Senna the Movie

FROM AUTOSPORT

Senna, the documentary film about the life of three-time Formula 1 world champion Ayrton Senna, won two prestigious accolades at Sunday night's BAFTA Awards in London.
The film beat Martin Scorsese's biopic of George Harrison; Living in the Material World and chimpanzee movie Project Limto take the Best Documentary award, which is voted for by members of the British Academy of Film and Television.
It also won the Best Editing prize, beating silent movie The Artist, Drive, Hugo and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
The film's screenwriter and executive producer Manish Pandey said: "We'd just really wanted to thank the Senna family for trusting us with his legacy.
"When your son dies in circumstances like that, and you get a bunch of guys who turn up and say, listen, we want to tell the story, we think we're very sensitive, we think we will absolutely tell it right... It takes a lot of guts to support people like that, and I'd like to thank them for doing that."

I forgot to say it was on Sky Sports F1 a while ago, but if you haven't already seen it,
Obviously some parts aren't in english...

In Docu-dramas/action films, we get used to a certain format, but Senna is the story tolld like it was, from archive footage...unlike TV/films/crap with sreen writers & actors.
IMHO the film...gave the facts & left you to make up your own mind.
It shows the rot that was there & the advantage that certain drivers got.
It shows dedication & passion for the sport ..... Senna gave his all. He only resorted to putting things right...his own way ...when there was blatant advantage to the wrong driver...ie the pole position on the wrong side of the track etc.
Bloody Brilliant...

Not denying there was some truth in the film F1ang-o although I thought it was biased and set Prost up as "the villain" when there was good and bad on both sides. I've also mentioned before on here there was no need for the scenes of Ratzenburger being given heart massage and when it came to the end of the film and Senna's crash I left the room. I watched the whole thing unfold, live, in front of my eyes in 1994 and I really didn't want to see any of it again. Some may enjoy watching people dying, I don't.

Yes there were some interesting parts but taking the movie as a whole I didn't like it. Vive la difference, eh?

FB I don't like seeing people die....the families must have given their permission for the footage to be shown.
Senna had Ratzenburger's flag in his car during the race, he wanted to win for him.
I watched it ln 1994 too & really didn't want to watch anymore F1 after Senna died.
Like most people I didn't like Balestre, his fellow countryman Prost got better treatment than Senna did from FIA decisions.

Depends on how you see it. I think they used the seldom brutality of the sport excellently, but I guess others might say they were just doing it for shock value. The dangers of F1 play a massive part in Senna's story in more ways than one, so the nasty scenes weren't out of place.

You may be right EW. Perhaps as an F1 fan for so long I'm too aware of the dangers of the sport and don't need it played out in technicolour just to remind me. Maybe those watching the film who have only watched F1 since 94 don't fully understand. I deliberately didn't go to the cinema to see the film as I knew it would be upsetting, my son bought the DVD as he thought I would like to see it. He wasn't too happy when I walked out but then he wasn't to know was he?

F1ang-o - I wasn't suggesting you liked watching people die and I hope that wasn't what you thought I was suggesting :friends:

You may be right EW. Perhaps as an F1 fan for so long I'm too aware of the dangers of the sport and don't need it played out in technicolour just to remind me. Maybe those watching the film who have only watched F1 since 94 don't fully understand. I deliberately didn't go to the cinema to see the film as I knew it would be upsetting, my son bought the DVD as he thought I would like to see it. He wasn't too happy when I walked out but then he wasn't to know was he?

F1ang-o - I wasn't suggesting you liked watching people die and I hope that wasn't what you thought I was suggesting :friends:

Perfectly understandable, of course.

Sometimes I think the poeple making the film have to show a kind of dispassion with telling the story to it's fullest being their motive.

Back
Top Bottom