Nico Rosberg

Nico Erik Rosberg, son of Keijo "Keke" Erik Rosberg, is about to have his 100th Grand Prix meeting this weekend in Hungary.

I was about to write my "best wishes" to him in 'his' thread...but I couldn't find one...so, I figured I might as well start it off.

What is very interesting is that his father, Keke, took part in 114 Grand Prix races in his entire Formula One career, winning 5 of them - all for Williams from 1982 to 1985 - as well as a World Championship.

It's interesting in that Nico is approaching that number quickly and he's already about to finish off his 6th season in a few months...but without a win to his name...and no win in sight given the current pecking order of the cars.

Some say Nico is a great talent...while others say he hasn't fared well against quality teammates in their prime, so it's hard to judge. Mark Webber is, seemingly, his only reasonable benchmark and that was way back in his rookie season in a car that was one of the worst ones ever constructed by Williams.

What are people's thoughts on Nico Rosberg?

Regardless, Godspeed to Nico on the occassion of his 100th Grand Prix this weekend! :)

I was unaware that drivers who were in a lower engine setting were obliged to move aside and let people through.

Unless they are, the engine mode cannot be used to apportion blame for the collision.

They're certainly not entitled to drive like they own the entire width of the circuit!

My entire contention, and that of countless current/former drivers is that with Hamilton approaching at such a rapid clip (caused by harvesting) Rosbergs move was a dirty blocking maneuver that could have only delivered one outcome. Double Retirement.

So Rosberg wasn't not paying attention and fiddling with his steering wheel then? ;)

rufus_mcdufus The engine mode is a red herring yes because the accident was one driver taking a chance on a gap he saw and another driver taking a chance on closing the door. Why the driver behind was able to carry so much more speed than the other is actually irrelevant to the incident. One driver being in energy saving mode whilst the driver behind Isn't probably happens dozens of times per grand Prix. I can't see how it's possible that it doesn't.

I personally think both drivers had the right to take the moves they did and 95% of the time it would not have ended the way it did.

As we've seen across about half a dozen threads now other people have a different view on things and brandish phrases like 'dirty' or 'dangerous' around to try and hit their point home. I just think making out Rosbergs car was somehow 'crippled' is a bit of a falsehood.

Last edited:
What money Lewis thinks twice about trying to stick the car down the inside of Nico in the future though?

Even when Mark Webber was learning to fly by overtaking Kovalainen in a slow Lotus, racing for position, almost nobody was suggesting that Kovalainen should have simply moved over. Most agreed that Kovalainen was a bit overenthusiastic in his defence, but that he had the right. I guess the speed difference between Rosberg and Hamilton was a lot less than that between Kovalainen and Webber.

They're certainly not entitled to drive like they own the entire width of the circuit!

My entire contention, and that of countless current/former drivers is that with Hamilton approaching at such a rapid clip (caused by harvesting) Rosbergs move was a dirty blocking maneuver that could have only delivered one outcome. Double Retirement.

Especially when Nico knew that he had lost some power and speed, but still closed the door

Why have there been no objections to the way Alonso and Button have been driving this year and even more so last year?

They both regularly avoid being overtaken at the end of straights when they have run out of recoverable energy? They make the car as wide as possible and manage to ward off much more rapid drivers.

Hamilton knew that Rosberg was going to be driving much slower than he but would still most likely to close the door.

The situation between Rosberg and Hamilton and peoples opinions regarding fault is really quite simple. There was fault on both sides, Rosberg was aggressive, Hamilton could have backed off, if your a Rosberg fan Lewis made a way too aggressive move, If your a Hamilton fan Rosberg's block was reckless. Take your pick, it depends on which driver you like/dislike.

Tby and Putin. You both seem to continually suggest that Rosberg was fully entitled to make any move necessary in order to keep Hamilton behind. I find this stance incomprehensible considering the basic facts of the incident.

This discussion was over. Then Putin had to claim that the massive closing speed compounded by Nico starting the race in full harvest was a "red herring", which is asinine.

Internally, Merc was dismayed that Rosberg failed to switch off harvest before the race start. But they're in no position to criticize the likely WDC right now. A look at the engine component table shows you that Lewis' chances are already slim to none. Plus they're in contract negotiations.

And I'm still waiting to be shown a single similar incident in which the blocking driver wasn't roundly criticized.

.... Tby.... Then Putin had to claim that the massive closing speed compounded by Nico starting the race in full harvest was a "red herring", which is asinine......

KekeTheKing they are not the only the only people who have said this. It may not be to your liking but that does not make it, or us or our statements, "asinine"

I think that you should apologise, we are entitled to our point of view.

KekeTheKing my post was actually in response to someone else discussing it on here and was a discussion I was keen to hear other people's view on.

However I still think you're confused about my point (I can't speak for TBY we are independent people with independent views and we Don't sit around in a discussion groups before we post). I am not saying Rosberg was entitled to do anything he liked. I'm saying he was entitled to defend his position. There are dozens of posts (should I say countless to make it seem more dramatic?) where I have said both drivers were entitled to take the actions they took even if both were a little drastic. Understandable seeing what they were both racing for. As you're a reasonable human being I'm sure you must have missed that and just misunderstood as I'm sure you would't have deliberately twisted what I've been saying to make your own point.

I must also pick up on 'countless former drivers have agreed' some have. There are also a fair few that have said differently. Countless actually.

Also

And I'm still waiting to be shown a single similar incident in which the blocking driver wasn't roundly criticized.

Firstly I think you are mixing up the word defending and blocking. Secondly you could just look at your own posts when Hamilton crowded Rosberg out at the start at the US last year. Seems to fit the bill for me.

One last thing (it's long I know. Did you bother reading it all everyone or just skim?) I'm going to assume that referring to me as Putin is a jokey nickname and in no way meant as insult. I would be careful though cider_and_toast has already warned you about personal insults on here and I'd hate for such a long term poster to get in trouble with the mods.

I'm afraid KekeTheKing everyone is going to have different opinion on things and you can't make them think what you think. But hey that's why we love F1 right?

KekeTheKing - So you are not allowed to defend if you're in a different engine mode to the car behind?

You can defend. But you shouldn't be allowed to swerve and take somebody off just because you're going to lose a position on account of your own error.

And Raspy, if your only example is Austin (which you already mentioned) then the two incidents couldn't possibly be more different and there's literally no grounds for comparison.

Look, I was satisfied with letting Martin Brundle, David Hobbs, Anthony Davidson, David Coulthard, Allan McNish, Jacques Villeneuve, Rubens Barrichello, and Paul Belmondo have the final word but your insistence on claiming that the speed deficit Rosberg found himself in is irrelevant to how he defended is completely ludicrous.

See let me break it down for you and TBY. If two cars are going roughly the same speed then you are entitled to a bit more aggression when defending/blocking. Both drivers have a chance to react in that situation. If, like in Barca, a car is closing on you at an exaggerated pace, due to an error, then (historically) you are not allowed such a robust defense as the likelihood of a collision is severely elevated.

You can defend. But you shouldn't be allowed to swerve and take somebody off just because you're going to lose a position on account of your own error.

So are you saying that you're allowed to swerve and take someone off if you're going at a similar speed?

Not necessarily. In a normal situation Nico could have swerved/blocked/defended as he did and then Lewis would have switched back and gone to the other side. As it was in reality, Hamilton was fully committed to an open piece of track with a massive speed advantage and Rosberg's move was dirty because he knew he was down on power and that Lewis was coming up on the right.

At that closing speed, Hamiton had only one chance. He went for an opening that was subsequently closed much too late. Fairly obvious where the lions share of the blame lies.

Back
Top Bottom