Romain Grosjean

Was drafted into F1 with not an ounce of testing and replaced Nelson Piquet Jr in the middle of 2009 when he was possibly on route to becoming the GP2 Champion that season, which went to Nico Hulkenburg.

In his 7 races in F1 he failed to impress and the no in-season testing rule didn't help his course. Plus having Fernando Alonso as his teammate couldn't have helped either.

In 2010 Grosjean went to do Auto GP, before returning back to GP2 on July 20th for a few guess appearances for DAM'S. But in 2011 Grosjean was given a full-time drive by DAM'S for the 2011 GP2 series and went on to become the 2011 GP2 Champion.

My question is will Grosjean get a drive for 2012? Plus how far can this guy go if he gets into F1?

Romain was caught out in Q3 today, I'm not really sure how/why but he only had one run and up until that point had been ahead of Kimi. Despite that, he only qualified a couple of places behind Raikkonen and he has a free choice of tyres so let's see what he can do in the race tomorrow.

The chassie obviously did make the difference be it in his head or on the track. Good drive from RoGro today and he sounded very pleased about it.

Once again some very sensible driving in close quarters.

Grosjean deserves a lot of praise for his drive today, and for his performances so far this season despite being outperformed by Kimi by some margin so far I think. Last season after the Spa incident his confidence was in tatters and he was just getting in to clumsy accident after clumsy accident. He's come back this season, kept his nose clean in some tight battles to score points at every race and having changed his chassis he seems to be back on similar pace to Kimi.

Making a change like he seems to have done is easier said than done.

What caused RG's suspension to eff up today?? The folk on Sky seemed to think that he'd whacked Sutil, but no replays of any incidents involving the two were ever shown. Also, he appears to have become a lot more cautious at starts nowadays, causing him to lose positions a lot initially. With RG having got only 26 points thus far to his teammate's 85,i think Lotus will be looking for a replacement sooner or later.

According to Jordan, RoGro is on a 3 race contract and as this is the sixth race he may not make it to Canada!

I normally don't listen to the owl (Jordan), but he does sometimes seem reliable at times, but judging by what Ted was saying, it seems as if Bouillier is giving him one last chance.

Lotus probably couldn't find a faster driver, but I'm sure they could find a more trustworthy pair of hands. RoGro is clearly lacking in the mental aspect of Grand Prix racing.

Lotus probably couldn't find a faster driver, but I'm sure they could find a more trustworthy pair of hands.

I'm not so sure. Grosjean has shown an appalling lack of pace this year, never once managing to outqualify Kimi thus far and beating him only once in races. I feel he should be replaced immediately. The guy doesnt deserve to be in F1.

Well, he scored points in every race up until the last two with Spain being out of control. He was not happy with his chassis for the first few races of the season and has been much closer to Kimi since it was changed and I suspect he would have out qualified Kimi in Monaco had it been completely dry. Qualifying where he did meant he had to take risks.

Grosjean's practise session accident at Ste Devote is, to me, final confirmation of something I've suspected (and commented on already) for some time. I believe he suffers from a lack of innate spatial awareness and an inability to "read the road". He does not intuitively know the space that he and his car occupies and does not seem to take in and process his surroundings.

Many of his crashes leading up to and including that notorious Spa start were symptomatic in that he did not appear to have the sense of his own "space" and a mind map of his surroundings. He is still very quick when out on his own but he really struggles in traffic. Ever since his ban and subsequent probation following Spa, he has been noticeably slower when other cars are around him and he appears to look around and check his mirrors more often than should be necessary.

In the practlce incident where he seemed surprised by Hamilton leaving the pits the commentators noted his being distracted. So much so that Ant Davidson specifically pointed that out in his Sky Pad" piece and that Romain was looking in his mirror and lost concentration. Which indeed he did, just when he should have been concentrating on his braking and trajectory to and through Ste Devote That was almost bizarre and shows not only a lack of instinctive spatial awareness but very poor concentration, to boot.

Any good racing driver plans two or three corners in advance and their surroundings and changing conditions are mentally processed and reacted to largely on a subconscious and intuitive level. Indeed, we often see footage of drivers mentally driving a circuit whilst sitting in their car in the garage, in effect programming the circuit into their memory. When on track, he/she will use their ability to remember what happens around them as they progress in and through the field. This mind map of their situation will be a fluid processing of not only where they are going, but also the likely trajectories of the other traffic around them. They will be reading what is happening in the distance as well as what is directly ahead of them. There is insufficient time to process all of that information on a conscious level so it is done on a subconscious one. A natural and innate capacity to carry out these mental processes is vital in the decision making with regard to where one can position oneself and one's vehicle in rapidly changing circumstances.

Psychologists have been arguing about and wrestling with all of this for donkeys years and are no nearer to reaching a consensus today than they were in the days of Freud and Jung. With modern technology such as encephalography they are able to map the brain and identify which parts are doing what but they are no nearer to understanding how. So, as yet there appears to be no cure for spatial awareness problems. The issues can only be mitigated against by trying to educate individuals to "be more careful" or to take more time to look more often and for longer periods of time in order to digest visual information. Such education is insufficient to remedy a deficit in a racing driver's psychological armoury since it is replacing the brains natural ability to process information subconsiously with very much slower conscious mental action.

I dare say some folk's reading this will think I'm talking a load of BS. However, one can see every day life examples of what I've been talking about by observing the behaviour of ordinary folk driving on the highway. Drivers with very good spacial awareness and subconsious planning abilities, etc. will appear to "float" through the traffic. The "body language" of their vehicles will be calm with no sudden movements such as heavy braking and swerving. They will be the folk's effortlessly creating lots of space for themselves, changing lanes gracefully in good time and not getting themselves "boxed in" by leaving it too late. On the other hand, those with deficits will drive - usually fixated on the vehicle directly ahead of them - failing to "see" what is happening ahead or around them. At worst their decision making will be erratic and sudden. They will speed up to a vehicle ahead and, if they're not boxed in, change lanes suddenly, often with a swerve. If there is a traffic jam in the distance or a problem in the lane that they are in, they will only react when they reach it often by braking suddenly at the last moment. Their car body language will reflect all this by often looking "out of shape". The car will be drifting about as the driver's deciding what to do, diving on braking, pitching and rolling as it changes direction.

So back to Romain. Drivers are human, individual and therefore different with huge variety in capacity and behaviour, some worse and others better. A lot of behaviour can be learned and taught but a lot including actual capacity has to be innate. To me the term "natural talent" is a reference to the innate, in-built mental capacity of someone to be good at that particular task. In that context I believe Grosjean doesn't have enough of it and, barring a new scientific discovery for brain enhancement, I don't think he should stay in F1.

Sorry Romain.

Oh, and please remember that doesn't mean I think you are a bad person just that you're in the wrong job.

He's not actually blaming Ricciardo, I think that's more so the Autosport headlines, here's what he said:

Grosjean said: "I was following him for 61 laps and he was really struggling with his rear tyres with a lot of graining and no more grip.

"I was close in the tunnel and got caught out by the fact that he was braking early in the middle of the track."

He says he was caught out more than anything else.

I guess following the same car for 61 laps is a good reason for him to be fixated with Ricciardo's rear end. That's a pity, otherwise he might have computed what Ricciardo was about to do before he did it.:rolleyes: Another of those symptoms, I'm afraid.

Romain is not the first driver to have a bad weekend at Monaco, and not the only driver to have a bad weekend this year (Massa anyone?) Up until Monaco he had kept his nose clean (including making some overtakes) and after struggling for the first few races he has been much closer to Kimi again. Hopefully Monaco was just a blip, the next few races are vital for him to prove it was though.

Back
Top Bottom