Nico Rosberg

Nico Erik Rosberg, son of Keijo "Keke" Erik Rosberg, is about to have his 100th Grand Prix meeting this weekend in Hungary.

I was about to write my "best wishes" to him in 'his' thread...but I couldn't find one...so, I figured I might as well start it off.

What is very interesting is that his father, Keke, took part in 114 Grand Prix races in his entire Formula One career, winning 5 of them - all for Williams from 1982 to 1985 - as well as a World Championship.

It's interesting in that Nico is approaching that number quickly and he's already about to finish off his 6th season in a few months...but without a win to his name...and no win in sight given the current pecking order of the cars.

Some say Nico is a great talent...while others say he hasn't fared well against quality teammates in their prime, so it's hard to judge. Mark Webber is, seemingly, his only reasonable benchmark and that was way back in his rookie season in a car that was one of the worst ones ever constructed by Williams.

What are people's thoughts on Nico Rosberg?

Regardless, Godspeed to Nico on the occassion of his 100th Grand Prix this weekend! :)

From what I have read on Wikipedia, Rosberg finished 8th. Anyway they were still able to refuel the cars in '09 which might suggest that he had a lot of fuel on-board because the team did not foresee the rain coming.

I had high expectations of Rosberg as he joined F1 and he showcased his talent in a number of races but near the end of 2011 and 2012 as Schumacher eventually got to grips with the car, he was struggling to beat him on a consistently and Schumacher was almost 20 years older.
In my opinion he did well against Hamilton last year but again struggled at the end of the season but Hamilton rarely outperformed him. I must add Hamilton has not lived up to my expectations either. He has had one very consistent season and that was in 2007, as a rookie but since then has never managed to get back onto that level to perform like Alonso and Vettel do.
Anyhow, I'll stop here before I drift off topic. :D

I'd say Rosberg and Hamilton are average top drivers if there is such thing, if not, I've just created a class for them. xD

Last edited:
Oh Plutus I admire your bravery on the LH front.

Ok it was 8th in Malaysia so my bad! I think my point remains though and as they all fueled when coming in to change to wets I can't see how it can be that but you never know.

Also, the brawn was dominant that day- the only reason Rosberg had a 19 second lead was because Button stopped the lap before him, and was a LOT quicker on his out lap!

The Artist..... I'll have to go back and watch it but my memory is that he was about 10 seconds clear off the start and the Brawns were being held up and the Williams (which also had the double diffusor) had been quick all weekend. Maybe he would have been beaten by the Brawns but to drop to 8th with that much of a lead is a pretty awful result.

I'll have to check the pitstop thing. I'm pretty sure I looked into it at the time though and found no reason other than a lack of pace.

I had high expectations of Rosberg as he joined F1 and he showcased his talent in a number of races but near the end of 2011 and 2012 as Schumacher eventually got to grips with the car, he was struggling to beat him on a consistently and Schumacher was almost 20 years older.

We don't know what level Schumacher was at during his "second career"*, but it really does seem a strange criticism of Rosberg's F1 credentials that he did not beat a seven-time world champion by enough. He's probably closer to Hamilton than Button was when Hamilton is on top form, but probably doesn't have the same killer instinct and psychological confidence that Button has.

I believe that if Hamilton maintains top form, and they are in a Williams 1992 situation of a mano-a-mano championship fight, then Hamilton will prevail. I have been wrong before.

*copyright, D. Coulthard

teabagyokel
What do you mean, not beaten Schumacher by enough?
You went a little to far with your interpretation, I was stating the fact that he was starting to struggle against Schumacher, who was in his 40's, championships do not preserve you of ageing and the effects that come with it. ;)
Overall he gave Schumacher a good battering, did he not?

Plutus Hamiltons 2012 season was uber consistant.
Are you setting 2011 as the benchmark for his consistency, then I agree with you. I mean personally I have chosen what in my mind was his most consistent season to compare it to his others but I guess that is just a personal preference.
I know that the team made mistakes and he was more consistent than in previous years but there were still races where he did not seem to be on the highest of his levels like he was in 2007.

Not sure if he will do it this season but with 1 win in 2011, 2 last year and the car looking even better this year its not hard to believe that he will retire with more than 5.

Does anyone know if Mercedes had any 2010 - 2013 tyre related troubles in testing?

Back
Top Bottom