Current Sebastian Vettel

Lots of threads have alluded to having a discussion about the current world champion so lets get it all off our collective chests (oooeer!)

Lots has been has been written about this young man from his testing debut with BMW Sauber in 2006 aged just 19 - he then progressed to the the toro rosso team for his first full race season in 2008 - the memorable race being his drive in the wet at Fuji where he managed to rear end his future team mate Mark Webber who said ""It's kids isn't it... kids with not enough experience – they do a good job and then they :censored: fuck it all up." - Little was Mark to know he would be paired with the "Kid" just 2 years later.

His maiden win came at the 2008 Italian GP where he qualified up from, the race started under the safety car in the rain and the young German led from start to finish in the Toro Rosso - becoming the youngest winner of a grand prix ever.

Then we enter the era of the Red Bull. In 2009 he joined the Red Bull team, which got off to a torrid start as he managed to crash into Kubika in Australia, a feat he would go on to repeat during the 09 season.

Last year needs no mention........

So to the crux of the matter. Is Sebastian Vettel?

the real deal, the baby schumi, the new pretender - a genuine racer? - aka Wunderkind

or

A very quick driver, who lucked into a very fast car and can bang it on pole and lead from lights to flag and be the quickest pilot of a car, yet can't overtake for toffee? aka WunOrAother

035336-pn-image-sport-sebastian-vettel.jpg

The problem with Vettel is, despite starting in a Toro Rosso, he was elevated to fame very early on....... for all the wrong reasons, he clouted Alonso at Fuji trying to get past, and I'm sure we remember that incident with Webber where he was clouted by Vettel under safety car conditions, while they were second and third in the race, for many people the reputation of a poor overtaker started there...

I thought Vettel was exonerated for the Webber hit at Fuji in 2007 after the FIA looked at a spectator's personal/Youtube video footage of race leader Hamilton breaking inconsistently behind the Safety Car? The visability was atrocious and Vettel was, I thought, absolved of any wrong-doing while, simultaneously, Hamilton was given a suspended punishment of sorts. Or has my memory failed me?

What was impressive about Fuji 2007 was Vettel actually getting his Toro Rosso up into 3rd in the first place!

While that was the case, you shouldn't be doing that anyway, Webber didn't crash into Hamilton, and everyone else managed to get around the circuit without any difficulties.

It has failed you.
He received no punishment at all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7029797.stm

:)

Thanks. It did fail me!

My bad. ;)

While that was the case, you shouldn't be doing that anyway, Webber didn't crash into Hamilton, and everyone else managed to get around the circuit without any difficulties.

True. Webber did, however, criticise Hamilton according to that link. I suppose Webber would criticize them both as he was the guy in the middle who had no control over what either was doing.

EVERY SINGLE DRIVER bunches up the field on a restart. Not exactly a new phenomenon. Remember China where several drivers had to leave the track to avoid a collision when Seb came to a crawl in the hairpin.

Fair enough.

Webber/Vettel collision did not happen on the lap where SC was supposed to come in. It was lap 46 and SC came in on lap 48 I think, at least that's what StatsF1 lap chart says.

Webber completed 45 laps and Vettel 46 since the German was able to bring his car to the pit lane following the crash. The crash took place in the final left-hand corner of the circuit.

Indeed, and the source of the criticism of Hamilton was due to him running wide to the right of, and as far as he could out of the spray of, the safety car so that he could see where he was going. He was not deemed to have been running too far back from the safety or slower than the safety car. Hence no sanction from FIA officials. I've only got this on good old fashioned video tape but if i can find it on U Tube or somewhere, I'll post a link. TBY or FB will probably get there before me though!:)

I thought Vettel was exonerated for the Webber hit at Fuji in 2007 after the FIA looked at a spectator's personal/Youtube video footage of race leader Hamilton breaking inconsistently behind the Safety Car? The visability was atrocious and Vettel was, I thought, absolved of any wrong-doing while, simultaneously, Hamilton was given a suspended punishment of sorts. Or has my memory failed me?

What was impressive about Fuji 2007 was Vettel actually getting his Toro Rosso up into 3rd in the first place!

That incident at Fuji in 07', whereas the thought that Lewis was to be blamed and responsible for Vettel running into the back of Webber, shows clearly the double standard that Hamilton has had to operate, right from the start of his rookie year in F1.

More outrage was to follow at Spa in.....2008!!

Indeed, and the source of the criticism of Hamilton was due to him running wide to the right of, and as far as he could out of the spray of, the safety car so that he could see where he was going. He was not deemed to have been running too far back from the safety or slower than the safety car. Hence no sanction from FIA officials. I've only got this on good old fashioned video tape but if i can find it on U Tube or somewhere, I'll post a link. TBY or FB will probably get there before me though!:)

The source of the criticism of Hamilton's driving didn't come from Webber, who was right behind Lewis at the time and didn't complain, but it seems as though Mark's focus was on someone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvL20cuGY2I&feature=related

The source of the criticism of Hamilton's driving didn't come from Webber, who was right behind Lewis at the time and didn't complain, but it seems as though Mark's focus was on someone else.
Not sure why you quoted me in making your reply as i've said nought about Mark, so a bit bemused.

Back
Top Bottom