Poll Out of Ten - 2014 Monaco Grand Prix

2014 Monaco Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
A 7 ... for the race at the front until the "sand in my eye" moment ... and then DR's chase down of LH ... Kimi for his great start ... puncture and then hauling ass through the field ... some nice overtaking down the order and the essential Sutil ping pong out of the tunnel ... another impressive Alonso drive ... Massa for his recovery ... and the mighty Jules Bianchi ... :goodday: and Sunday topped off with the Indy 500 ...

Last edited:
Not the most exciting race this season but some nice cheeky overtaking moves in unexpected places and some reasonably tense last lasps thanks to Dan breathing down Lewis's back & some fights down the pack.
Very happy for Marussia's first points - definitely the highlight of the weekend :thumbsup:
Weekend slightly marred by the over-emphasis of Nico's moment in quali. Stuff happens & whether intended or not if the other drivers had put in better laps to start with....
I usually enjoy Canada more so I'm hopeful for a higher score in the next race.

I don't get why people were so excited about Dan closing the gap to Lewis. There was no way he was getting past. Its Monaco.

Through most of the race LH was around a second from NR and he had not 1 single look at an overtake. DR was 1.5 seconds a lap faster than LH and he also had zero looks at an overtake.

9 overtakes in a 110 minute race of which I think we saw 3 or 4. It was a procession.
Its always the same around Monaco. Very little racing.

The majority of the overtakes came from Sutil being out of position early on and overtaking the slow teams and Kobayashi being slow and dropping back. If not for those two drivers we would have only had 2 overtakes. Not the worst Monaco, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a 0 posted one year.

I don't get why people were so excited about Dan closing the gap to Lewis. There was no way he was getting past. Its Monaco.

Through most of the race LH was around a second from NR and he had not 1 single look at an overtake. DR was 1.5 seconds a lap faster than LH and he also had zero looks at an overtake.

9 overtakes in a 110 minute race of which I think we saw 3 or 4. It was a procession.
Its always the same around Monaco. Very little racing.

Yep, feel the same. Back in 2012 we had the top 6 only separated by 6 seconds, that was after the first and last pitstop and ended at the finish. Some people find that interesting, i guess.

Bushi Greenlantern101 - we saw a lot of drivers make mistakes which led to others getting past and if you look at nearly all of them you'll find it was in a situation where they were either being closely followed by someone else or were attempting to catch someone else. Thats the nature of Monaco and in fact F1.

Whilst being late on the brakes and diving up the inside is the glamour side of racing the real meat and potatos is pressuring another driver into an error in order to take advantage of it. I find it quite exciting to watch to see if a driver out front can withstand the pressure or even whether the driver behind has the skill to apply the pressure. Thats racing.

I never heard anyone say 'the last few laps of the San Marino Grand Prix in 2005 was boring. Alonso was ahead of Schumacher to start with and thats where he finished'

I agree RasputinLives some people are so focused on overtaking and that being their only measure of a successful race. If there are tussles, excellent pressure, intelligent drives and drama at a race then I am sure you have just watched a 'good 'un'. Senna's defense in Monaco in '92 was fantastic as he withstood the pressure from Mansell.

RasputinLives The thing about Monaco is that the front runners rarely make a mistake, in fact in the last 10 years the guy on pole has won 9 out of 10, while in 2008 it probably was the rain that mixed things up.

If the guy in front keeps his head, than there is not a chance the chasing car can't get past. Just look at 2011 where Vettel stayed ahead on worn out rubber, while Alonso and Button where 2sec. faster than him on fresher rubber.

The move that Hulkenberg did was marvelous and by Monaco standard this year was Ok'ish.

Wasn't it the Red flag and more specifically that ability for the teams to change their tyres on the grid?

YES BIANCHI YES 10/10

Sorry I'm late to the party, I just finished watching the race :D think it's time to change my avatar.

But yeah, it was a pretty entertaining race, some neat moves and tension all the way through.

Back
Top Bottom