Current Sebastian Vettel

Lots of threads have alluded to having a discussion about the current world champion so lets get it all off our collective chests (oooeer!)

Lots has been has been written about this young man from his testing debut with BMW Sauber in 2006 aged just 19 - he then progressed to the the toro rosso team for his first full race season in 2008 - the memorable race being his drive in the wet at Fuji where he managed to rear end his future team mate Mark Webber who said ""It's kids isn't it... kids with not enough experience – they do a good job and then they :censored: **** it all up." - Little was Mark to know he would be paired with the "Kid" just 2 years later.

His maiden win came at the 2008 Italian GP where he qualified up from, the race started under the safety car in the rain and the young German led from start to finish in the Toro Rosso - becoming the youngest winner of a grand prix ever.

Then we enter the era of the Red Bull. In 2009 he joined the Red Bull team, which got off to a torrid start as he managed to crash into Kubika in Australia, a feat he would go on to repeat during the 09 season.

Last year needs no mention........

So to the crux of the matter. Is Sebastian Vettel?

the real deal, the baby schumi, the new pretender - a genuine racer? - aka Wunderkind

or

A very quick driver, who lucked into a very fast car and can bang it on pole and lead from lights to flag and be the quickest pilot of a car, yet can't overtake for toffee? aka WunOrAother

035336-pn-image-sport-sebastian-vettel.jpg

Reading that tweet it fails to take into account that there are only a fraction of drivers on the grid who have actually won races.

Added to that, Vettel has won 53 races which is more than the total of every other driver on the grid combined with the exception of Hamilton.

So who else was he expecting Ferrari to sign?

They don't think they just look at their 'stats no one cares about' book and try and write a story around it.

At least we don't have to put up with the "if Max gets Pole today he'll be the youngest driver to ever do this" ****ing tweets and comments anymore. About 4 years of that crap and literally no one gave a shit.

i would think alex was referring to maybe huge switch in mentality. ferrari going for youth & potential is seismic. but this is the team that not that long ago in 2014. had the choice of promising 24yr perez & Bianchi, 27yr hulkenberg or 26yr grosjean. & they went for 35? yr old Kimi. the safe option

F1Brits_90, certainly the option was the least likely to upset their show pony driver.

These days they have so few options they have to take what they can.

I don't feel this is a seismic shift for Ferrari, more like the best of what was left on the shelf.

I'm pretty certain that Sainz will be an insurance policy incase the young star they've pinned their flag on doesn't end up being the sensation they thought he would be (a bit like bringing in Berger to back up for Alesi). Also sure that if LeClerc turns out to the superstar they think he is that Carlos is going to get the full Barrichello/Massa/Mansell Ferrari experience.

Does most likely bring Santander back to Ferrari though.

Why would Seb leave Ferrari because his nose was put out of joint by LeClerc to go to Mclaren where it will get bloodied by Lando Norris?

I think he believes he still has something to prove. Not sure if Lando would offer up the same challenge as Charles either. I may be very wrong.

I think Norris is on a par with LeClerc and is already established at Mclaren. Think it has the potential to be a disaster for Seb.

this is his statement in full which a few lines make you think :thinking:

"My relationship with Scuderia Ferrari will finish at the end of 2020, In order to get the best possible results in this sport, it’s vital for all parties to work in perfect harmony.

“The team & I have realised that there is no longer a common desire to stay together beyond the end of this season. Financial matters have played no part in this joint decision. That’s not the way I think when it comes to making certain choices & it never will be.

“What’s been happening in these past few months has led many of us to reflect on what are our real priorities in life. One needs to use one’s imagination & to adopt a new approach to a situation that has changed. I myself will take the time I need to reflect on what really matters when it comes to my future.

“Scuderia Ferrari occupies a special place in F1 & I hope it gets all the success it deserves. Finally, I want to thank the whole Ferrari family & above all its “tifosi” all around the world, for the support they have given me over the years. My immediate goal is to finish my long stint with Ferrari, in the hope of sharing some more beautiful moments together, to add to all those we have enjoyed so far."

i think for Vettel ive either he stays at "competitive" team or he retires. because we all know hope deep down Riccardo hates fighting for 10th. waiting games can kill a drivers spirit. its 1 of reasons why alonso had to leave because of the 8 seasons of Ferrari & McLaren "next year we'll be end of suffering" he might go pin hopes on leveller field on 2022. what happens if McLaren or Renault arent challenging in 2022

would Vettel allow himself that. then where does Vettel go. Mercedes as Lewis teammate is dangerous. Red bull as verstappen teammate is suicidal. Renault is closed + have 2 of best drivers out top 3 teams. McLaren is good but Lando Norris is quality. Force India Racing point Aston martin (delete as applicable) is a punt they could be best of rest or even upset the apple cart in 2022. always build well & think how dangerous they could be now they have money to spend. & forget the rest its too far down

but from the end of 2nd paragraph to the whole of the 3rd. i think he might leave F1 which would be sad to lose 1 of the massive names. but he's been there for 13yrs, got 4 world titles & he's got a young family maybe the lockdown realised he doesnt want to be Away from them for them long periods anymore & would he still spending all that time away for 7th place. who knows might do different motorsport id mention DTM but thats basically dead. but WEC he might go for (if rumours are correct) ferrari want to join the main hypercar class. they might want a quality high profile experience driver to head the team that would only have 8 trips from September -June

Last edited:
Has anyone thought about that Vettel might even complete the season when it starts given there will be the following questions when he performs badly if he does not reach the podium

i) His heart is not in anymore
ii) He is leaving the team anyway so he will stick to two fingers up to Maranello
iii) He clearly is on the wane and should retire

I still there will be a 2020 season because the money involved although shorter

With Seb's options he can see how the other teams perform but

Mercedes - apparently don't want him and he is not first choice because Toto has been planning Ocon for ages now and then Verstappen has been ringing him enquiring. The younger drivers are the future for Merc plus they have Russell as well and Toto will want both Ocon and Russell in the cars if Bottas does not improve this season.

Red Bull - That can only happen if Verstappen goes but they have always promoted young drivers to step up so it would be against their nature

Mclaren - The old Mclaren pre Zac Brown might have considered Seb because he is a world champion to attract sponsors but the modern Mclaren appears to have a different ethos and not sure they want to be shelling out for Seb and get themselves in the same scenario as they did with Alonso. However it might please Mercedes the engine partner

Renault - they have not made enough progress which will put Seb off

So Vettel wanted a big pay check to match what he has received over the past few years and based on results, specifically 2019, Ferrari said GTFO!

yes the conversation would've been, how can you have the cheek to come & ask for same salary when a guy on 1/3rd of it. just hammered you last season in his 2nd season. if im being super critical about vettel Ferrari career, he started well & then had 3 goes at the world championship, bottled it the 1st 2 years & then wasn't good enough the 3rd

Back
Top Bottom