Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

This points system was specifically brought in to reward the winner with a greater points tally over the second and third place man it has been in place for several years now and yet this is the very first time it is being questioned as unfair
Is it? I saw complaints about it when it first came around, not seen any for a few years though as people are used to it now.

I wonder what Nico was really thinking, and truly like to say.

Rosberg-Hamilton-GP-China-2014-fotoshowImage-1fa5ff5a-773148-470x358.jpg

As much as Lewis seems to be in command right now, I don't think Nico should worry that much.

I mean Jenson just said in an interview the other day that as a teammate he considered Lewis to be otherworldly quick, particularly on one lap, but someone with incredible emotional roller coasters.

Lewis is on a roll now, obviously, and these are his words, but I can just see from that not-so-honest, no-crow's foot "smiles" that it takes immense energy from him to concentrate on staying this perfect this long. He's tense. I think he can still hit a low at some point during the season and Nico is not that much slower than him when both are at 100% to not be able to capitalize if or when that happens.

Nico's just has to keep doing what he does best: learn, learn and learn, study those data and be as meticulous as he's always been. In other words, not to panic due to the heavy psychological pressure he's under right now.

I think Nico is doing a great job and Lewis knows he has a fight on his hands. However to say Lewis hasn't got the edge at this point is to deny the facts. This weekend could be a crucial race, if Lewis wins again, Rosberg is in trouble. If Nico wins he'll gain momentum. If Lewis has another car issue , Nico is right back in there. If Nico has a car issue, he's in more trouble. It's still very finely balanced. Lewis said in an interview recently that he's studying all the tracks where Nico was quicker last year and working particularly on improving his performance on those tracks, damage limitation he called it. Bahrain was one such track and Lewis did indeed half his quali defecit to Nico and go on to win. Spain is another such track, so that will be interesting.
Planning the season In that way does not sound to me like a driver who cannot concentrate for long, is over emotional, tense, fragile, not cerebral etc etc. it sounds like someone very determined and with a marked strategy to succeed. Sure Lewis shows his emotions, doesn't mean it stops him thinking or driving.

The battle Hamilton and Rosberg had in Bahrain is already more than anything Vettel had to deal with in his championship years, apart from Turkey 2010 and Brazil 2012 perhaps. Not once do I remember him defending for his life so no it's far from the easiest win in history, and there's a hell of a long way to go in this championship.

Hamilton isn't even leading the championship, remember?

It's naive to say that Hamilton doesn't become affected by emotions or pressure, he has before and he can again. In fact those with a meticulous path tend to fall hardest when it goes wrong. Rosberg of course has also made a couple of mistakes when really needing to hold it together.

He hasn't got the edge, he's got the momentum but one swing, one issue, one more Bahrain where Nico come out on top, resets the clock.

I personally think Hamilton and maybe also Nico perform better when chasing rather than leading.

Of course Hamilton's affected by emotions, they all are. Most are better at hiding it than Hamilton but will still be affected. They're human beings. We're fallible. Nico's been more visibly rattled than Hamilton so far this season. Apart from Bahrain quali I can't see what Hamilton could have improved on his performance this season.
As to resetting the clock, that's exactly what I said in my post, it's finely balanced. Nico certainly isn't out of it.

Nico's looked more pissed off (although I'd also put that down to being more determined) but the mistakes are pretty level pegging so rattled isn't the right term.

When both cars are working and the weather is predictable the gap is small. Atticus has raised valid points that Nico can capitalise if/when Lewis has a low point or makes mistakes.

As I've said, chasing is easier than leading.

It's the old everything to lose scenario I'm referring to Jen. Rosberg in Singapore all those years ago. He was going to win, yet he made a mistake that he's never made before that cost him that win (and points)

Can't remember the race, (Canada?) Vettel was leading and under pressure and went wide on the last lap giving Button the win.

If you're chasing you've everything to gain.

It was Canada and it is that sort of thing that I would never expect to see from Lewis Hamilton. Bahrain this year is a perfect example of how Lewis can handle that sort of pressure. I can think of another example of where Vettel was overcome by the same pressure whilst leading, and that would be when Hamilton snatched the win from Vettel at the first race held at the Circuit of the Americas.

Wasn't there a cucumber in the way? Anyway, this is the Nico versus Lewis thread so can we bring things back.

Ta

FB

sushifiesta . Not necessarily bottled it, but didn't have the tools in his bag to keep Hamilton behind. Cucumber or no cucumber. Sorry, FB, was just continuing the parallel to illustrate where Hamilton seems to have more up his sleeve than Rosberg and where he is more resistant to pressure on track than most of his rivals, if not all. I think the point is made.

Last edited:
. Lewis said in an interview recently that he's studying all the tracks where Nico was quicker last year and working particularly on improving his performance on those tracks, damage limitation he called it.

racecub......Nico was faster than Lewis last year at tracks like Barcelona, because as Hamilton had readily admitted that he wasn't totally comfortable in the WO4. This year it's quite different for Lewis in the WO5, which he has expressed complete confidence and comfort with, and IMO we've seen as a result of that confidence, his first career hat trick at China.

Back
Top Bottom