Poll Out of ten - 2012 United States Grand Prix

2012 United States Grad Prix out of ten

• Total voters
Hang on, so people want less mechanical grip now?

That's quite a departure from all the arguments over the past 10-20 years which have been for more grip and less aero.

As for "the cliff", simply change the tyres a lap or two earlier and it isn't an issue.

(Possibly a discussion for a new thread.)

Brogan, I've always thought that harder tyres and less mechanical grip were a good idea. More for the drivers to think about, far fewer marbles giving more options for taking different lines, more chance for the drivers to just get on and race each other rather than conducting 90 minute long exercises in tyre management, etc. etc.

I totally agree with Chad Stewarthill and have advocated harder tyres for a long time. The shortage of marbles makes for drivers to take chances on using a different line to gain an advantage when attempting overtaking. Now all we need to do is get rid of those wings.

I don't think it is less mechanical grip that people necessarily want. I would suggest that people want drivers to be able to race flat out and for the pace of the racing to be dictated by the limits of adhesion of the tyres rather than the endurance of the tyres. I mentioned somewhere yesterday that it felt to me like the drivers were unleashed this weekend. I can't agree more on the marbles. They really do mess up the opportunities for racing as they build up.

Record numbers of marbles have coincided with record numbers of overtakes. I think the connection is massively overstated.

As for what people want, this person wants the endurance of the tyres to be a factor - I have a long memory.

Yep, But a hell of a lot of those overtakes are down to excessive tyre degradation which is indirectly linked to the marbles but not resultant of. I do still want endurance of tyres to be a factor, but no more than they were this weekend. I would prefer to see a more linear drop off and with the tyres this year it has often been the case that drivers have been unable to drive as quickly as they otherwise would. I like to see drivers on the limit of their own raw pace rather than tip-toe-ing a tight rope defined by the narrow operating window of the tyres.

Then again, there has been great racing in each circumstance and I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I would probably be saying the opposite after a year of tyres designed for "performance over endurance", as Brundle put it. (...or endurance over performance. Not quite sure which. I've tangled myself up).

Back
Top Bottom