Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

Yet more speculation here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2012/09/hamilton_saga_nearing_endgame.html

At the same time, there may be a complication. There are suggestions that earlier this year Hamilton signed something with Mercedes - a letter of intent, a memorandum of understanding, perhaps - that he would need to get out of before he can commit to McLaren. His current team have heard talk of this, too.

It's interesting that it seems to be Hamilton who has a better bargaining position than McLaren, considering there is really only Mercedes he can go to.

I am in danger of sounding anti-Jenson this morning with my posts, which I am not, so please excuse me.

In Lewis' position I would want only one thing out of my contract. Forget the money. I would want the team geared around me. I would want Jenson out and a supporting driver in. I think this would be in both McLaren's and Lewis' favour in their campaign to fill up the trophy cabinet. A Jenson-Nico swap with Mercedes would be the most sensible thing McLaren could do, IMO. I don't think their current experiment has worked out and has likely cost them a couple of titles already.

I think that underestimation is one of a number of misjudgements. I don't know how to interpret your Tony Blair comment because I don't know whether you were a supporter of his or otherwise. I thought Tony Blair talked a lot of sense but that is definitely the seed of an off-topic tangent.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102848 McLaren is ready to match Mercedes' wage offer to Lewis Hamilton in a bid to further tempt the former world champion to remain at his current team.
On the back of frenzied speculation about Hamilton's future caused by Eddie Jordan's claim that he would move to Mercedes in 2013, negotiations have been ongoing between the Briton's management team, XIX Entertainment, and McLaren.
Although no deal has yet been agreed, high-level sources suggest that the wage deal on offer is no longer an issue.
McLaren is believed to be offering at least, if not more, than the approximate £11.5 million per season deal that it is understood Mercedes has put on the table.
The main issue to be debated now is whether or not the greater commercial freedom that Hamilton could have at Mercedes - because personal sponsorship deals are not as tightly controlled as they are at McLaren - is worth enough for Hamilton and XIX to consider it a better option.

Eggsactly... it has always about commercial control... there is no other logical reason to have engaged Full'o'Ship's Shop to handle your bid'ness...

And if he goes to Mercedes and they lay an egg... as long as he doesn't have a 5 or 6 year deal (my bet is a 3 year deal with some option on the third year that has some sort of get out of jail card).... then he will be 30... probably in his prime... ready for the next challenge...

The sky would have not have fallen in...

Come now Brogan... how can you get what you want in a negotation with only one party... that are known for not caving to WDC's ?

We are just seeing the use of subtle (and not so subtle) leverage 101...

Only one party? Which party would that be?
It's obvious Hamilton's agents have been in intense discussion with McLaren and Mercedes.

No different to any other F1 driver when it comes to contract negotiations.

Different to Jean Alesi's - he was contracted to 3 teams for the 1991 season - a kind of sign and we'll figure it out later policy.

Interesting news from Lewis. Hopefully put to bed the rumours about Mclaren not wanting him if they've pushed the boat out to get him. I have to say I was actually looking forward to seeing what Lewis could do in a Merc but doesn't look like its going to happen now which actually makes much more sense - of course Mclaren is the best option for Hamilton - until Red Bull or Ferrari start sniffing round its not worth thinking of leaving.

He's still being offered a reduced salary and its still less than Button is on if the rumours are correct. I dont see why he should sing and dance over that. What it says to him is, we value Button more....which he's probably figured out anyway.

Back
Top Bottom