1 you have to not have perfect weekends.

Hamilton has had enough of the latter for my taste.

I don't teabagyokel. He does need that 'something' to spur him on though!

Methinks that he can do without negative radio messages like "If you think you aren't going to do it let Nico through" when about to start the last gasp lap in Q3. Regardless of the PR speak and denials, the planting of that thought must have influenced what must have been a split second decision on Lewis's part. The fact that he came back to drive a brilliant race with an emphatic win is a testament to his character and skill.

We've seen time and again that when Lewis's is knocked or falls down he comes back fighting like a wounded bear. As others have noted above, winning from a poor grid position is pretty rare in F1. Usually, the great drive through the field has to be accompanied by attrition affecting some of the competition. Yesterday, only one car qualifying ahead of Hamilton retired (Rosberg's) and IMHO it is highly likely that Lewis would have beaten Nico in a fair fight here on his home track. It would be interesting to know the stat's for other drivers on that one.

Last edited:
With the current Mercedes performance advantage I feel that both drivers could start on the back row and still achieve a 1-2. Hamilton would have definitely caught and passed him considering the speed differential on the tyres.

I think with this years tough engine reliability rules we may just see it towards the end of the season but if everyone is taking new engines by Brazil & Abu Dhabi it will be tricky working out the actual grid order!

Indeed. In many ways this season has got some of the ingredients of a "classic F1 season" - unpredictable failures, a dominant team with it's drivers closely matched in an increasingly tense two way title fight and a couple of other teams likely to throw a spanner in the works later in the season.

Is it a Senna vs Prost scenario? We may not be getting the acrimonious side of that rivalry with Nico and Lewis but the to-and-fro battle for the points and championship lead is well and truly on again.

Can I just say after Lewis has been repeatedly beaten over the head by FOM in the snippets of radio footage they decide to air on the TV coverage (a stick they are now deciding to hit Vettel with) it was nice to hear them air something nice he said.

"Don't worry about the pit stop guys lets just concentrate on cutting the gap"

Perfect attitude. Good lad.

I thought that comment was a bit double-edged to be honest. I took it at the time to mean 'you're clearly incapable of giving me a decent pitstop so let's just focus on something else'. I am a bit cynical though.

Well 27 wins takes Hamilton level with Stewart (39 more starts however), only British driver with more is Mansell on 31. The fact that there's only 6 other drivers in F1 history with more wins than Hamilton really puts his sole Championship into perspective for me. Just Schumacher, Prost, Senna, Vettel, Alonso and Mansell to go now.

What you reckon Lewis would be happy to be known as the driver with the most wins and the least number of championships? Because I don't reckon he would..

I reckon he'd find it somewhat interesting that Senna had 26 victories before notching his second WDC. And that Prost had 25....

Lewis will have to substantially add to his total this season to collect the title though. In fact I'd say he will have to move by Mansell if he wants to be safe.

Well 27 wins takes Hamilton level with Stewart (39 more starts however), only British driver with more is Mansell on 31. The fact that there's only 6 other drivers in F1 history with more wins than Hamilton really puts his sole Championship into perspective for me. Just Schumacher, Prost, Senna, Vettel, Alonso and Mansell to go now.

You have to remember that back in days of Clark and Stewart there were 10 or fewer races per season. That pretty much renders the number of career victories meaningless in an historical context.

Back
Top Bottom