Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

I just had a quick look at some past Championships and where they stood after 8 rounds using today's scoring system.

1984 - Prost held a 45.5 point advantage in today's money.

Lauda: Ret -- P1(25) -- Ret -- Ret -- P1(25) -- Ret -- P2(18) -- Ret = 68 Points
Prost: P1(25) -- P2(18) -- R -- P1(12.5) -- P7(6) -- P1(25) -- P3(15) -- P4(12) = 113.5 Points

1984 is a pretty good comparison to 2014 as well, because McLaren cars only finished off the podium 3 times all year when they completed the race. Prost picked up 4 wins in the second half of the season but it still wasn't enough to secure the title in 1984, yet it would have done the job today, as he edges Lauda 213.5 to 209 with today's system.

2008 - Massa was 24 points clear of Hamilton, with Kubica and Raikkonen in between.

Hamilton: P1(25) -- P5(10) -- P13 -- P3(15) -- P2(18) -- P1(25) -- Ret -- P10(1) = 94 Points
Massa: Ret -- Ret -- P1(25) -- P2(18) -- P1(25) -- P3(15) -- P5(10) -- P1(25) = 118 Points
Kubica: Ret -- P2(18) -- P3(15) -- P4(12) -- P4(12) -- P2(18) -- P1(25) -- P5(10) = 110 Points
Raikkonen: P8(4) -- P1(25) -- P2(18) -- P1(25) -- P3(15) -- P9(2) -- Ret -- P2(18) = 107 Points

Obviously the 2008 title fight bears little resemblance to this years championship, but it is interesting to note the drivers respective positioning after 8 rounds. Lewis comes out on top in the end with the modern scoring system as well here, 243 to 240.

What does this mean going forward for Hamilton? Not much. Just some food for thought. :popcorn:

Certainly would have rather seen a fight to the finish, but this was clearly a dream result for Hamilton.

Am I wrong in saying this is the furthest back Lewis has ever started and achieved victory?

Correct.

upload_2014-7-6_16-46-27.png

That Santander logo trophy was truly an abomination. I'm pretty sure he whispered to Ricciardo too about what pieces of shit they were. Glad to hear they've gotten proper ones now.

The former trophy given to the winner of the British GP, was imo the nicest that is given out during the entire season. That piece of plastic :censored: was a total embarassment to the tradition of the British GP.

Apparantly the trophies were designed by the winner of a worldwide competition, it was just the Santander logo on a spring cheaply constructed, but other than that definitely the best trophy on the calendar! :whistle:

Lewis has never won outside of qualifying in the top six and until today that was the top four, since he has definitely qualified lower than that on many an occasion does that mean he is incapable of winning unless he has a decent qualifying position?

And strangely his pole to win ratio isn't that brilliant compared to some other drivers either. :thinking:

Last edited:
Apply those stats to other drivers and see that the pattern is not just for Hamilton. Very very few drivers have achieved wins in those circumstances. Apply the same again replacing wins with podiums and you will see that Hamilton is right up there with the best of them for turning an adverse qualifying on it's head.

Back
Top Bottom