Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

He needed to have started the attack a couple of laps earlier I'm afraid, it took Alonso and Vettel about four laps for their end of race overtakes.

Rosberg admitted after the race he had a poor start possibly owing to being on the dirty side of the grid but he really needs pole and a lead into the first corner to make his seemingly faster package count because sooner or later Hamilton will find the optimal setup and he won't get a look in. Said the car was snapping away from him on corner entry and that's where Rosberg was catching him. Also interesting to see Hamilton strongly telling the pit to just do 2 front wing turns and not 3 like they told him.

Without the retirement in Australia Hamilton would more than likely by 35 points in front of Nico now, which is a hell of a lot different to 3pts. I've said this before but I'll say it again - with the Mercedes dominance how it is at the moment (one-twos pretty much guaranteed when both cars finish) the 32 point swing caused by a DNF is huge. I really hope the championship isn't decided by bad luck but it could well be.

We've had 20 classified finishers in the last two races. Reliability has very quickly got back to the level it was last year but I suppose teams might start to struggle towards the end of the season.

Good race between Lewis and Nico today, and happy that Hamilton had won, to now take the lead in the WDC. Nico kept me on edge throughout the entire race, and to be truthful, I would rather liked to have seen him finish .17sec behind Lewis, rather than what had occurred today of just 0.636 sec.

Lewis had to work for this one. Harder I think than for the other three, but he got it. He's now won on three tracks he's never won on before. It's looking good for Lewis but Nico is a very strong team mate and Lewis can't let up. As has been said, there's reliability and double points to contend with as well as a strong team mate.

I think that they are very much closer than most on here say. Rosberg finished pretty well the same position with respect to Hamilton as he started. Rosberg could well be thinking "OK, I've shown that I can catch him, that's half the job done. Now for the rest."

I don't think that he will stop trying even if it becomes mathematically impossible.

I think he had to work harder for Bahrain racecub.
I know what you mean. Bahrain was breathtaking, but I felt Lewis had it in hand. Today (Spain) Lewis seemed to me a little more desperate,less happy with the cars handling, asking advice from the engineers. When he's happy with the car he's confident he'll deliver. I thought today was more touch and go. Perhaps I'm reading to much into it. He still won with a car not handling quite right, but if Nico had been on his tail for ten laps, I'm not sure he'd have held him off. But he has the four wins, not bad.

Bill Boddy I can't help but agree with you.
What baffles me a little though about Sunday, is this: I spent virtually the whole race thinking that Rosberg was going to catch and pass Hamilton, having what was seemingly a slightly better-handling package (as commented on more than once by Brundle & Crofty). He seemed to be slightly faster than Lewis from about the third or fourth lap and was never more than about 4.5 seconds behind, even in the middle stint when on the supposedly 'slower' tyres. He even benefited from two quicker pit stops.
And yet he didn't catch and pass his team mate, and I can't quite fathom why.

After reading your last post Chad Stewarthill I suddenly tried to think of some Rosberg overtakes (that have stuck) that weren't off the start.

I'm scratching my head still.

In F1 its always said that catching is one thing but overtaking is another. I wonder if Nico has the first one down but the second one may be his weak spot.

When the cars are closely matched, only a few drivers can pull of a legitimate overtake. Lewis, Alonso, Kimi and Jenson when he has the car underneath him would be my top 3(4) in no order. Rosberg is obviously a very fast and precise driver but I’m not sure he has the natural instinct to coordinate foot and brain for a tight pass like the above mentioned. Obvious error towards the end of the final lap says it all really. A bit like Vettel chasing Hamilton in China last year. Got over excited with his braking and threw it away.

Back
Top Bottom