Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

It's an explanation that supposes an immature, reckless moron driving.

I'm saying he had an understandable psychological issue that affected performance at the time, probably due to turbulence in his private life.

And the worst thing is that I both like and admire Lewis Hamilton, and spend half my time on here talking him down, because some people are so convinced he's perfect they are ready to drive away potential allies.

I hardly think they are allegations seeing as Lewis admitted himself that he was having personal issues that were affecting him and teabagyokel has an extremely valid point people are driven away and turned off of Hamilton by the inability of some to see the whole picture where Lewis is concerned.

But some will never see the glaringly obvious fact that being overly defensive is just as bad and sometimes worse than being overly offensive..

Lewis had a bad year in 2011. End of. He said so himself. It doesn't make him any less of a great racing driver. There is no need to try and twist it to make it out like his patch of bad form was aome gallent knight like attempt to get on terms with the Red Bull.

steve says 21/04/14 2:14pm
What evidence is there that Hamilton's driving better than in previous seasons? Aside from the occasional blip, Lewis has been this good his entire F1 career - the difference this season is that he finally has the best car. As for his performance in China, it was clearly less dominant than his win in Malaysia, where he took fastest lap and beat Rosberg by a similar margin, despite Nico having a clear run in the race. And is there any evidence that Lewis performs better when he's happy off-track? It seems to me that some if his best drives have been during periods of adversity. If anything, it's winning that makes him happy, rather than vice-versa. He didn't seem too upbeat on Friday afternoon when his car had balance issues

IMO this letter says it all.

Drivers are happy when they win.

Well you learn something new everyday.

Anyways back on topic. I have a sneaky suspicion that the name Rosberg is about to be added to the same list as Webber, Barrichello, Coulthard and Patrese.

Just don't think he can live with Lewis overva season at all.

I think you're likely right, but we need another handful of races to put the issue to bed. As we all know a single good weekend can turn things around, it's not gloom and doom for Rosberg just yet.

This is Nico Vs Lewis so I won't make too much comment on it but I do think Hamiltons mentality was well wide of the mark in 2011.

The way he broke Red-Bulls stranglehold on pole position in Korea and then slowly climbed out of the car like a broken man with clinical depression just didn't look at all right. I think the Hamilton of this year would trounce the Hamilton of 2011. In fact the Hamilton of any year would beat his 2011 self.

Lewis's annus horribilis was down to a combination of factors including mind-set, team errors and on-track circumstances. Just how big a part each of the "ingredients" played is highly debatable. The fact is that bad shit is like a London bus, it can be a while between buses and then a heap arrives all at once. There are some drivers on the grid today who will look back on this season and actually pat themselves on the back if they simply match Hamilton's 2011 results.

Therein lies the rub and challenge for Nico. Whilst he can maintain his confidence and fighting talk, and if the team can avoid DNF's and other issues due to technical or tactical errors, he's well in the game. However, a run of coming in second to his team mate compounded by DNF's and/or poor results will punch it's way into his psyche. When that happens he will cop the "anus horribilis" crap as his championship challenge fades into distant memory.

How this will play out is one of the things that makes this season interesting. Whilst the Mercedes domination lasts the Nico vs Lewis battle provides spice up front - and Nico's fight back to 2nd last weekend was a part of that. Meanwhile, on the tech' front (if we get to hear about it) seeing how the rest catch up and come into play is fascinating. Not only that but as the others get their drivers into play they will inevitably interfere with the fortunes of the Merc' chaps. Then we will see how well both drivers cope with the concomitant adversity. Nico may be leading the championship but he can't afford the luxury of bad luck striking Hamilton because that cuts both ways. I think he will need to punch above his weight next time out because if/when he loses the championship lead it will get into his head and it will be all downhill from there.

On balance, there's not a lot between the two in terms of age and experience (although Rosberg has been in F1 a season longer) so it's a pretty fair fight. Thus far, I'm enjoying it play out and just hope that the battle continues in a good spirit.

Remembering back to Monaco, I'm wondering if Nico's strength is in the slower turns. Barring reliability, the season may hinge on the balance between fast and slow, high and low downforce circuits.

Abu Dhabi is going to be the dullest race of the year. No one is going to risk making a move and lose the chance of double points.

Quintessentially That doesn't make sense because if you had double points for lets say for only the first race then it would take 7.2 races to catch up and further more you can't have .6 of a race well you can but only half points would be awarded and so the DNF man would still be behind so in effect it is four races to overhaul the DNF but it could be less as this assumes that the other driver always comes second which may not always be the case and anyway why is it such a big deal? DNF's can happen to any driver at any time I can only assume that the reason it is being made a big deal now is because it was Lewis who suffered the DNF

This points system was specifically brought in to reward the winner with a greater points tally over the second and third place man it has been in place for several years now and yet this is the very first time it is being questioned as unfair, why is that?

It can't possibly be unfair because it is the same for everyone which is not the definition of unfair as I understand it....

Edit.

I am not saying that you specifically said it was unfair but others on this forum have said this..

Last edited:
I think point systems work based on the merits of the situation. In a one-on-one situation like this, the medals system would perhaps be more effective. In a situation where it was reasonably possible for a [leading car] driver to finish 3rd or lower, then the medals idea would be absolutely stupid.

I'd go with the current system on the basis that if all F1 seasons had one team this far ahead, then we might as well all wrap up.

Back
Top Bottom