Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

But had the "shoe been on the other foot" Nico would have disappeared down the road because he and his car were quicker.
I think you've cherry picked the scenario I was suggesting a little so I'll rephrase it for clarity: if Hamilton was in the quicker car and better tyres would Rosberg have been able to keep Hamilton behind him? Hamilton's shown he has great race craft and can overtake in places that are atypical. In the scenario I suggest I believe Hamilton would have succeeded where Rosberg didn't.

There were two things that led to Button beating Hamilton...

Jensen & Lewis

Now, I am in the camp that believes that Lewis with his head in the right place is nigh on unbeatable in same kit, but he's lost at least two seasons through distracting himself

So far this season, all I can say is that I'm glad I'm not his teammate. Nico must be hoping for a distraction soon as, so far, he seems to have thrown everything but the kitchen sink at beating Lewis, and it's not bearing fruit

Give it another three or four races and I might believe that Lewis has grown up and that we have another Alonso on the circuit, but with better single lap skills

There were two things that led to Button beating Hamilton...

Jensen & Lewis

Now, I am in the camp that believes that Lewis with his head in the right place is nigh on unbeatable in same kit, but he's lost at least two seasons through distracting himself

So far this season, all I can say is that I'm glad I'm not his teammate. Nico must be hoping for a distraction soon as, so far, he seems to have thrown everything but the kitchen sink at beating Lewis, and it's not bearing fruit

Give it another three or four races and I might believe that Lewis has grown up and that we have another Alonso on the circuit, but with better single lap skills

Alonso is having problems of his own. He has been hailed a master at car development, but as evidenced by this year's Ferrari that doesn't seem to be the case. Alonso has been at Ferrari for more than 6 years now but so far he has not contributed anything in the form of a World Title, if anybody needs to do a bit of growing up it is Alonso. Sitting in the garage and looking cool during practice sessions, whilst other cars are on circuit getting as much data as possible, will not help his cause at all. He can take a leaf out of Lewis' book, he might learn a thing or two about maturity and hardwork!

I am really confused by the idea that Alonso has been at Ferrari for 6 years. I would also suggest that the loss of the 2010 title was more down to Ferrari erring than he.

He nearly brought 2 titles to a team that shouldn't have got near.

Interestingly, despite an active Twitter account, he's shown the maturity to not tweet confidential data.

Interestingly, despite an active Twitter account, he's shown the maturity to not tweet confidential data.

The very same maturity he displayed in spygate and crashgate. Alonso who usually throws his toys so the team can order his teammate out of the way instead of overtaking them on the track! Alonso who like Button just relies on the misfortunes of others and never excels at anything. Facts speak for themselves Hamilton beat 'mature' Alonso in his rookie year!

I assume that you make reference here to Lewis tweeting the data about the new wing at Spa? I'd like to add a comment and refer back also to the data sharing which was discussed further back in this thread.
I think the data sharing that goes on at Mercedes is a great idea, if one side of the garage find and advantage, it's shared, benefitting the team. Each driver at Mercedes has a dedicated team of engineers helping 'its' driver get an advantage, to exploit any available data to its drivers advantage. The engineers talk of 'us' and 'them' . There's healthy competition, but the data is shared. It's two way traffic.
The data sharing at McLaren was different. The competition was removed, the 'us' and 'them' was removed and it became an excerise of raising the average performance rather than exploiting the excellent. The engineers were not encouraged to find an edge for 'their man' but rather to follow the lead of the then TP and the agenda he had for McLaren.

It has been documented that Hamilton's data was used extensively to help Button during his low mid season period in 2012. Documented too that the might of the engineering department were likewise engaged in speeding up Button ( at a time when Lewis was getting podiums and still in the championship hunt) and it's great that Lewis was able to help his slower team mate, even if it did distract from the championship challenge. But where was that data sharing at Spa when Lewis was given a two second a lap slower wing and advised that there was little performance difference? Unlike the current state with Rosberg and Hamilton, it wasn't a two way process.
So back to the tweet gate, since that is what I was originally replying to.Yes, Lewis was a little miffed and tweeted the wing differences.........Alonso has used another teams data( spy gate) been involved with having a team mate crash on purpose(crash gate) , blocked a team mate in the pits, asked for team mates to be moved aside......yet this is considered a mature and complete driver?? I think Lewis and Alonso are the best two drivers on the grid, but lets not fall for the 'immature' v 'complete' driver myth.

So back to the tweet gate, since that is what I was originally replying to.Yes, Lewis was a little miffed and tweeted the wing differences.........

Yeah, but he shouldn't have. He should have been miffed, taken his photos of McLaren's telemetry, put them in his briefcase and taken them straight to Mercedes. All tweeting them did was hand the information over to Red Bull and Ferrari.

Alonso has used another teams data( spy gate) been involved with having a team mate crash on purpose(crash gate) , blocked a team mate in the pits, asked for team mates to be moved aside
  1. Yes, but I do feel Alonso was quite a way down the chain on that decision, and I also feel they all do it.
  2. Innocent until proven guilty.
  3. No-one condemned him for that more than I did.
  4. Of course. He's an F1 driver.
It is 2014. It is 2 years after these events for Hamilton and 6 years since the most substantive ones for Alonso. They've both moved on. To say Alonso hasn't handled the time he's been at Ferrari immaturely is as stupid as saying drivers should have carte blanche to release what information they like because they're pissed off.

Not that McLaren weren't a sack of crap acting in the interests of neither of their drivers in 2012.

I don't necessarily (yet) subscribe to the idea that Rosberg is already a beaten man. The two were close in Bahrain and while Hamilton is on top right now, there are plenty of opportunities for the momentum to swing back in favour of the German. If Lewis were to win the next two or three battles and take the lead in the driver's championship, then I might begin to reconsider.

Nico won't be lying down anytime soon. He told Brundle on the podium that he's done saying still in the lead of the Championship, as if it's a foregone conclusion he'll be overhauled.

It's also evident that any retirement could prove detrimental to either Mercedes driver's title hopes. Hamilton's 3 wins on the trot haven't been enough to overcome his mechanical failure in Australia yet, and another untimely gremlin might make life very difficult.

Rosberg made a mistake in qualifying and cost himself a chance at a victory in China. If we see dry conditions on Saturday going forward then Nico will always be there to trouble Lewis.

Finally, talking of tweets now is even more pointless than it was then. You can be sure that neither of the parties involved has given it a minutes thought in months/years.

I think the manner in which Fernando congratulated Lewis at the end of yesterday's race, and the manner in which Lewis responded, shows how much they've both moved on from 2007 and its aftermath.

Perhaps it's high time we all did.

Indeed! As I said in my post I consider Alonso one of the two best drivers on the grid. I mentioned his transgressions only to bring a little balance to the suggestion that he is the complete driver and Hamilton is immature. They both have faults but are both superb drivers.

On Rosberg and Hamilton, I think at this point Lewis has a clear edge, but it's still early days and DNF's will be costly as could be the double points. Rosberg is fast, he's fair and he will fight all the way. Lewis cannot let up. But the talk I hear of Rosberg being 'a thinking' driver and Lewis just a fast instinctive driver is I think silly talk. As was the talk that Lewis couldn't save tyres and wouldn't be able to save fuel. It's time those myths were dispensed with now.

I think some people are trying to convince some other people that this is going to be a great season but the fact is it is just another one horse race with a different horse and a different jockey.

You can't polish a turd but you can wrap it up in nice silvery paper, you can put a bow on it, you can even disguise its smell and put a cherry on top but it is still and always will be a turd...

Back
Top Bottom