Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

Quintessentially

Well Ross has had 3 years to put with Mercedes and so far has only delivered 1 win and there have been rumours that him and Norbert don't get on because Norbert after all is the one who reports to the board and has to explain why they are performing badly and the blame seems to be on the people who produce the car

Yeah I also heard Ross wants to take charge of Sunday roast but Norbert not budging on his German pudding.

Link

“The changes we have made in the last two years will be measured in 2013,” "Geoff Willis, Aldo Costa, Mike Elliott, our new head of aero. I’m very excited about Mike. He’s a really strong guy. That has to show through in 2013 and I am pretty optimistic and confident that it will.”

Quintessentially - I doubt very much that is the least of his concerns, he is a racing driver and naturally always wants the fastest machine. If it wasn't one of his major concerns, I would be very worried if I were a team boss.

Quintessentially

I'd think Lewis better put his foot down and try and find out who is steering the ship at Mercedes...reading recent reviews by Gary Anderson about Mercedes it does appear they have got too many cooks in the engineering team and also Norbert is trying to make sure Ross is towing the line to his bosses

Ross said their roles are defined

Costa - Engineering director
Bell - technical director
Willis - technology director

but the stories are there is no one making decisions and that is worrying for Lewis especially as Mercedes said they were lacking resources in reducing their team size from Honda to Brawn...but the direction was at least coming from Ross

Ferrari's success with Schumacher was down to Ross leading the racing team and Todt dealing with off track politics,..... I donlt see this at Mercedes and the lessons are not being learned about why HOnda failed

Looks like LEwis has jumped out of the frying pan into the fire potentally

The last two races Hamilton has had broken suspension parts. This has probably cost him points. He has only scored a total of 11 points in those two races.

In the last two races the Mercedes cars have had no broken suspension parts. Their total points during those races has been 0.

I still think that Hamilton is taking a big gamble.

The Mercedes didn't have car issues but wasn't Nico punted out of both those two race? That cost points. If I was a betting person choosing who will score a championship first out of McLaren or Lewis at Mercedes would not be an easy call.

So it was only one against one, not two against one. Hamilton still outscored Schumacher by 11 points.

Does it look as though the Mercedes is anywhere near the speed of the McLaren?

McLaren 284 points, Mercedes 136 points. McLaren 5 wins, Mercedes 1 win.

Its a gamble but not a particularly big one in my mind. He's going from one under-performing team to another under-performing team. He's been in F1 at McLaren for 6 seasons and it doesn't seem to be working - it doesn't seem like he and the team can perform nor are they getting any better with time. Its reasonable to think that maybe, just maybe, things can get better at Mercedes, that perhaps there'll be a better mix at Mercedes that might work in his favour. Clearly Lewis feels undervalued at McLaren and as I understand he's not the easiest to get along with - hasn't been since a few months into 2007. It may be that he'll fit in better with a slightly different set up, especially if he can take on the role, and be respected as, the saviour of the team.

The McLaren is the faster car, has had more wins and scored more points than the Metcedes, that's indisputable . but if we look to championships, has Mercedes, albeit in its former guise, not scored double the amount McLaren has in the last five years?

Back
Top Bottom